when bolting a tranny to a motor...

-

eviper21

Reaction score
you bolt the torque converter on to the flex plate first? then slide the tranny in? I dont see any other way it can go together, because i know the flex plate and TC need to be attached, and there's no way to do that with the the TC in the transmission first.

ive never attached an Automatic before, just a 5 speed :sign3: so dont bash me to hard.

i just wanna make sure its right, because i know automatics can be finiky. Thanks!

NO!!!!! Do NOT bolt the converter to the flex plate first.Put the converter on the mainshaft-spin it until it drops completly down onto the pump fingers.You can take a straight edge across the transmission housing and see that it has dropped into place-lower than the edge of the housing.Then you can bolt it to the back of the engine,pull the converter up to the flex plate with your hands,turn it until it lines up with the bolt holes,put one bolt in-loose-turn the engine putting one at a time until you have all four in-then tighten them.

Make sure you put fluid in the converter before you slid it in the tranny/bolt it up to the engine

the converter goes on the input shaft of the trans...the notches on the converter have to engage the pump inside the trans..

then the trans with converter is bolt to the back of the trans...the converter then can be bolted to the flexplate...and use locite on the converter bolts

only put 4 quarts in the trans first, then start, any more it will puke out of the front of the trans on the floor. YOu will thing your trans is shot. Then you will have to add more then double check........ anybody else have this happen

you bolt the torque converter on to the flex plate first? then slide the tranny in? I dont see any other way it can go together, because i know the flex plate and TC need to be attached, and there's no way to do that with the the TC in the transmission first.

ive never attached an Automatic before, just a 5 speed :sign3: so dont bash me to hard.

i just wanna make sure its right, because i know automatics can be finiky. Thanks!

Ummmmm... Exactly what model of transmission we talking about first ?

make sure trans is in neutral when you start you car....NOT park...neutral...

youll never get it together by bolting the converter to the flexplate first

Don't say that, I've done that. Mind you I was doing it on a 67 Impala fastback and what felt like a mile long runway to line that converter up with that tranny.

its a 904 tranny bolting up to my 318.

how do i get bolts in there to bolt the flex plate to the TC once the tranny is bolted to the engine? Is there like an access plate on the bottom with just enough room?

and i got a couple different answers on filling it with fluid. TC first? the 4 quarts in the tranny? How much goes in the TQ?

pour about a quart in the converter....

once the motor and trans are mated , you can move the converter from underneath to line up the flexplate with the converter bolt holes...

dont put any trans fluid in the trans until it is in the car unless you want it all over your driveway..

one more thing...

one bolt on flexplate and converter is offset.....before you bolt the flex plate onto the engine..lay the flexplate on the converter and get all 4 bolt holes lined up....then paint a mark on the flexplate and converter so you can just line those up ...otherwise it could take you several trys to get all 4 bolt holes to line up on the flexplate and converter

and do not tight up any converter bolts until you have them all started...just screw them in so they dont hit the back of the engine while turning it to get to the other bolts

you are going to need to turn the engine over by hand once they are mated so you can rotate the flexplate around to get to the other bolts...

Don't say that, I've done that. Mind you I was doing it on a 67 Impala fastback and what felt like a mile long runway to line that converter up with that tranny.
ok i wont. but i will say that you will have a difficult time trying...

and spend the 25 cents on a NEW O-RING for the dipstick tube. save you much aggravation ;)

If the vertor doesn't need to slide forward 1/8" to 1/4", it ain't seated in the trans.

before you mount the flex plate ,the verter and flex plate are indexed also ,,be sure you take the flex plate and mate it to the verter , mark with paint, grinder , chisel , something so you know where to start bolting; , the flex plate is also indexed to the crank

alright, sounds good, thanks allot guys! saved me a bunch of headache for sure

Does anyone else wipe a thin coat of red moly on the converter snout so it doesnt burn the seal on start up?

^^lol

ok a couple questions...

why start in neutral and not park?

where can i get an o ring for the dip stick?

and is the converter snout the little nub that stick out the converter into the crank? bout 1/2"-1" long

^^lol

ok a couple questions...

why start in neutral and not park?

where can i get an o ring for the dip stick?

and is the converter snout the little nub that stick out the converter into the crank? bout 1/2"-1" long

valve body will allow pump to circulate tranny fluid in neutral ...but not park...that is why you check a TF tranny in neutral....

any part store should have a selection of O ring .....

ok cool.

so just get an o ring thats the same size? I know some o rings (especially with water) need to be EXACTLY the SAAAME o ring or itll leak like an SOB....this isnt the case here? just a nice new oring should do the trick yea? lol

Anyone that even thinks you should bolt the flex plate to the torque converter first shouldn't even be attemping this job. Any advise you give him is only adding to the chance he will be getting seriously injured under that car. Don't let him forget to put the u-joint on the rear and then install the driveshaft.

-
Back