When did Chrysler start stamp VINs on engine blocks?

-

plugger340

Reaction score
I have a 340 block dated 06-22-67, so that should make it date correct for a 68 vehicle. I can’t find a VIN on it or even a stamping pad for the VIN. Did they start stamping the VIN on the engine blocks at the start of production of the 68 models, or at some point after they had started production?
The casting numbers are
0521 and 2780930-340-5
Thanks

I thought it was 69 but don't quote me

Here check this....

One year that is a potential problem is 68. That is because 68 was the first year of the VIN on dash, and the dash frame can easily be removed. That year has no partial VINS on the body, only the "order" numbers, and if you have no way of justifying them to the VIN, you can't prove anything about the car

We had a member here who bought a rolling body---and no dash. I don't know what he finally did

Lots of 68's have the partial VIN stamped on the engine and trans housing side by each... top of block and housing

Check the area circled in yellow on your block.

IMG_9198.jpeg

That would be the sequence number on the rim of the block where trans mates. You need a build sheet to tie it to your vin number. That number will also be stamped on the body under the trunk lid gasket and on top of radiator support. That ties the engine to the body.

That would be the sequence number on the rim of the block where trans mates. You need a build sheet to tie it to your vin number. That number will also be stamped on the body under the trunk lid gasket and on top of radiator support. That ties the engine to the body.
That is not the SO number on a 68. It is the VIN being 8 Assembly plant code xxxxxx.

This must be it …
DW34023850329
That looks more like a number that would be stamped on the front of the block, drivers side, just below the top of the deck.

Let me say the same thing @dadsbee said, another way. Look on top of the casting on the rear of the block....the one that the bellhousing bolts to. If the VIN was stamped in 1968, that is where it will be. More to the drivers side top of that cast flange. The transmission VIN will be stamped on an automatic trans bellhousing directly below it...or side by side, like mentioned. Look at post #13 above for an example.

-
Back