when did you 1st ?

-

Dart_Doctor

Asa style
Reaction score
well i like starting things like this for u all to talk bout.. :happy1: Now when did you get into the A Body mopars ? How did it happen ? Who helped u out ? :hello1:

I bought a 65 Dart in 1967. It was a 2 door slant with a auto. I bought it for $400. it had 81,000 miles on it. It belonged to a salesman who traveled around the south. It was the first car I owned that had A/C.

At the time I had a 57 Ford Fairlane that was my daily driver. It was also a six cylinder, but with a 3 speed. My girl friend at the time asked me to teach her to drive. I tried to do that in the Ford, but the fact was the clutch confused her, and first gear wasn't her best friend.

I took her out it the Dart, and she did well. She took her driving test in it, and somehow it became her car. We used it as our "good car" because it was newer, and it had A/C. Except for the luxo-barges, not to many cars around had A/C, so we thought we'd arrived! lol

In 1968 I bought my first new car. It was a 68 Hemi Roadrunner 833/Dana. I ordered the car, because I couldn't find the one I wanted on a lot, anywhere in Jersey. It was a yellow hardtop with black interior. AM/FM radio, power steering and power disc brakes, and that's about it.

The Dart and the Hemi engine brought me to Mopar. The funny part is for "A" bodies, I prefer the Dodge version over the Plymouth version, and for "B" Bodies I prefer the Plymouth versions, and in C bodies, I prefer station wagons. :scratch:

Thats cool its like the story behind .. Mine u just got to live yours lol Theres a big story bout how we got into the A bodys . Well in 66 my paw paw was looking for some thing to tote the famliy around my dad my uncle and there sissys . but ya back to the car well he had a 50 soming thing chevy traded it in on a new 66 dart /6 3 on the tree blue on blue 4door . now that car lasted my paw paw along time tell he got the famliy grown . then he sold it i dont remember who but it was some one in the famliy then some time later when it needed a motor and some paint my uncle got her back and put a motor and my dad painted it. Now that paw paws gone now passed way form cancer .It will stay in the famliy ... Now 2 a body that got it started in the famliy was the 64 dart vert my dad was suposed to go on a date with my mo some time in 84 lol well she stoood him up . and he was driving his 66 ranchairo and he see the vert . On the side of the street in a car lot .he traded the guy for the vert .. the later got marred in that car i dont have pics cuz i aint got a scanner then later few years .. i came along dad had a 67 s 383 4 speed cuda and sold it to pay bills cuz i was born at 7 months .. so i had lots of stuff messed up ... Ive always wanted to get him that car he gave up for me ..Now as for me the vert is right out side lol ff to 98 ish .. my uncle and dad have lots of a's im into them now lol i got drove to school in a 66 dart 318 4 speed car he still has it ..and mom drove a 65 val wagon some times when i was good lol dad drove the street strip duster lol So its in my blood i guess wow

I started liking mopars at 15. My dad had a 71 dodge sweptline pick up and a buddy of mine had a 69 gtx 440 4 speed,and my now brother inlaw had a 66 dart gt 273 commando with a 4 speed and his dad worked for chrysler.I thought they were the coolest cars around.MY FIRST A BODY was a 66 barracuda /6 3 speed when I was 20 i drove this while i restored my dads 71 dodge sweptline he gave me at 17,starting a family at 23 forced me to sell both an get a dodge caravan.After the kids were grown i got my 68 dodge dart gt i have at 45,its in storage all ready for paint.My 66 valiant thats my daily driver Igot a couple months ago at age 49 and I love this car fun to drive thats a little about me!!!

My dad retired from Chrysler and I can remember that he brought a calendar home from work one day with a different mopar picture for every month. I don't remember how old I was at the time, I would guess around 10? Well, I went through the different pics and the one that I liked best was a lime green duster!

Wellll, lets see... (Day dream/History music in the back round)

It all started right after my freind blew up his 383 racing a Porchse. He refused to loose the battle. He he he. Since he toasted the engine real good, he picked up a 67 B'cuda to play with. I had no idea back then therer were different bodies to cars.

He came down to my house with the car. A bit beat up and ungainly in looks, coupled with the famous pea green color. Noting it was his second MoPar, I made mention. I had to enquire! WTF!? 2 cars from the same company in a row? I ask, "What gives!?"

A simple reply, "You GOTTA getcha one of these cars!"

Ok, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I listen and check out a '74 Duster. Brown w/a 318. After a week.... then a month, my parents noted to me that this car actualy stuck around for awhile. They inquire, "What gives?"

I replied, "It's the only car that takes my abuse and comes back for more."
And I had it till I wrecked it.

See ya Chevy!

In high school, about 20 years ago. A buddy of mine got a '66 Formula S as a driver. He later got a '74 or '75 Valiant Brougham (still in high school). We've both had a number of cars since then. He had a '73 Dart Sport for a while that he fixed up, and right after that I got my first - a 67 Dart 2dr post. Now he's got a '72 Satellite, and I've got my Duster.

I knew abodes from what I read in magazines but never was around a real hi po one till a friend got a 72 340 Demon in EV2. I was 14 or so but was allowed to help out at his little bodyshop during the summer.
Tony was older and picked up the Demon as a driver.
I remember being a passenger for many miles.
truth be known...the car was a dog. It was. Maybe it was out of tune, tired motor...who knows, who cares. It was about the most badass thing I was ever in, up to that point. Definently burned a strong love for Abodies. Thanks for the memory Tony! I owe ya a beer some time!

Hard to believe but, my father had a 1935 dodge. He found it on the side of the road shortly after he and my mother were married in 1951. The driver was about a mile down the road. The car had thrown a rod. Daddy picked the man up and drove him on into town to a phone.

The man was so pissed of with the car, that he signed over the title to daddy and told him to take it. Since they were in Florida and my parents lived in Macon, Georgia, daddy was gonna have to go back anyway.

Daddy and his cousin ander Forrester went back and pulled the car back to Macon a couple of days later. They found a 1935 Plymouth engine and stuck in the car and daddy drove it until 1966, when hard times forced him to sell it.

Now here's the part nobody believes. I was born in March of 1965. I have memories of being held by my sister, three years my senior in the back seat, while daddy taught mama how to drive a clutch. I have even described details only someone would know who was there.....and I was less than a year old. Weird, I know.....but true.

Fast forward to 1971. My grandfather bought a branks new shiny B5 blue Dodge Dart Swinger. 318, 904 and 7.25. That car probably got me into Mopars. I can remember when I got to be driving age, they still had the car and it had like 40K miles on it.

Every now and then I got to drive it to the store for them. I promise you it had every bit of those 230 horses too. It would slap light that E/78/14 up easy as you please.

My first cousin still has the car to this day....although rotting and wasting away in his back yard in the Auburn, Alabama area. Ipined for that car and would have restored it, but it just was not meant to be.

In 1980, when I was a few months old, my Dad had white 2-door 65 Valiant. He had it only few months, but I must have the spark then :D 20 years later, I bought my first -64 Valiant, and now I have white 2-door 65 Valiant :)

A-bodies specifically? My first A-body was a '69 340 Swinger - Charger Red with a white butt stripe, and black bench seat interior. Not a bad way to get into both Mopars and A-bodies!
My 'ex' and I bought it used in November 1969 from a guy who was going into the Navy and his parents wouldn't keep the payments up for him. Just a couple of months old with Cragar S/S wheels and a wooden Grant steering wheel already added. Bought it for $2500.
We both had a lot of fun with that car. Cruising Whittier Blvd. in SoCal and racing both on the street (shhhhh, don't tell anybody) and at OCIR. Of course, every trip to the track had to be quicker so changes slowly took place in the usual sequence: intake manifold, carb, headers, cam change, rear gears, transmission build.
At the time it came off the street it was pretty nasty with an 850 mechanical secondary Holley, reverse-pattern manual shift valve 727, 4.89 gears, and a nasty cam.
Then I got stupid and decided to turn it into a "real" race car built to run NHRA Super Street on a 10.90 index. Life got in the way halfway through the build when my ex-wife and I split up. I kept the kids, the house, and the car but didn't have the funds as a single parent to finish the build.
Fast forward about eight years - I remarry and new wife doesn't have the passion for racing that ex-wife did so the Dart gets sold during a minor financial crisis.
Fast forward a bunch more years and the "Mopar Madness" disease resurfaces and I come home from work and announce that I just bought a '69 Dart on eBay. Today the build on that one continues as I'm saving (for the third time now) for paint and continue to accumulate parts for the final build.
Going to be a 380hp 360 crate, reverse-pattern manual shift 727, haven't decided on gearing yet. Oh, and the color? Viper red with a white butt stripe, and black interior with aftermarket bucket seats.
Stay tuned.

My 67 is my first. "Back in the day" I owned a 64 440, 426,-- a 69 383 4 speed RR,-- and a 70 440 sixpack RR. Stuck a 340 in my old Landcruiser. Now, in my later years, I actually started looking for another B, and could not find a clean straight one that I could afford.

So I ran into this 67. I just cannot believe how much I like this little car. It will never be a show car, and I intend to drive it, which is exactly what I've been doing.

In 1966 my Mom needed a good car, Dad researched consumer reports and on a family vacation rented a Valiant to try it out. Intended to buy a V100 170 but the dealer had a beige V200 225 my Mom liked so Dad spent the extra. Riding home from the dealer, enjoying the new car smell, I stuck my chewing gum on the dashboard, what was I thinking? During the break-in period we were on a stretch of road and Dad kicked it down and I remember his words, 'this car is a bomb!' Later that year, the Valiant pulled into the carport with my newborn baby sister. My Mom drove her Valiant for 30 years, so even when things were tough, it was still with us. So I am just very very sentimental for a-bodies.

when i was 15 my dad gave me a 1972 360 out of his dodge truck that needed an overhaul. all i had was this motor no car. took it to shop class at school tore it down and sent the block and crank to the machine shop. ground my own valves and put it back together. every one else was working on fords and chevy's so i had to be different. a friend of mine had a brother that had a 82 camaro with a 327 in it that seemed to be the car to out run. 45 miles from home i found a 73 duster v8 car with no motor,trans or front windshield. bought it for 150.00 it was about 30 degrees that day with snow on the roads we pulled it home with my grandpas ltd and a tow hitch. the front end was to light for the slick roads so i road in the car to help steer and brake. they all laughed at my yellow a body untill spring came and i spanked the camaro by 2 cars on our 1/4. been hooked on a body's ever since.

My moms exboy friend got me in t Mopars and showed me the ropes.

I was 10 at the time when Lyle picked up a 70 340 4 speed Dart. Them hood pins, rally rims, and hood scoops sucked me right in. Then we went for a drive and I was hooked forever! I still have that old burnt orange Dart and it makes me feel like that first drive in it back when I was 10 every time I take her out.

My Dad got me started in 1967 when he bought his first new Plymouth Fury. It was Burnt Orange 318/3 in the tree and he could not drive it. Every time he would start off he always gave it too much gas and the tires would go up in smoke. His first year he went through 2 rear sets of tires and hardly put any miles on it. A friend of his taught him how to drive it a month before he traded to a 68 Fury more door with a automatic.

My first Mopar was a 1965 Plymouth Sport Fury with a 440/727 I had a blast in that car.

2008 mopar nat's ---before that I was gm all the way--boy people change!!!!!--just went to the nat's with some mopar freaks i hung out with--that's all it took!!!!!!!!

My dad had a 1957 Plymouth Fury, a 1961 Dodge Dart (full size), 1965 Dodge Polara, 1969 Dodge Pickup and a 1970 Dodge Polara when I was growing up so it was only natural my first car was a Mopar too. Bought a brand new 1973 318 Duster the week I got out of HS.

Attachments

• 73_Duster.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 156
When I was 16 my cousins (They were brothers) had put together a 69 RoadRunner that they drag raced. Of course they are 20yrs older than me. I started hanging with them more and more. One, Donnie, also has a 77 Warlock 2wd that's been completely restored, wooden bed and all, but...it' been lowerd, ladder barred, 31x17x15's on it, weld pro stars, 440, fuel cell and battery in bed. He took his sweet time building this truck...like 15 years... buying only NOS stuff like the grille, side steps, and even finding bolts in junk yards to keep this thing all Mopar!! I watched as he would work on it and I think hanging out with them is what got me hooked. Oh, he can drive the truck to St. Louis (100mi away) run 12.70's at the track and drive it home while getting 12mpg. Not bad I'd say! He's now currently building a 73 Dart w/440. My dad bought my first car when I was 17, a 71 Dart Swinger 2dr 318 for $300! That was in 1997. Rebuilt it, daily driver and drag car in high school.
Also, just to show how deep Mopar is in my family: Dad drives a 74 Adventurer SE club cab 2wd w/400BB, My cousin Donnie has the 77 Warlock and the 73 Dart, My cousin Peyton has a 70 Duster(Lemon Twist) 440, My cousin Billy also has a 70 Duster(Lime Green) 452 Indy Head motor. Distant cousin Del has fully restored 69 SuperBee 383 and his brother John had a fully restored 70 440 6pack Cuda.
I currently own my 66 Valiant and the wifes 2006 Jeep Commander w/5.7 Hemi. Which I've tried many times to convince her to let me pull the motor for my Valiant :) Only to no avail :(

when I was 10 years old in 1970, I was already infactuated with cars, and mopars in paticular, as I was a huge Richard Petty fan, and my parents always had chrysler products. When I first saw an ad for the then new 340 duster, and demon, I knew I wanted one. When I turned 16 I started looking for my first car (in 1976), and I got a white 340 duster. Loved them ever sense!

My father was a ford nut as was most of the family,in high school i bought my first car a 68 440 4 speed road runner it was not a show car just a beater,as time progressed i had my share of cars after the rr was a 71 torino 429 then a 76 chevy 4x4 mud truck, a 74 toyota corolla 400 sbc, a 7? pinto 351 cleavland, 69 olds cutlass 455, 78 pontiac lemans wagon prostreet, 79 impala 355 sbc, 69 chevy c10 406 sbc, 95 ram 3500 dsl, 98 ram dsl, 91 nissan 240sx, i was between projects and went looking for a camaro or truck to build went to this guys house to look at a truck and there she was my cuda i barly looked at the truck i had never see one up close and was hooked immediatly had everything i wanted factory air,power steering,auto,v-8. I could not help myself after an hour and a half i owned it [he did not want to sell but finally he cracked]. A bodies are a sickness i'm very pleased with my cuda and now i want another 66 but a valient with the same options as my cuda,my most wanted mopar is another roadrunner [sorry] and maybe some day i'll have another one but a do like the early a bodies 64-66.

-
Back