When getting a major $$ deal on a car

-

44070dart

How the hell did I get this old..
Reaction score
Just read an article about buying a car that is way under priced. The article was about a very original 66,000 mile barn kept '70 Barracuda Convertible for 2k. The editor of the magazine seeing it and called to speak with the owner. He said the guy was in his eighties and had the car from new. The price was wrong as he wanted 200K for the car.

This left me wondering would you or wouldn't you.

I bought my '68 Charger 18 months ago (my dream car) from a guy who's father had owned it for 36 years and had passed. I called but I was late as some idiot had put a deposit on it. Then this fool is jerking the owner around for a month. The sellers mother, who is 84, was upset seeing the car around, reminding her of her husband of 60 years. So after a month of not hearing from the seller, I get an email asking if I'm still interested in the car. I'm shocked and tell the guy YEAH. I thought it was gone. I go about a 100 miles into Canada to look the car over, KNOWING I'm buying it. I ask the guy what would you take. He says, 22k, he pauses, then says Canadian :eek:(said like a question, not definitive). So I know I can get it for 20k CND, but I'm Very Happy with the 22k CND price for an original 383/auto/ 81,000 mile Charger, in rock solid driver condition. It was a steal in my book. I would have paid 30k CND.

Question is where would YOU draw the line, if at all.

The way I look at it if the seller doesn’t need the money and likes me they can give me the valuable car because they know I'm a sentimental fool and I will give the car a good home.
I've got good ju ju.

Negotiations:

You and the seller come to a price and conditions of the sale that both are happy with. Then do the deal, just between the two of you.

Each person puts their own value on the situation. You want a nice classic car, they want it gone. You don't know their financial situation, maybe they just want enough to pay off their grandson's student loan as they have the rest of their life situated.

It's all where people put the value of the transaction.

When I use to flip them in my Hayday, I would steal the shirt off someone's back if they were fool hardy enough to sell something at an outrageously low price......

Fast forward to today.... I would be fair withing reason... Even today if I ran up on something that could easily be flipped and felt the need to make a hussle I would compensate the seller if the purchase price was extremely below market... But car guys will typically look out for their own interest and not look back. That's my experience in the hobby anyways....

JW

Just read an article about buying a car that is way under priced. The article was about a very original 66,000 mile barn kept '70 Barracuda Convertible for 2k. The editor of the magazine seeing it and called to speak with the owner. He said the guy was in his eighties and had the car from new. The price was wrong as he wanted 200K for the car.

I bought my '68 Charger 18 months ago (my dream car) from a guy who's father had owned it for 36 years and had passed. I called but I was late as some idiot had put a deposit on it. Then this fool is jerking the owner around for a month. The sellers mother, who is 84, was upset seeing the car around, reminding her of her husband of 60 years. So after a month of not hearing from the seller, I get an email asking if I'm still interested in the car. I'm shocked and tell the guy YEAH. I thought it was gone. I go about a 100 miles into Canada to look the car over, KNOWING I'm buying it. I ask the guy what would you take. He says, 22k, he pauses, then says Canadian :eek:(said like a question, not definitive). So I know I can get it for 20k CND, but I'm Very Happy with the 22k CND price for an original 383/auto/ 81,000 mile Charger, in rock solid driver condition. It was a steal in my book. I would have paid 30k CND.

I've been on both sides of the equation, and I hope that I was fair in both situations. If the seller is not aware of the true value of the item, I will try to make sure that they're informed, but at the same time I'm not going to walk away from a great buy because they don't know what they are doing. I had a 1997 GMC Jimmy for sale last week, cheap, just wanted to get rid of it. A woman came to see it, and within a few minutes of talking with her I realized that she had no idea what she wanted. I eventually got her to walk away from it and reconsider the minor repairs that her existing vehicle needed instead of buying something else that could be more expensive than it was worth.

I felt guilty giving a guy $40 for a Hemi Vertex magneto with 2 caps and some 8.8 hemi plug wires attached and a blower crank hub. Thats what he asked for it and I was fast with the 2 $20's. I've reached out to a few new members here and advised their sale price was out of line, either high or low. What good it did is unknown, but I'd hate to let a newbie squander a cash cow forn peanuts or embarass themselves on a $1500 stock slant long block listing.

I hate flippers.
A few years ago i saw a very well known person in the mopar community, browbeat, harrange and generally whine about a rare part he wanted. The price asked was very fair, but this person hung around and hung around until the seller lowered his price, just to get rid of him

Minutes later, the very same part (very rare item, unquestionably the same item) was in well known mopar persons space, marked triple what the original owner was asking.
Okay, its worth more money. Then why did you have to beat the guy down some more, you prick!?! Pay him a fair price.
I have refused to buy anything from that prick to this day.

I hate flippers.
A few years ago i saw a very well known person in the mopar community, browbeat, harrange and generally whine about a rare part he wanted. The price asked was very fair, but this person hung around and hung around until the seller lowered his price, just to get rid of him

Minutes later, the very same part (very rare item, unquestionably the same item) was in well known mopar persons space, marked triple what the original owner was asking.
Okay, its worth more money. Then why did you have to beat the guy down some more, you prick!?! Pay him a fair price.
I had something like that happen to me years ago. A guy I knew who was a flipper was after a part I had, I had a couple of them, but he was insistent that he wanted the best one I had, which I was going to use on my own car, claimed that he needed it to close a sale on one of his cars, blah blah blah, pestered me for half a day about it until I got tired of him and let him have it cheap. A week later he was selling the same damn part for double what I sold it for.

I hate flippers.

hmmm.

The wheels are turning in my head. I have a mental list of possibilities.

What I hate is when I get a good rapore with a seller (usually a senior or widow) and they say "just give me what you think is fair". Oh man, I like to get a deal now and again, but I always overpay when they say that. :BangHead:

Reverse situation. I bought a ton of mopar stuff for 500. The guy had bought out somebody’s hoard and desperately needed the space. I took al I could stash. Left 1/2 cars, wheels, the bulky stuff. I made 10k

Back in 1997 I tried to buy a 69 charger from a lady, I was very nice I offered her 1500 for it. Rusty pos.,a week later she sold it to my friend for 1200. Needless to say *****

You did good brother/sister, don’t second guess yourself.

If I'm the seller I try to get the most I can...if I'm the buyer I will go to the mat to get the best price I can. I go into a deal on both sides with a number in mind. I don't sway too far from that number on either side of the deal. It's an art, a dance, be respectful but, try for what works for you. Everybody has a number..seller...buyer...both have a number. I always try to make sure that if I need to unload the car that I wont lose my ***.

My price is what it is worth to me to keep in my garage. That is my final figure, my first figure is what is fair market value but where is the BOOK? \\ha

BOOK???? You will always have the ones that claim-TOO MUCH! And then the others that claim-TOO CHEAP!!! I bought a new car and struggled to pay the payments after I paid-at the time-a big down payment for a car that wasn’t what I ordered. We have to make up our own mind about the”sale” price or the”no sale” price.

My price is what it is worth to me to keep in my garage. That is my final figure, my first figure is what is fair market value but where is the BOOK? \\ha
What price ?? Priceless!!
My son wants me to leave the car for him and he’ll pass it in etc.

i suppose it is or should be based on the rarity of the parts, Mopar a body rally dash? yeah isnt going to be cheap especially if everything is there and works. fender extensions for 70-72 dart,apparently they are drying up, they wont be cheap.

We all remember stories of the young guy that bought a new 69 Hemi Roadrunner, got drafted, left it parked back on the farm in the barn, died in action in Viert Nam, and 20 years later someone stumbles onto that car and the dad and buys it for what dad priced it at, some rediculus low figure. Well love bargains, but who wants to go to sleep at night feeling like a total asshole. But then again if the buyer tells the dad it is priced too low and why, good chance it would get sold to someone else. Life works out that way sometimes.

Its touchy if you low ball someone and pizz them off they wont sell it to you at all. Its a game they say "make me an offer..." then get mad at your offer and dont want to talk to you.

-
Back