When is it too much power for the street?

-

Woods74

Broke Senior
Reaction score
After having posts deleted out of a topic for not being on topic, I figured I'd fire up a thread and ask the question:

Where is the line between having fun, and being irresponsible?

Thanks!

I dont know. Mt Hellcat has 714 HP. Irresponsible? OR just the right amount of power?

my duster has 420 HP and 470 FTpounds and no where NEAR enough rubber to put it down
so anytime I'm tempted to do anything stupid I just end up spinning my passengerside tire

Well if your having fun with power I'm willing to bet your breaking some laws... But as far as irresponsibility goes it's up to the driver (clearly) just stay safe. If I ever feel like pushing the line I make sure it's my neck on the line and not others. Easy example is anyone on a 600+ cc bike, but boy it sure is fun to hit 12-13k rpm at about 140 (best to save your criminal record and leave that for the track)

it is irresponsible to have an all work no play attitude. it is sunday, it is raining.
I will have to wait another week to test the new carb.
I have a 1/8 and 1/4 mile marked off in the boonies, no people or traffic. just me.

you know when you line up at a stop light and the light turns green and you stomp the go juice pedal and next thing you know the front end lifts off the ground and you're hanging onto the steering wheel for all you're worth and you're staring at blue sky... it's possible that you may have just crossed that line you speak of... :twisted:

I think it is related to the skill and experience of the driver, not the car so much. I've seen guys get in trouble in a 145hp Accord (5 over stock after the tri-bar wing was installed :) ), while the guy with the A855 Cuda (jcb426?) seemed to be able to control the power he has even though he has spin both tires at 70 mph (if I remember the story correctly). It's all about control.

In fact, a horrible suspension and/or brakes might have even more of an effect than horsepower. Even a moderate amount of HP could get someone in trouble if the car wont turn or stop.

It's probably questionable for a need of over 350-400 hp on a pure street only car. But like everyone said depends on how you drive it and your experience level and the car's brake and suspension ability.

I know my jeep not the fastest thing in the world but it gets up and goes pretty good and by time it shifts into 3rd gear at full throttle I got to let off cause I'm way over any posted speed limit up here. Couldn't imagine that motor in my cuda weighing over 1000 lbs less and having better intake and exhaust, should be a fun little ride :)

It's more like how much horsepower is too much for a stock suspension and brakes.

I think a 454 in a CJ7 might be crossing the line a wee bit.I agree that good suspension and brakes that are capable of handling the increased power level are a must. Also driver discretion plays a part.

Attachments

• 20160308_183917.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 474
63110746.jpg

Irresponsible compared to what? The asshole trucker suddenly switching lanes w/o sig-
naling when he catches another going 4mph slower?The guy w/a laptop on the pass. seat
going 45,then 70,then 45 on the highway? I HAVE been irresponsible, but at least I was
AWARE of that fact, and tried to do it in a mindful manner. Power? That is irrelevant. It
is the self control and competence of the operator, and their prudent use of the loud
pedal.

I can't guess where the irresponsible line is,but I know where the fun line is.I only have a hot 367, but she's a ton-O-fun. It's never been dyno'd cuz I don't care about that. I care that it does what I want it to, when I want it too, and doesn't get me into trouble when Ima doing it, and it has to scare passengers to the point they will probably never ask for another ride! She does that for me. Similar builds to mine are making 420 to 440 horsepower, so I guess that's the fun zone in a 3600# 108wb 68 FormulaS clone.

When you can break traction on level tarmac. Well, thats what its coming too.

A gun is not dangerous, the person holding it is. Same goes for cars, bikes, boats etc. Its all cool until something bad happens. Seems like its never the dumb *** that gets out of control that eats it, its typically some body in the wrong place that suffers the effect of public stupidity.

The show street outlaws pisses me off, it is the poster child of irresponsible dumb asses. I know its closed down roads for tv but its like a show of guys drinking and driving around town. Bad idea. If the show was filmed at a strip, I would have no beef.

We have a Back to the 50's car show weekend in Grants Pass each year and lots of blown cars, big slicks, cruise with couple hundred super nice cars, cops turn an eye to little burn outs, playing around but nobody does anything dumb and its been 20 years with out incident so it can be done if everybody remembers they are on the street around others.

I have had cops ask me to light em up before, small town:burnout:

It not the horsepower it's the one driving it that's important

Bing! And Geo gets the number 1 answer!
(Family Fued style!

you know when you line up at a stop light and the light turns green and you stomp the go juice pedal and next thing you know the front end lifts off the ground and you're hanging onto the steering wheel for all you're worth and you're staring at blue sky... it's possible that you may have just crossed that line you speak of... :twisted:

Possible, how ever unlikely, but of course, the above number 1 answer still applies.

The original problem was the Op wanted to chastise a man in the transmission (4 Speed) forum for being irresponsible and having to much horsepower for the street....Now he starts this thread to justify his idiocy...

I think round about 400-500 crank hp is ideal for a street car.

horsepower is like guns....... not the power or gun that does harm, simply how and when you choose to use it.

before acting, think of how it might affect a innocent people. I said innocent.

-
Back