When the hood goes pop... What makes the jaw drop?

-
Any mopar motor with a bit of chrome or polished aluminum looks better than the good ol stock look...USUALLY because you always find some that are done right and which are better than stock.

Any engine that looks like it actually gets used. If someone pops the hood and shows me a dirty looking small or big block with some bolt on mods and enough dirt, grease, oil and water stains to show that it actually gets driven then I'm impressed.

Yeah sure some giant hemi, or supercharger, tunnel ram, giant turbo or whatever is cool to look at once or twice. But all that perfectly polished, high dollar speed equipment tells me is that the car spends more time parked in a garage than it does on the road. Sure, it LOOKS fast. Heck it probably is fast. But it never GOES fast, so who cares? Just some rich guys life-sized car model at that point, sits on a shelf 99% of the time and occasionally gets dragged out to remind people how "cool" it's owner is for paying someone else to build it. Boring.
This is a hemi that was driven almost daily for 20+ years before I yanked it.

IMG267.jpg

Not being a huge fan of forced induction,I like seeing what guys do to intakes, preferably on a Hemi. Although lately the /6s are a REAL oddball Ford 4-cyl (440cu. ins!) are getting me going........

Any engine that looks like it actually gets used. If someone pops the hood and shows me a dirty looking small or big block with some bolt on mods and enough dirt, grease, oil and water stains to show that it actually gets driven then I'm impressed.

Yeah sure some giant hemi, or supercharger, tunnel ram, giant turbo or whatever is cool to look at once or twice. But all that perfectly polished, high dollar speed equipment tells me is that the car spends more time parked in a garage than it does on the road. Sure, it LOOKS fast. Heck it probably is fast. But it never GOES fast, so who cares? Just some rich guys life-sized car model at that point, sits on a shelf 99% of the time and occasionally gets dragged out to remind people how "cool" it's owner is for paying someone else to build it. Boring.

I guess my 72 Demon with a blown 340 that I put together bolt by bolt and keep as polished as I can, and drive as often as I can is boring. Who knew? Just kidding 72bluNblu, I know one size does not fit all.

Jack

for me? engine compartment with good paint. ALL the pics ABOVE of the slants with the eye candy added!!! yes! and DRIVEN!!!!!!!!

max wedge in a correct period B body is my favorite. just all stock.

its not one thing that does ti for me.. to me its the entire theme. a hemi? ok i guess it could be cool looking. has to be done right though.. a hemi swap is so over done they get boring any more so something has to be different to stand out.

a few years ago at carlisle there was a dart with a turbo slant 6 that i really liked.. it wasn't a hacked together set up like you usually see bit a real clean looking job that looked like it could have been factory.. so like i said its more about the entire presentation and not just what is under the hood for me..

This one does it for me. Hope to finish it up someday.
Congrats to you guys that got yours together, its a steep climb.

IMG_20160503_204059_653.jpg

On a somewhat related note, when my 66 dart is complete I'll be going to some car shows with it. Are early a bodies well regarded at car shows? Or is it more of a bunch of Chevy snobs? I feel like mopars in my area are rare to begin with
I have taken my 66 to a few non Mopar shows. I get as much attention as some of the over done Chevys and Fords!
Pic268.JPG

View attachment 1714938012

Can I ask ya,is that an IR manifold? Very nice! That ignition locked out? Very interesting!

Anything BUT a small block chevy in a street rod! Also, the hilborn stacks are great!

I scratched my head for a while, and this is what I got.
An injected and turbo'd slanty.
The turbos would be remotes.
I'm thinking a custom intake with side-draft 3 x 1 throttle bodies . A custom "air-cleaner". And a polished split Clifford header. The staged turbos would be where the mufflers usually are, and they would dump out opposite sides.The pressure tubes would be ducted up through the floor all the way up to the front,through the firewall, and into the back of the custom "air cleaner" plenum with a priority valve. The tubing would be insulated and covered with a custom full-length console.Minimum output 1 hp per pound race-weight.
The battery would be somewhere, anywhere,but under the hood.
No A/C. No heater hoses.Hidden electrics. Hidden fueling.Body-colored aprons. Automatic trans. 7-blade, all-steel, oem-type fan with a T-clutch.
That's all I got so far.....

My ultimate jaw dropper? This intake on a small block (5.9 magnum for me) with small, twin turbos...one feeding each plenum. Someday....

image.jpg

Intake manifold can be run both as a isolated runner or with the top plenum added. I chose to use the plenum.
The distributors are empty short of the rotor to distribute spark. It is a fixed advance using two magnetic crank trigger sensors on separate switches.
One in start position for easier lighting under high compression, and second pickup for run. Run position sensor is adjustable, it can be slid in a slot milled in the engine mounting bracket. This is an old direct connection set up that predates but is similar to what msd makes today. only reversed. MSD puts the magnet in the crank wheel where chryslers engineers put the iron triggers in the crank wheel.
Both distributors are meant to fire at the same time and the horizontal distributor head can be adjusted by turning and locked down with set screws. I am using Chryslers gold box and accel coils for nostalgia's sake but any brand or modern msd stuff can be used with these parts.
From the early to middle 70s Chrysler racing parts catalog.

I'm loving all the great ideas guys. This is exactly why I posted this thread. For the cuda I mentioned in the original post, it's going to get a 416 stroker/727/8.75 since I already have one with under 5k miles. After I'm tired of the 416 I've got a feeling a hemi will be in the works. After a good coat of paint on the 416 to "look" original, it'll be topped with a custom air cleaner top. It's a special piece built by my grandfather with some traditional gas sculpting.

image.jpeg

I'm always into different engines and different engines swaps. Putting an engine in car that was never meant to have it. Putting in an engine that's put together different.

That and a blower. Always a blower.

for me, I like the hot rod thing where a "common man" builds a fun to drive on the street, car out of used and inexpensive parts. everything clean and pretty much stock looking. yes a stock 383 hp runs like a striped a** ape with a decent gear. let the car be not perfect maybe, but one the owner did himself. and when you have a conversation with this guy, it is evident he loves his car and what he built.

-
Back