When you pay $1200 for an AAR hood, you expect more from Stinger Fiberglass

-
I would take it to a body shop and get a quote on repairing the damage.
Then back charge them that amount.
If they don't comply, then send it back and get your money refunded and buy from someone else......

I agree with all those that suggest you be compensated for either you doing the work or giving someone do it. Perhaps if you suggest that, they will gladly accept it.

Few years back, I bought my 3 cyl, 60 gal compressor from Northern Tools. The oil drain plug leaked and no amount of tape or caulk or anything else would keep it from drizzling oil down the side of the tank. Called them, explained the issue in a nice manner, they sent me a new plug. When that didn't work, the guy said if you don't mind changing out the pump unit, we'll just send you a whole new one! And just keep the old one in case you ever need any spares. I said sure, thank you! All new pump with pulley came about 2 days later. Took about 45 min to swap. Kept the removed pump cause you never know!
And of course with that service attitude, I buy from them without hesitation.

I agree with all those that suggest you be compensated for either you doing the work or giving someone do it. Perhaps if you suggest that, they will gladly accept it.

Few years back, I bought my 3 cyl, 60 gal compressor from Northern Tools. The oil drain plug leaked and no amount of tape or caulk or anything else would keep it from drizzling oil down the side of the tank. Called them, explained the issue in a nice manner, they sent me a new plug. When that didn't work, the guy said if you don't mind changing out the pump unit, we'll just send you a whole new one! And just keep the old one in case you ever need any spares. I said sure, thank you! All new pump with pulley came about 2 days later. Took about 45 min to swap. Kept the removed pump cause you never know!
And of course with that service attitude, I buy from them without hesitation.
And that is the definition of Great Customer Service. I wish we heard more outcomes like this.

I understand both sides of the argument here, but if you remove emotion and apply logic, returning it for a refund will most likely cost more than repairing, which would be negligible given the prep work required to paint the hood anyway. Then comes the question of who pays that freight bill? What if it’s further damaged in that journey? Who’s responsibility is that? The rabbit hole just goes deeper. Logic dictates that keeping and repairing is the least costly path forward for all parties involved. If anything comes of this, maybe the manufacturer comes up with better packaging and the trucking company hires more caring package handlers.

I understand both sides of the argument here, but if you remove emotion and apply logic, returning it for a refund will most likely cost more than repairing, which would be negligible given the prep work required to paint the hood anyway. Then comes the question of who pays that freight bill? What if it’s further damaged in that journey? Who’s responsibility is that? The rabbit hole just goes deeper. Logic dictates that keeping and repairing is the least costly path forward for all parties involved. If anything comes of this, maybe the manufacturer comes up with better packaging and the trucking company hires more caring package handlers.

I can appreciate a logical argument. If the customer does decide to go the route of repair, who in your mind should be responsible for the repair costs?

Bullshit all around. If I pay $900 for a $1200 part, I can expect to see some imperfections or missing pieces. Full price. Full product. There is no option to getting what you pay for. In this case, you DID NOT get what you paid for. The cost should not increase by 2 damn cents out of your pocket to make it right. Anybody who says fix it yourself is presuming you have a shop and time to do so at your leisure. For all I know you are a buy and bolt on owner. You did not receive a bolt on part.
Yes, I could repair that too, but I would not be happy about it. You will likely end up covering the repair as the world is full of dicks.

I can appreciate a logical argument. If the customer does decide to go the route of repair, who in your mind should be responsible for the repair costs?
In my mind, the manufacturer should offer to cover a reasonable repair cost. You’re talking a couple of hours of labor and under $20 worth of resin and mat. One would of thought that the manufacturer would have filed a claim against the shipper for $150 or so and then refunded $250 back to the purchaser and all might’ve been right with the world. That’s how I would’ve resolved the issue. My point is, **** happens. Pointing fingers, throwing tantrums, and thinking it’s always someone else’s fault will get you nowhere. We don’t live in a perfect world but somehow we always expect things to go perfectly.

Bullshit all around. If I pay $900 for a $1200 part, I can expect to see some imperfections or missing pieces. Full price. Full product. There is no option to getting what you pay for. In this case, you DID NOT get what you paid for. The cost should not increase by 2 damn cents out of your pocket to make it right. Anybody who says fix it yourself is presuming you have a shop and time to do so at your leisure. For all I know you are a buy and bolt on owner. You did not receive a bolt on part.
Yes, I could repair that too, but I would not be happy about it. You will likely end up covering the repair as the world is full of dicks.
He paid $800 ish, some tax and the rest was freight. That should have all been broken down to make things clearer. I’m not dismissing your point, but in reality it’s an easy fix for anyone doing the prep, paint and bodywork on the hood which has to be done regardless. If he can’t do it himself, he’ll be paying someone to it anyway and the fiberglass work is negligible at that point. I’m not defending the manufacturer or the trucking company as they both share responsibility, but if they won’t offer anything up in the interest of customer satisfaction, any path he chooses besides keeping and repairing it is only going to cost him time, money and frustration....

He paid $800 ish, some tax and the rest was freight. That should have all been broken down to make things clearer. I’m not dismissing your point, but in reality it’s an easy fix for anyone doing the prep, paint and bodywork on the hood which has to be done regardless. If he can’t do it himself, he’ll be paying someone to it anyway and the fiberglass work is negligible at that point. I’m not defending the manufacturer or the trucking company as they both share responsibility, but if they won’t offer anything up in the interest of customer satisfaction, any path he chooses besides keeping and repairing it is only going to cost him time, money and frustration....

You make certain points that I believe to be true.

But I also think that letting things go is why we are where we are in many aspects of customer service and the quality of products. I value my time and money. The OP shouldn't have to spend any more of either.

You make certain points that I believe to be true.

But I also think that letting things go is why we are where we are in many aspects of customer service and the quality of products. I value my time and money. The OP shouldn't have to spend any more of either.
I agree with that as well. In this case, he has to with any direction he chooses. It’s a matter of how much of either. Some people are willing to spend boat loads of both for a matter of principle. I pick those battles carefully. We’re where we are in customer service because morals, ethics, respect toward fellow humans and pride in work and craftsmanship are not taught nor valued in this country anymore. If they were, this guy would’ve got a great hood packaged in an impressive manner delivered by careful and courteous trucking companies....

Wow sorry your hood arrived that way. I also would expect better packaging & agree $1,200 is alot for a fiberglass hood.. . .I ordered a scoop that should be coming end of January, hope its packaged well. . .scoop with shipping qas almost $500 bucks which I think is pretty ridiculous

I agree with that as well. In this case, he has to with any direction he chooses. It’s a matter of how much of either. Some people are willing to spend boat loads of both for a matter of principle. I pick those battles carefully. We’re where we are in customer service because morals, ethics, respect toward fellow humans and pride in work and craftsmanship are not taught nor valued in this country anymore. If they were, this guy would’ve got a great hood packaged in an impressive manner delivered by careful and courteous trucking companies....
So next time you buy a new car or truck and you find a door ding in it you are going to be alright when the salesman tells you “ ah, is no big deal you can fix that yourself”? Is that the kind of condition or damage that is acceptable now days? Maybe yours but not mine.

So next time you buy a new car or truck and you find a door ding in it you are going to be alright when the salesman tells you “ ah, is no big deal you can fix that yourself”? Is that the kind of condition or damage that is acceptable now days? Maybe yours but not mine.
uhhh yeah, bullshit. They're gonna get me another one is what they're gonna do. LOL

I wonder if some of the suppliers/mfg's just assume because we're car guys that we can "fix" everything including their f-ups. If I wanted something broken I'll do it myself thank you, I can do that.

I wonder if some of the suppliers/mfg's just assume because we're car guys that we can "fix" everything including their f-ups. If I wanted something broken I'll do it myself thank you, I can do that.
Then maybe they should put pictures of damaged hoods in there catalog pictures with a disclaimer. " The hood you receive may have damage like the one in the picture"

Completely different scenarios. The hood is unpainted and requires more work to complete. In your situation, it’s a negotiation on a depreciating asset and you’re standing there in person.

I disagree. Money is money. Weather it is $1200.00 or $85,000.00 you should expect a certain level of quality and customer service. It’s all relative.

I am going to go out on a limb here. It's a new age. One powered (or not) by Millenials.

Common sense? Probably not.

Perhaps the manufacturer usually packs the corners very well and Jimmy The New Guy smoked his lunch and spaced it. It's not like we're drowning in old talent in America right now.

I bought my Hood from them at Carlisle(prepaid) It was damage from the trip up to the show. They just do not know how to protect there own product bottom line. The guy was not professional at all, I ended up getting some money off after BSing back and forth. I could have refused it and he could have shipped me another one for another 300.00. But I needed the hood, the car was ready for paint so I had to fix it.
If he said to me what he said to you and not getting a discount, I would be doing a Charge Back on my credit card. He Knows this happens and he just doesn’t care.

Last edited:
I bought my Hood from them at Carlisle(prepaid) It was damage from the trip up to the show. They just do not know how to protect there own product bottom line. The guy is a dick, I ended up getting some money off after BSing back and forth. I could have refused it and he could have shipped me another one for another 300.00. But I needed the hood, the car was ready for paint so I had to fix it.
If he said to me what he said to you and not getting a discount, I would be doing a Charge Back on my credit card. He Knows this happens and he just doesn’t care.
He may be a dick, but charge back without return of the hood is outright theft.

-
Back