When you pay $1200 for an AAR hood, you expect more from Stinger Fiberglass

-
bought a couple of doors for heidi's 69 mach. Pretty good pieces but on the top edge beltline area there was a crease that would have had to be filled. I dont think I could have gotten it to 'dolly' out. took a picture, called summit, bam! new door came and they didnt want the old one back. I think it was a Scott Drake. At $350 a pop. Pretty good service I'd say. Stand behind their product, didnt nickel and dime me. Wish I could say the same for 'dashpadsonly'......I waited 7-8 months for those guys and they only responded when I called my CC company to dispute charge.

Its gotta be tough being in the parts business, but that should not be made the consumers problem when you are shelling out time/money to keep them in business. YOU worked for the money you sent them, why should you put more time into it? I have heard people say before on here and I agree with them....If the product, weather its a $5 cup holder or a glass hood, doesnt fit, and manufacturer/distributer doesnt hear about it, it wont get fixed.

They should pay for shipping back to them. Run your car without a hood for a second and get a quality piece somewhere else....especially since the guy is acting like a child. If the guy agrees to a shop quote, then he still has the opportunity to save face. You will give him the space to rectify the situation and let us all know how he came through and how you, even though it was a pain, recommend his product. But he has dug a deep hole, so he has got to come up big.

I like the idea of changing the title so it pops up on a google search.

$0.02

In my mind, the manufacturer should offer to cover a reasonable repair cost. You’re talking a couple of hours of labor and under $20 worth of resin and mat. One would of thought that the manufacturer would have filed a claim against the shipper for $150 or so and then refunded $250 back to the purchaser and all might’ve been right with the world. That’s how I would’ve resolved the issue. My point is, **** happens. Pointing fingers, throwing tantrums, and thinking it’s always someone else’s fault will get you nowhere. We don’t live in a perfect world but somehow we always expect things to go perfectly.
Who's throwing tantrums? I feel like I've been pretty level headed throughout all of this. I can even share the email I sent if you'd like.

He paid $800 ish, some tax and the rest was freight. That should have all been broken down to make things clearer.
I clarified in one of my posts how much I paid for the hood. Whether it was $1200 total or $800 for the hood, $300 for shipping, and the rest in taxes, my bank account is still $1200 less than it was before buying the hood. How is that not a $1200 purchase?

And I'm a pretty realistic guy -- I realize things don't always go perfectly, but the poor packing job resulted in damage to a brand new, full price hood. I'm not okay with that. If it were a discounted hood with damage noted prior to the sale, different story.

5 pages of press here for AAR products! ALL BAD!!!

On the holiday spirit, Jesus Christ said to love our fellow man....but He did not say we had to like them!???

Last edited by a moderator:
Who's throwing tantrums? I feel like I've been pretty level headed throughout all of this. I can even share the email I sent if you'd like.

I clarified in one of my posts how much I paid for the hood. Whether it was $1200 total or $800 for the hood, $300 for shipping, and the rest in taxes, my bank account is still $1200 less than it was before buying the hood. How is that not a $1200 purchase?
Since you brought it up, who chose the $300 shipper?

Because if you did, that may be between you and him, but if the seller did then he needs to make you whole, and then he can take it up with the shipper

To me, you have one of three choices to make.

1) Accept the hood as is and fix it yourself and grumble about it forever.
2)Bug and banter with the Company until you get a partial refund to cover the cost of the repairs.
I think the $300 shipping bill would be fair.
3) Send it back for a full refund and never buy anything from them again.

I know what I would do and have done in the past.

It's truly up to you to make that decision for yourself.

Lastly, I personally would not buy anything from them because of this thread.....

I never accused anyone of throwing a tantrum. It’s a general statement as I deal with it frequently for my day job. You have been very level headed, however, society’s attitude today is generally very entitled and childish towards problem resolution.
Pointing out the individual costs just make things clearer (or should). Yes, your account is out $1200 but an entire fourth of that was shipping and that would factor into the return costs so could affect the decision making process in regards to the resolution path. I do find it very odd that the majority of the respondents throw all blame to the manufacturer and completely ignore the shipping companies. I see equal responsibility there.

I never accused anyone of throwing a tantrum. It’s a general statement as I deal with it frequently for my day job. You have been very level headed, however, society’s attitude today is generally very entitled and childish towards problem resolution.
Pointing out the individual costs just make things clearer (or should). Yes, your account is out $1200 but an entire fourth of that was shipping and that would factor into the return costs so could affect the decision making process in regards to the resolution path. I do find it very odd that the majority of the respondents throw all blame to the manufacturer and completely ignore the shipping companies. I see equal responsibility there.
You have not only dug the hole your in, your covering yourself up with the dirt. The retailer should pay for the insurance to get his manufactured item to the customer. I do it on anything over $100.00. Anything less than that I am the insurance, I cover it. I also refund the buyer while I do the insurance claim. That is the cost of doing business. I refunded a member here $550.00 on a third member that FedEx lost! I got my money back but it took 60 days.

You have not only dug the hole your in, your covering yourself up with the dirt. The retailer should pay for the insurance to get his manufactured item to the customer. I do it on anything over $100.00. Anything less than that I am the insurance, I cover it. I also refund the buyer while I do the insurance claim. That is the cost of doing business. I refunded a member here $550.00 on a third member that FedEx lost! I got my money back but it took 60 days.
I don’t see voicing an opinion as digging a hole, but everyone sees things differently. I’m not defending the manufacturer, I’m just pointing out what I see as the logical path forward. You’re welcome to disagree.

I do it on anything over $100.00. Anything less than that I am the insurance, I cover it. I also refund the buyer while I do the insurance claim. That is the cost of doing business.

This is how it should be done. Good job! I wish more people in business had that same ethic.

I purchased my AAR hood from AAR Fiberglass before they were tied up with Stinger Fiberglass. Luckily, I got mine without damage from Oak Harbor Freight. Curious if that is the same company that delivered @Righty Tighty 's hood?

That was back in 2011 but I had heard of shipping horror stories and was even told by AAR themselves to check the hood before accepting the hood. I was actually surprised that there wasn't any damage after hearing so many bad reports.

I think AAR/Stinger expects the product to get damaged in transit. As said earlier in this thread there are companies like Glasstek who have substantially better packaging. In my opinion, a hood can be packaged well enough that even the roughest handling by a freight carrier won't damage it (given that it isn't laid flat on the bottom of a stack).

That being said, if you buy a product from AAR/Stinger , or any other fiberglass company, just be prepared to reject the delivery and call your CC company. Hope that it is undamaged but expect it to be damaged.

In this case, I think RightyTighty should be refunded the total amount of a repair quote from a bodyshop. I think he stated before that shipping the hood back isn't desired by anyone ($$$ except a freight carrier $$$) so fixing what he's got is the quickest and cheapest solution for both parties. I think the freight company is the culprit with AAR/Stinger being the accessory due to inadequate packaging. AAR/Stinger continually chooses a shipper despite the reputation for damaged product arriving to customers. I have heard about AAR/Stinger's reputation for years (over a decade)! Their fiberglass is among the best, in my opinion. They are definitely the best source for an AAR 'cuda hood. It's just sad that they don't care enough to get that excellent product to the customer damage free.

Don't let 'em off the hook!

And I'm a pretty realistic guy -- I realize things don't always go perfectly, but the poor packing job resulted in damage to a brand new, full price hood. I'm not okay with that. If it were a discounted hood with damage noted prior to the sale, different story.
I get that and agree. All of my posts are based on your post #3. If I understood that post correctly, the owner flat refuses to work with you abd said fix it. I’m not saying you should be ok with that. All of my post are from the perspective of “where do we go from here”.

Since you brought it up, who chose the $300 shipper?

Because if you did, that may be between you and him, but if the seller did then he needs to make you whole, and then he can take it up with the shipper
Stinger chose the shipper, I had no part in that process. The first call I made was to the shipper, then they referred me to Stinger, then Stinger back to the shipper.

1) Accept the hood as is and fix it yourself and grumble about it forever.
If I fixed it myself, I would lose the right to grumble about it and the matter would be closed.

I think AAR/Stinger expects the product to get damaged in transit. As said earlier in this thread there are companies like Glasstek who have substantially better packaging. In my opinion, a hood can be packaged well enough that even the roughest handling by a freight carrier won't damage it (given that it isn't laid flat on the bottom of a stack).
You would think they expected their product to get damaged by the way they pack them, but why??? Why would a company so blatantly neglect to pack their product with that expectation and most likely anticipating customer complaints? That's so illogical.

I get that and agree. All of my posts are based on your post #3. If I understood that post correctly, the owner flat refuses to work with you abd said fix it. I’m not saying you should be ok with that. All of my post are from the perspective of “where do we go from here”.
Yeah I misunderstood you earlier. You're absolutely right, the way people resolve problems especially in business, is very oftentimes childish and emotional.

The owner didn't actually refuse to work with me, but he did make a pretty compelling argument towards me fixing it myself. I think there's still a chance for him to make it right, I just have to see how he responds to my email, and obviously with the holiday and it being the weekend, I don't expect an answer anytime soon.

Stinger chose the shipper, I had no part in that process. The first call I made was to the shipper, then they referred me to Stinger, then Stinger back to the shipper.

If I fixed it myself, I would lose the right to grumble about it and the matter would be closed.

You would think they expected their product to get damaged by the way they pack them, but why??? Why would a company so blatantly neglect to pack their product with that expectation and most likely anticipating customer complaints? That's so illogical.

Yeah I misunderstood you earlier. You're absolutely right, the way people resolve problems especially in business, is very oftentimes childish and emotional.

The owner didn't actually refuse to work with me, but he did make a pretty compelling argument towards me fixing it myself. I think there's still a chance for him to make it right, I just have to see how he responds to my email, and obviously with the holiday and it being the weekend, I don't expect an answer anytime soon.
I've heard you mention "his compelling argument"...
I'd be willing to bet that this is the same compelling argument everybody calls in with damage products gets...
At $500 I would be pissed and sending it back, but at $1,200.
Remind me this is a fiberglass Hood correct?...

He hasn’t refused yet! I hope he treats you fairly.

I've heard you mention "his compelling argument"...
I'd be willing to bet that this is the same compelling argument everybody calls in with damage products gets...
At $500 I would be pissed and sending it back, but at $1,200.
Remind me this is a fiberglass Hood correct?...
Yes, it's a fiberglass hood. I don't know if they all come like this, but it's basically raw with a gel coat and ready for sanding/paint. It was described like that on their website, so I had already anticipated performing a little correction during sanding. I guess that's why I'm not red-in-the-face pissed off.

And you made one payment, to the seller, correct?

That means the seller had a contract with you which included shipping

(The seller also had a contract with the shipper, but that is a separate issue)

The seller has a responsibility to you, period

Yes, it's a fiberglass hood. I don't know if they all come like this, but it's basically raw with a gel coat and ready for sanding/paint. It was described like that on their website, so I had already anticipated performing a little correction during sanding. I guess that's why I'm not red-in-the-face pissed off.
I’ve ordered fiberglass from VFN, Unlimited and Glasstek. The Glasstek is really nice fiberglass. The VFN is easily a close second. The Unlimited stuff was cheap, flimsy, race type fiberglass. Very crude in fit and finish. It has a “rubbery” feel to it compared to the others. Here’s a picture of the UP bumper on bottom and the VFN on top. The Glasstek items are a hood and trunklid for my Superbird.

F933FAB8-FB44-4DCB-B573-BBCE93BB3FEA.jpeg

This was my first fiberglass purchase, so I was unfamiliar with who was reputable and who wasn't. It's been a good learning experience so far, so at least there's that. The hood I got seems like a quality piece, it's just a shame it wasn't cared for more.

-
Back