Where are the Seatbelt Mounting Points in 68 BArracuda Fast Back

-
yes-post-thanks

Per the fender tag my 68 fastback was assembled Oct 17th, that has to be 1967 as the car was sold new June of 1968.
As stated earlier the car was original when I bought it in 2008.
It has front and rear lap belts but no shoulder belts.

I felt through the headliner as discussed in this thread, found the slight recessed shoulder belt mount and the bolt hole.
obviously I cannot tell if it is threaded.
The hole is in front of and a little bit higher than the driver side coat hook. About inline with the window channel.
I marked the spot on the mounting hole with a piece of paper towel - tape for the photo.
This car has a coat hook on the driver side, but none on the passenger side.
The passenger side shoulder belt hole is also present.

So now I guess I will be finding out about head liners, The one in this car is OE and in about perfect shape.
I'll do some searching here at FABO for info on headliner removal- replacement..

By the way this thread was very good info for me. I plan to do more highway driving in this 68 and I was wanting some kind
of shoulder belt protection, so this is great, thanks

shoulder harness.jpeg

My 67 did not have an anchor point for them. The template i made out of mylar plastic shows the spot in red where the coat hook hole is on my 67 notch. If i had to hazard a guess, back in 67 if that particular car was optioned with them, i bet they took a hole saw to it on the assembly line, and wire welded them in.
Best I can tell, '67 optional shoulder belts were attached at the rear seatbelt anchors. Same as seems to have been done for convertibles. That's what is in the shop manual illustrations. Also there's magaizne photo of a RHD '67 FB in a British magazine that seems to show that arrangement. Would love to see a surviver 67 RHD export model since front shoulder belts were probably standard on them.

Apologies for the OT sidetrack.
I think all '68 will have the upper anchor point, whether or not the nut is welded in place.
Also look for the storage clip which mounts by the sunvisor anchor.
And IIRC, at least in '69 there was a snap button which the loose end adjustment end of the shoulder belt attached to.

The storage clip bolts under the sunvisor. It uses the sunvisors 3 mounting holes. You can remove it , and put the visor back up. No additional holes. Sold the ones out of my kids car since we are both going with the wesco belts.

British requirements on shoulder belts made them a requirement to be retroactively fitted to all passenger cars going back to 1965. If i had to guess every new 67 going to GB had to have shoulder belts including convertibles. Attaching the shoulder belts at the rear seatbelt anchors doesnt seem to make any sense, i would have to see an illustration.

Here are pictures of the article in the current Mopar Muscle Magazine. If anyone needs better quality pics, PM me and I can send you better pics.
MM1.jpg
MM2.jpg
MM3.jpg
MM4.jpg
MM5.JPG
MM6.jpg
MM7.jpg

Best I can tell, '67 optional shoulder belts were attached at the rear seatbelt anchors. Same as seems to have been done for convertibles. That's what is in the shop manual illustrations. Also there's magaizne photo of a RHD '67 FB in a British magazine that seems to show that arrangement. Would love to see a surviver 67 RHD export model since front shoulder belts were probably standard on them.

Apologies for the OT sidetrack.
I think all '68 will have the upper anchor point, whether or not the nut is welded in place.
Also look for the storage clip which mounts by the sunvisor anchor.
And IIRC, at least in '69 there was a snap button which the loose end adjustment end of the shoulder belt attached to.

Great clue, if you have or had this at the visor then you probably had a shoulder belt. Also is the bolt at the hump the same for lap vs lap and shoulder vs bench with center seat? My 69 has 1 belt with 2 latches.

As far as for checking the shoulder bolt attachment bolt hole, use a pin through the head liner and feel for the threads in the hole.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
My 68 definitely does not have the pieces shown above at the sun visor hinge, or anywhere else. Was that how the shoulder belt was stored?

Yes the shoulder belt buckle clipped in there. Since they are easily removable, they could have been removed years ago. I am betting the positioning of the bolts at the center hump are the same no matter the belt configuration

If i had to guess, they were probably gearing up for that being the next thing. Rear seat shoulder restraints. I have an original 68 charger sales brochure i bought somewhere back in 1985. It states in optional items shoulder belts front were optional, and shoulder belts in the rear were optional. Then it also states in the brochure that some things may change after the time of printing. I have never seen an A or B body with optional rear seat shoulder belts. Not sure if that ended up being an otion or dropped because the DOT didnt make it mandatory. Could have also been there because of european and british ..

You have now..
15561051286333612518391364413907.jpg
15561051525518628738959222361253.jpg
15561051774864470436365387556377.jpg

These are actually out of a 69 Charger R/T SE I had.
But these are the actual mounting positions in the package tray of my 69 340 Swinger.

And as few of these that are out there i have never seen one until now is proof positive that safety didnt sell. Only way it sells is if its government mandated as standard equipment.

"they could have been removed years ago."

I cut a small hole in the headliner where the upper shoulder belt belt bolt would go, my early '68 has the bracket with the bolt hole, but no nut - threads.
so with out shoulder belts installed, the clip at the sun visor would also not be installed.

I do want to have shoulder belts, I'll follow the suggested fixes listed on this thread a get a resolution

Pretty much self explanatory, but here are the front storage clips mounted in my 68 Barracuda.

IMG_1364.JPG

-
Back