Where did you get your front disc conversion?

-

Badawg

Reaction score
Well, after a couple weeks of calling junkyards and getting "good luck ha ha" looking to convert to front disc brakes Ive been surfing for the best price and best products. I "think" Ive seen it all and am about ready to order but figured Id post here and see where others ended up getting their kits from just in case I missed a good deal. Thanks!

I went with the kit from Scarebird www.scarebird.com they use Chevy Celebrity calipers and rotors, and caddy hoses. You just have to redrill the rotors for the small bolt pattern. My mechanic is doing the install now...well, for the past 7 weeks or so. I'll let you know what I think of them if I ever see my car again.

The SSBC kits (Summit has them) look great but are expensive. They have kits for front and rear, manual or power.

I got mine at Magnumforce because I needed the spindles, balljoints, and upper arm. It came out to $1700 or so, and I got all this:

DSCN2554.jpg

I went to scare birds, i have about 250 in it with all new parts,

dart disc.jpg

all the parts I got from napa or advance auto, the brackets from scare bird were 105 pluss shipping..

10in drums.jpg

disc parts.jpg

14in rally.jpg

it took me about 3 to 4 hours to do the swap, I still have to get p-valve and its done.. the best thing i liked is, I can still use my 14In rally wheels.. and i didnt have to take my suspension apart

Thanks everyone I really appreciate it. I had pretty much narrowed it down to Scarebird, MP, and Wildood from Just Suspensions. Seeing as I am almost at the point from my Rotator Cuff surgery where I can start working on the car again I want to get the brake stuff here so I can do the front suspension and brakes all at once soon. Youve been a lot of help, thanks again!

Ron,

I went with SSBC's kit for my '71 Dart GT (was 10" drums around). Everything went on without any trouble. SSBC allows either the 5 on 4" or the 5 on 4.5" bolt patterns. I kept the small bolt pattern and my 14" Rallye wheels. My kit came from Mancini to my door for approximately $830. Very complete and comprehensive kit.

Dan

Summitt also sells Wilwood conversion kits. I installed their kit on my dart.

Got our parts from a '76 Duster to swap into my son's '74 Dart Sport. Bought the whole car for $150.
icon10.gif

Jerry

Hey Don, what rotors did you use? Id like to get the cross drilled rotors as well. I wouldnt have thought you could find those for a Celebrity.

4mulaSvaliant, I ended up going with scarebird also and got the cross drilled rotors from a shop that sells on ebay. They were pretty reasonable actually. Ill look up the sellers ID and PM it to you.

http://ecihotrodbrakes.com/dodge_plymouth_discbrake_conversions.html

I didn't have to change out my spindles or reuse the drum brake hubs. In my case using the drum brake hubs was not a good idea. The PO drilled out the drums for LBP and then WELDED the studs on back inside the drums. So if I had one stud go bad I would have a lot of work on my hands changing it out so I decided to do away with the problem altogether.

Cuda boot area 002.jpg

Cuda boot area 003.jpg

Cuda boot area 008.jpg

Cuda boot area 017.jpg

So as long as everything on mine is in good condition, this is a complete kit...nothing else needed?

Is that a complete bolt on kit, or do I still need to find UCA's? I'm staying with the SBP. Not a bad price if it's complete.

Yes, that was a complete kit. They want to have your spindle to custom match all parts. If you contact them directly at 727-347-9915 and tell them what you want they will work with you. If you call after 4 PM and ask for Scott, he works evenings, he will be more than helpful. He came out to my house when I had a problem with my rear brakes. He solved the problem, wrong size hat, took the parts and they made new ones and delivered to my home. I am about 45 miles from their shop. Great place to work with. their website is; www.aerospacecomponents.com The Moser axles were not a part of the rear brake kit.

Aerospace Components list the kits "Starting at $635." What is the price of a SBP A body kit? Around $650 seems decent considering I'd have to drive about 60 miles to the junkyards and search though them looking for a donor, then pay probably $200-300 for the parts (So-Cal) if I were to get it from the junk yard. I'll probably be calling this place when I get back home, but want an idea of actual price so I can start planning

Aerospace Components list the kits "Starting at $635." What is the price of a SBP A body kit? Around $650 seems decent considering I'd have to drive about 60 miles to the junkyards and search though them looking for a donor, then pay probably $200-300 for the parts (So-Cal) if I were to get it from the junk yard. I'll probably be calling this place when I get back home, but want an idea of actual price so I can start planning

I just hung up the phone with Scott at Aerospace. He told me that the bolt pattern will not effect the price. However, the $635 price is for drag brakes and that price is not for Mopar. Mopar is 750 for drag brakes. They do need to have the spindle to mock up the kit to your stuff. It is now 635PM here in Florida and Scott is still working evenings. Give him a shout when you have time and he will be glad to help you. I would rather you get your pricing direct from them. That way there is no question. :)

-
Back