Where did you get your front disc conversion?

-
I just hung up the phone with Scott at Aerospace. He told me that the bolt pattern will not effect the price. However, the $635 price is for drag brakes and that price is not for Mopar. Mopar is 750 for drag brakes. They do need to have the spindle to mock up the kit to your stuff. It is now 635PM here in Florida and Scott is still working evenings. Give him a shout when you have time and he will be glad to help you. I would rather you get your pricing direct from them. That way there is no question. :)

Are you saying you have to ship them one of the spindles off the car?

I got UCA and spindles from a 73 Swinger donor car,and just bought calipers and rotors and pads,flex lines at local parts store.Also grabed the propotioning valve from donor.

73 dart special 004.jpg

trim 028.jpg

trim 029.jpg

I used a MP kit . Easy conversion but man are those components Heavy.
The boxes weighed a Ton !

Dart 08 074.jpg

I bought a whole 74 valiant 4 door and drove it home for 150. Had the BB disks and drums and everything and it all worked fine.
I later drove it out to friends wrecking yard and we put it up on the forklift and stripped everything we wanted and left em the title. They later sold the engine for 275, everybody wins.
I got everything needed, lines and all, only thing we left was the master cylinder has a rebuilt should be easy to find.

mullinax95 Quote:
Originally Posted by jomoper
I used a MP kit . Easy conversion but man are those components Heavy.
The boxes weighed a Ton !

Nice!
Thanx Mullinax!

On the other hand rather than scouring the junkyards look on Your local Craigslist I see 73-76 darts and stuff all the time getting parted out .
Usually people seem to just want to get the car out of their yard boy if I had the room this place would look like sanford and son's place !:toothy10:
Here's an example probably could get it pretty cheap !
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1005955179.html

That exactly how I got that valiant, nobody would touch it because it was ugly and dirty and beat inside.
I just asked him if it had disk brakes, then did he think it would make a trip to my house and did the brakes and important stuff work...
He said it did, it started right up, the peddle was good, so I paid him and drove it home no problems and didn't dicker on his price either.

My first dart I bought a whole valiant sedan for $200 like you guys, and I kept the engine as a core for my wife's Dart. For my current Valiant I found a set of the spindles on CL for $100 but I had to drive pretty far to get them. I bought new UCAs and BJs on ebay ($250) and new calipers, hoses, pads and wheel bearings ($160 though I could have used the old stuff). Not including the suspension rebuild and alignment I was only into it for $500 or so, with the new LCA bushings, new pitman arm and labor to press bushings it was still under $600.

I think anyone could duplicate that. I've also seen links to the OEM (MP brakes) kit for pretty cheap.

Personally I would not go scarebird because the stock drum spindles on the 9" drum cars is scary weak, plus any car that old probably has one or more bad balljoints so you will be doing the work twice otherwise.

For the socal guys keep looking at the yards in Wilmington - I've seen three cars with LBP discs in the last six months. About $125 for all the parts (spindles, calipers, ucas) - less if you leave the calipers behind and just buy new ones.

I got lucky and found a complete small bolt pattern original Kelsey
hayes setup for the front. Unfortunately it now needs to be rebuilt so I'll probably send it off to SSBC for that. And order rear discs from them while I'm at it.$$$

Will Scarebird stuff work for the rear axle? If not, seems like their bracket could be drilled to fit the axle flange bolt pattern.

So I have been scouting the Scare Bird set up for a while. Well I am ready to buy so I contact them through one of the EBAY ads they have. I asked if they happened to know if Cragar SBP wheels will work with the kit.

NOPE!!!!:angry7:

This blows! Now Im gonna have to spend a crap ton more money!

Dunno if Ill even bother at this point.
Factory set ups seem to add up quicker than buying an expensive kit. Man this sucks!

I wonder if you ran a small spacer if it would work then?
Anyone have any info on this?

i just bought a pair of early viper calipers for my valiant. i already have the 75 k-frame and discs but i want to upgrade to the 11.75" rotors. A.R. engineering makes the mounting brackets and recomends the correct brake lines for the swap, then i'll go to auto parts for the cordoba rotors... should stop pretty well. i'm already running cobra 17" rims so i could even go to 13" rotors and clear the rims but they cost quite a bit. i haven't decided on rears yet.

Did you see the Tech article in Hemmings Muscle. It has info on what you can use to convert. Check it out. It's in Feb 09 issue. They use rotors and calipers from a 78-79 Cordoba. All you need to find are the caliper brackets and 73up abody spindles. The calipers and rotors can be found at most parts stores. Hemmings did their conversion on a 64 Dart.

DSC_0463_600.jpg

I used parts from a twin turbo Porsche for this kit.

I am going to do the Scarebird conversion on the front. The rear came out good so thats why I decided to use them again.

I just picked up a set of 1990 Chevy Celebrity calipers for $46 brand new complete with hardware shipped to my door.

I went to scare birds as well. I also have about 250-300 total in the front disc setup.

05-02-09_1420.jpg

DSC_0463_600.jpg

I used parts from a twin turbo Porsche for this kit.

pretty!!
are those 13" rotors? are the brackets from a kit? do tell..
is there any advantage to front mount calipers?
is that your valiant that autoxcuda posted?

-
Back