Where do the calipers go?

-

340 Dart

I don't know ****.
Reaction score
I took all the parts I need off a 74 Duster to convert my 66 Dart to disc brakes, but I can't remember what side the calipers go on!

My factory service manual shows a pic with the calipers towards the front of the car but wouldn't this interfere with a sway bar if I eventually add one?

I have seen pics that look they have been installed both ways! Does it really matter? I am kind of stuck.

Thanks for your help.

It doesn't really matter if they go to the front or the rear as long as you can get a flex hose that will work correctly, and the bleeder valve must be on top. But if you have, or plan on getting a front sway bar, then put your calipers to the rear.

Hi Jim,I always use a yellow marker to mark parts with(for left or right)anyway here,s a pic of the disc brakes on my 66 Dart.Caliper on the front with no swaybar.

trim 029.jpg

It doesn't really matter if they go to the front or the rear as long as you can get a flex hose that will work correctly, and the bleeder valve must be on top. But if you have, or plan on getting a front sway bar, then put your calipers to the rear.

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for!:cheers:

Hi Jim,I always use a yellow marker to mark parts with(for left or right)anyway here,s a pic of the disc brakes on my 66 Dart.Caliper on the front with no swaybar.

I scratched a "L" and a "R" on them in the grime when I took them off, but somebody else didn't know that and cleaned them up. Lol.

Given the choice between asking and cleaning, I will take asking. 8)
Those look good Scott!

Thanks dudes.

If they came off of a '74 vehicle then they are designed to go in front. But, if you put them in front on your car you'll have interference issues with the anti-sway bar. If you put them to the rear you'll clear the anti-sway bar but you'll have a problem finding a brake hose that fits properly.

There are solutions to all of these problems, just have to pick the problem you want to solve and go solve it.

I mounted mine to the rear for swaybar clearance. they can go either way. doesn't matter. I used aftermarket steel braided flexible brake hoses and haven't had a problem. Both my darts are setup this way.

I mounted mine to the rear for swaybar clearance. they can go either way. doesn't matter. I used aftermarket steel braided flexible brake hoses and haven't had a problem. Both my darts are setup this way.
Thanks! Where did you get them and how long are they?

I will put them on the rear so I can use a swaybar in the future.
Does anyone know the length of brake line I will need or know what vehicle has one long enough that will work?

The 74 fluid lines will work. Those have a short metal tube at the caliper end. You can slowly and carefully bend that tube to get the samll amount of slack you'll need to prevent stretching the hose.

F-body brake hoses will be a direct bolt on for a '66 with rear mounted calipers. Just remove the little bracket thing on the hose.

Just remeber that no matter which way its put together or what parts you use, the fluid line always enters the caliper at the lower point placing the bleeder at the highest point.

I have never ran into the Sway Bar issue before. Will someone please tell me what hits what with Calipers in front please? Now keep in mind I have always made my own Sway Bar Mounts since I never could find factory LCA with the mounts when I needed them! You can barely see my Sway Bar Mount set up on my thread of my newest swap: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=90216
I guess I will soon find out.... again.

Later,
Bruce B.

If you have the later model K and the swaybar passes through it there isn't a problem. The earlier swaybar attaches closer to the lower ball joint and has differnt space and longer end links. The 73 up floating caliper will hit that swaybar and limit turning radius if the caliper is placed in the common forward loacation.

-
Back