Where does the oil go?

-

Frank8256

Frank8256
Reaction score
Sorry, I am not very knowledgeable of any motor, let alone a slant six. I just got my 1964 Signet Valiant convertible today. It is low on oil. Do you put oil in the large opening in the front top of the motor. Unfortunately the car does not have an owner manual. Thanks for helping me.

there is a twist cap on top of the valve cover. Untwist that and pour oil in there (If your not sure look into that hole and see if you can see the valve springs).

Wow a virgin (lol) welcome you couldn't have come to a better site for help and information.
Hope you enjoy your car.

Moe

Wow a virgin (lol) welcome you couldn't have come to a better site for help and information.
Hope you enjoy your car.

Moe
Hey we're all virgins at some point, but I popped that CHERRY FIRST :twisted:

(joking around, feel free to ask any other questions :cheers:)

Welcome! If you have the original valve cover, it will have a pull off cap on the front "stovepipe". .It's where you pour the oil in. It will also have a shorter stovepipe in the rear; it's for the PCV. BTW, both have a baffle below and you will not see any of the rockers. The later (70 and up) are that style.

Nice ,let's see bigger pics

67d6a8b2.jpg

Hope you enjoy your car.

Moe

lol

Welcome! If you have the original valve cover, it will have a pull off cap on the front "stovepipe". .It's where you pour the oil in. It will also have a shorter stovepipe in the rear; it's for the PCV. BTW, both have a baffle below and you will not see any of the rockers. The later (70 and up) are that style.

yep the pull off breather

Hey we're all virgins at some point, but I popped that CHERRY FIRST :twisted:

(joking around, feel free to ask any other questions :cheers:)
Judging by the number of his posts, He's not a TRUE virgin! But since he doesn't know where to "put" it, maybe he only made it to 3rd base all this time! That's ok with us, we'll still try to be gentile......

Funny related story, had a dumbass friend (not saying your a dumbass, but he was) decided to change his oil on his own. Rather than ask for help, he poured 5 quarts down the carb after draining the old stuff. That motor needed a rebuild.

Hey when I saw the title of the thread I thought you were an oceanographic scientist...
Welcome
Andrew

Funny related story, had a dumbass friend (not saying your a dumbass, but he was) decided to change his oil on his own. Rather than ask for help, he poured 5 quarts down the carb after draining the old stuff. That motor needed a rebuild.

What made your friend decide that was a good place to pour the oil, besides being a dumbass?

guess right now Frank might be saying to himself " WHY THE HELL DID I ASK " LOL
there is a lot of horse play and kidding around here, but I still say there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here to share.

Moe

I think he was ....... I did that to my gf she said i was not going to get her with that one lol

make sure to check your brake light fluid and the condition of your muffler bearings. just kidding lol ,(you should have known that was coming)

when i saw the post title i honestly thought you were pouring the oil in and had gone through ten quarts and it still wasnt showing on the dipstick or you were dumping it out of the tailpipe lol

I had a buddy in high school with a vw squareback he would put oil in when the light came on on the dash leave it running and pour oil in till the light went out. I should him where the dipstick was. He was a funny guy.

-
Back