Where is it going!

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my best friend and he had a question for me that I just couldn't answer.

He bought a 02 Dodge Ram with a 4.7 motor and it keeps running hot on him. He said that he has to add a little bit over a quart of antifreeze to the reservoir bottle every week. Then when he adds it a " bubble " gets in the system then the truck runs hot. He has checked the oil, no smell of antifreeze is present, and nothing out the exhaust so WHERE IS IT GOING?

I know that it's not a A-body question but I know ya'll let one slip by!:-D
thanks everyone!

had same prob with my 03. only when pulling, found out bad fan clutch, how hot is it getting??? and tell him to check the over flow, i thought my water pump was bad, but the way the over flow hose is routed it drains in to the shroud. and will leave a drip or drips making you think its a w/pump. at least thats what i went through.

had same prob with my 03. only when pulling, found out bad fan clutch, how hot is it getting??? and tell him to check the over flow, i thought my water pump was bad, but the way the over flow hose is routed it drains in to the shroud. and will leave a drip or drips making you think its a w/pump. at least thats what i went through.

Must be getting pretty hot because he said he has to let it cool down before he can keep driving it. He has been checking the over flow bottle and has to keep adding antifreze.

Also his oil level is normal right?

I talked to him and told him what y'all have said.

Yes the oil level is fine. No water in the oil or oil in the water.

The system is building pressure like it should. He can squeeze the hose and it is hard. He just has to keep adding antifreeze and the temp gauge goes past half way and goes toward Hot.

This prolly don't count, fiancee' has a PT Cruiser that was going through antifreeze off and on. Turned out to be a defective rad cap seal. Rog

I'd pressure test the system to see if it's holding pressure after it's shut off, the hoses may get hard while it's running but there can still be an internal leak. If it's not leaking on the ground then there must be an internal leak, maybe a cracked head?

To use a pressure tester is about the only way to find it. So many times the leak is at the very top of the radiater and slooooow, or at a place where the engine heat evaporates the water before it can be seen dripping.

To use a pressure tester is about the only way to find it. So many times the leak is at the very top of the radiater and slooooow, or at a place where the engine heat evaporates the water before it can be seen dripping.

yeah, What he said, had a POS ranger that did the same thing. small leak at the top of the rad and would evaporate the coolant as it ran down the front of the radiator before it was able to drip... turned the temp gauge into an "add coolant" gauge. :lol:

Ok I will tell him about the pressure test and might have a sloooow leak. I didn't even think about that.

Thanks everyone!

-
Back