where is this leak coming from?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score

I replaced the valve cover gaskets, and shortly after that I noticed the leak
is there anything else that could likely cause this?

and if it is the valve cover gaskets, what do you suggest to replace them with to prevent this from happening again ?

I want to know the same thing! I have exactly the same problem, and having to continually clean the engine is a drag!

might be around the bolts. Teflon tape those bolts maybe.

the intake bolts, correct?

that motor was build by MRL about a year ago
I haven't had the intake off, and I "presume" he put some tape on there, but it is worth investigating

THIS.

I had the bolts on my intake do the exact same thing, and I solvent washed the bolts first and sealed the threads and everything.
It didn't stop until I pulled them one at a time and sealed around the heads/washers also.

I used RTV around the bolt shaft right where it meets the washers, put them in and cleaned off any sealant that squeezed out around them with a small stainless steel wire brush. (like a toothbrush size)

Yea, it was a pain in the *** but it stopped that from happening again.

I used an old carpet cleaner the wife wanted to throw out and adapted a 3/8 hose to the suction hose and used that to vacuum out those valleys in the intake while I scrubbed with an old toothbrush and hot soapy water. (while the engine was warmed up)

I had the same issue and had the reusable valve cover gaskets with the steel core. Did you use gasket sealer on the gaskets? I didn't and when I did the leak is now gone.

the intake bolts, correct?

Yes. Sometimes oil can wick up the threads and pool on the intake

that motor was build by MRL about a year ago
I haven't had the intake off, and I "presume" he put some tape on there, but it is worth investigating

If it were me, I would pull the valve covers, then I would pull an intake bolt, one at a time, and use a NON hardening thread sealant and re-install and torque to spec. Telfon tape would probably work, but in my mind it would be possible for little shreds to fall into the oil path and get pushed through the system.

Then just for giggles, I would "fit" the valve covers. To do this, place them on the head WITHOUT a gasket and make sure they are sitting firmly on the head rail. IF they are not, mark the spot where it possibly is hitting the intake runner, use a Dremel if you have one and remove just a little material at a time until the covers sit firmly on the head, install the gaskets and bolts and torque to spec.

I had the same issue and had the reusable gaskets with the steel core. Did you use gasket sealer on the gaskets? I didn't and when I did the leak is now gone.

I decided this had to be the case as well, since I sealed around all the ports but not the bolt holes. (just the bolt threads)
If the threads are sealed it HAS to come up around the bolts and not up through the threads.
And the only place it can do that is by getting past the gasket.

Yellow teflon tape, used for gas lines. Resists oil and gas.

thanks for all the input guys

I had the same issue and had the reusable valve cover gaskets with the steel core. Did you use gasket sealer on the gaskets? I didn't and when I did the leak is now gone.

I used regular rubber valve cover gaskets that came with the felpro (I believe) rebuild kit

when I did it the first time I did not use any sealer/rtv or anything
I had to trim back the locator tabs on the gaskets a bit to clear the aluminum covers and I'm wondering if the gasket just did not stay put

so I pulled them off, RTVed them I'm place and tried again

it if still leaks tomorrow I will pull the intake bolts and install the thread sealer
I should have some left from when I did the water pump and timing belt housing

I'm betting your valve covers are hitting the intake and need to be notched at the runners. I forgot I also had to do that with the bench grinder...see nile moment. I notched about 1/8 inch. I highly doubt it's the intake gasket.

I'm betting your valve covers are hitting the intake and need to be notched at the runners. I forgot I also had to do that with the bench grinder...see nile moment. I notched about 1/8 inch. I highly doubt it's the intake gasket.

the covers were notched before
but there is a possibility these gaskets are thinner

Back in the good old days, they used to supply red plastic seals to put on those bolts I the good gasket kits. Sealing around the bolt head sounds best.

I would go with notch the valve covers for the port clearance, and then make sure that the center intake bolts are sealed...

Back in the good old days, they used to supply red plastic seals to put on those bolts I the good gasket kits. Sealing around the bolt head sounds best.

Yep, because that sure isn't a valve cover gasket leak I guarantee it.

Yep, because that sure isn't a valve cover gasket leak I guarantee it.

ill let al of you know later today
I'm planning on picking the boy up from school in about 2 hours...that will tell us

THIS.

I had the bolts on my intake do the exact same thing, and I solvent washed the bolts first and sealed the threads and everything.
It didn't stop until I pulled them one at a time and sealed around the heads/washers also.

I used RTV around the bolt shaft right where it meets the washers, put them in and cleaned off any sealant that squeezed out around them with a small stainless steel wire brush. (like a toothbrush size)

Yea, it was a pain in the *** but it stopped that from happening again.

I used an old carpet cleaner the wife wanted to throw out and adapted a 3/8 hose to the suction hose and used that to vacuum out those valleys in the intake while I scrubbed with an old toothbrush and hot soapy water. (while the engine was warmed up)
what he said, i work for me.

took the car for about a 10 mile trip and all seems well
ill keep an eye on her though

Use the red RTV heat silicone one at a time. If the person who built the engine would have done that you wouldn't be where you are now.

-
Back