Where to buy a new Fuel Sending unit.

-

694spd

Reaction score
I need a fuel sending unit for my 69 Dart. Any recommendations where or what to buy.
Thanks.....

I just replaced the one on my 72 Demon. The fuel gauge wasn't working, so I assumed the sensor was bad. Went to pull the gas tank and damned if the sensor wire wasn't plugged in! Fortunately, it wasn't the end of the world since I was pulling the gas tank anyway and was able to return the new one after testing the old against the new. There were two types of units- one with a return line from the carb and one without. I was really pleased with the condition of the old one when I pulled it. The sensor readings were right on the money with the new unit....and it was a daily driver, 2+ hrs per day to my office, at the time.

Anyway, I got mine from Advance Auto. It'll be something like this (I selected a random engine, but it's for a 69 Dart): http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...fg69a/20370104-P?searchTerm=fuel+sending+unit

If you order online and use this promo code (TRT37) it'll get you $30 off a $75 purchase....... if you need more than just the +-$85 sending unit, this code (TRT41) gets you $40 off a $100 purchase. If you select the pick it up from a store option (it lets you choose the store you want), there's no charge for shipping and it's ready in 30min- no waiting for a box to arrive. Pay online, walk in, sign a receipt, and walk out.

Hope this helps,

Ed

Repro's suck.

They don't go to the bottom of the tank and the proportioning of the readings are off from original. So it will run out of gas with gas left. And it will show full and then rapidly go to empty.

Read half way down page: http://www.heritech.org/cuda/fueldelv.html

fuelpups.jpg

Repro's suck.

They don't go to the bottom of the tank and the proportioning of the readings are off from original. So it will run out of gas with gas left. And it will show full and then rapidly go to empty.

Really good article, I'm sold lol. Repros do suck. But if you're in a tight spot it's a $40 part (with the discount lol) that'll get you back on the road until you find one that doesn't suck. My tank is currently on a shop shelf while the body is off getting painted, so I have a few weeks to find a stock unit. Besides ebay and swap meets, can you suggest where to find one? Not gonna lie, pulling the tank is a pain in the ***. If it weren't already out I'd be just fine with the repro :)

Here is a picture of the original sending unit that I removed after I lowered the tank yesterday. The car I'm working was bought last fall from a friend's estate. It has been parked and in storage for the last 40 years. A real time capsule. I drained out about 4 gallons of the most ill smelling gas you could ever image from the tank. Inside of the tank is loaded with soupy rust.

Attachments

• 100_3081.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 346
  • 100_3084.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 365
694spd, Save the lock ring from your old sender. The new reproduction rings don't seal properly....

694spd, Save the lock ring from your old sender. The new reproduction rings don't seal properly....

I almost think this message should be a sticky in this forum. I mistakenly tossed mine when I did my sender. I ordered at least 5 different rings from 5 different companies. The only one that worked was an oem from a junkyard.

Even my brand new spectra tank that came w/ a spectra ring did not seal. :violent1:

When I poured the remaining gas into a funnel this is what came out with the gas...

Attachments

• 100_3085.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 330
Repro's suck.

Read half way down page: http://www.heritech.org/cuda/fueldelv.html

fuelpups.jpg

I don't know how they can call it a "repro" when it's clearly a different design intended for a different model of car -- the pivot point is different, the arc of travel is different, the top and bottom stops are different, and who knows how the coil is wound... Might as well pull one from a random Chevy or Toyota... building your own would be easier than making one of those accurate and reliable. OK, stepping off the soapbox now...

Many years ago, I wrote Year One and suggested that they start selling A Body Fuel Sending Units with the 3/8" pickup (instead of the measely 5/16).
6 months later, they had them for sale. They also offer the 1/2" for all out race. :burnout:
You should never put a 5/16 pickup in your Mopar, even stock. You really need the 3/8, it will improve your performance substantially. But you must continue the 3/8 ALL THE WAY to the Carb. Yes, they offer 3/8 line to fit your A Body, too.

You guys are absolutely Correct about repro Fuel Sending Units...outside of Year One --- DONT BUY THEM!!! THE ARE ABSOLUTE CRAP. :twisted:
I bought one off Ebay for the 3/8 and it has been a Nightmare.
Had to do the Job ALL OVER AGAIN after purchasing the Year One 3/8 version.

Many years ago, I wrote Year One and suggested that they start selling A Body Fuel Sending Units with the 3/8" pickup (instead of the measely 5/16).
6 months later, they had them for sale. They also offer the 1/2" for all out race. :burnout:
You should never put a 5/16 pickup in your Mopar, even stock. You really need the 3/8, it will improve your performance substantially. But you must continue the 3/8 ALL THE WAY to the Carb. Yes, they offer 3/8 line to fit your A Body, too.

You guys are absolutely Correct about repro Fuel Sending Units...outside of Year One --- DONT BUY THEM!!! THE ARE ABSOLUTE CRAP. :twisted:

They appear to be the same thing. Year one's sender:
bf659.png

$45 on ebay for stainless one w/ 3/8" outlet & 1/4" return. Bench test it first. I had to pop open the can and bend the wiper arm so it touched tighter. I had the dash out and tested both together on the table and added some resistors on the cluster to tweak the signal to give a perfect reading at each stop. My 65 Newport w/ 383 came w/ a 5/16"D fuel supply. Fuel just pours out the front of the tube, so I can't imagine it restricting the engine. But, 3/8" is better. Corvettes w/ LS engines use that.

$45 on ebay for stainless one w/ 3/8" outlet & 1/4" return. Bench test it first. I had to pop open the can and bend the wiper arm so it touched tighter. I had the dash out and tested both together on the table and added some resistors on the cluster to tweak the signal to give a perfect reading at each stop. My 65 Newport w/ 383 came w/ a 5/16"D fuel supply. Fuel just pours out the front of the tube, so I can't imagine it restricting the engine. But, 3/8" is better. Corvettes w/ LS engines use that.

Do you have a thread on how you modified the wiper arm? I wanna try this before I spring for a new and pricey fuel system.

Do you have a thread on how you modified the wiper arm? I wanna try this before I spring for a new and pricey fuel system.
I wrote a post on the whole cluster work & resistors to tweak the fuel level reading (search). Re sender tweaks, it is simple & obvious. Bend the tabs back on the cover to expose the resistor & wiper arm. Bend the wiper arm outward so it contacts tighter. The arm is stainless so should hold that tension for a long time. Of course use a multimeter to measure the output resistance signal as you sweep the arm (free w/ coupon at HF).

The main problem I have with the new senders is that they read linear, the original senders where non linear. If you look at the fuel tank, you will see because of the spare tire inset in the tank , when the fuel level is halfway down the tank, you have actually more than half of the fuel left. Have not been able to find a non linear sender. Some one here could make a mint supplying just the non linear wiper assy.

The main problem I have with the new senders is that they read linear, the original senders where non linear. If you look at the fuel tank, you will see because of the spare tire inset in the tank , when the fuel level is halfway down the tank, you have actually more than half of the fuel left. Have not been able to find a non linear sender. Some one here could make a mint supplying just the non linear wiper assy.

Ill bet the Chevy guys have no problem finding the correct parts for there "CARS". MT:wack:

the year one senders are hit or miss also no better than the ebay ones and they look exactly the same .

-
Back