Where to buy in dash voltage limiter

-

mellow_utah

Reaction score
Hello all, let me start with I am no electrical expert but I have been reading here to try and troubleshoot my issue. I have a 1973 Scamp with a V8 swap. Initially, all my gauges worked except my fuel gauge and oil dummy light. I had to replace the tank (car had been sitting a long time and my fuel lines kept plugging up) so I ordered a new sending unit while I was replacing the tank. The old sending unit was rusted in place and the float was gone (nowhere in the tank) anyway. I installed the tank and sender (hooked up the ground wire) and the gauge still did not work. I read on the forum that it could be the in dash voltage limiter so I took the cluster out, took everything apart, cleaned it, repainted what needed it and installed a new limiter. The old limiter was very hard to get out and the new one barely stayed in. I proceeded to bend the prongs outward a little bit to add some tension. The new limiter also had a tab off of it for possibly a ground wire but my old one did not so I did nothing with this. I replaced all the light bulbs while I was at it and reinstalled the cluster. The oil dummy light now works, however, the lights, fuel and now the temperature gauge do not work, ugh. It should be noted that before I did this the ammeter would read really high and so I replaced the underhood VR and that issue appeared to be fixed so I do not think that this was the issue (unless it fried my fuel gauge) because everything else worked before and after I replaced it. I am not sure if the in dash limiter I bought is junk (even though it was $60) or if there is something else I should be checking. If it is the limiter, is there somewhere to get a better one (i got the other one at Oreillys)? I was hoping to save money by trouble shooting the factory stuff rather than going aftermarket but now im wondering if it would have been worth it. Thanks for the input!

I bought an electronic voltage limiter. They actually put it in the original case but I can't remember who I got it from? The strap that comes off of it is for noise suppression in the radio. There are a ton of threads on here how to make your own with a few parts from radio shack.
Good luck,

The only items in a instrument panel that do not require a chassis ground are oil warning lamp and brake lamp. In other words the rest of it aint going to work while the panel dangles from its harness connectors unless you attach a ground wire.

Real time engineering makes a good limiter that looks like the original
but has solid state components inside.

You don't have to have the old one. They sell the updated ones that look like the original
they are kinda pricey but they work great

Rte looks nice and only $50, wish I had known before I bought the $60 crap from oreillys lol. Think its worth redoing the factory setup? I have read about all kinds of issues and the gauges aren cheap. For the price of the limiter and any bad gauges, a bit more and I could go all autometer or something?

-
Back