Where to find a heater control valve

-

easyrider

65 droptop
Reaction score
My 65 dart has the push button control for factory A/C which has two vacuum lines to the heater control valve. I'm guessing that is to be able to control the flow of water in order to adjust the A/C temperature. The valve has a double diaphragm so it can pull from either side. I have seen these but can't locate one now that I need one. Anyone know where I can find this item?
Tom

If all you need is the double action vacuum pot, you can use one from any 66-72 underdash A/C box. The pot and mount are identical, but the arm will need to be shortened and bent 90 degrees to work with the heater valve. I've fixed a few this way.

I saw a new one on a Barracuda at the Mopar show in Shreveport, La, but the owner couldn't remember where he bought it.
Tom

I "might" have a couple of used ones but unknown if they're a working unit. I'll look and see what I have tomorrow. I do have a brand new one that is going on my wagon - bought it a loooong time ago.

I understand the water valve is not proportioned, but rather open for heat and closed in AC mode. In heat mode, your heater slide knob opens a door that lets in cooler outside air. Not sure how they controlled cooling in 1965 (climate door, AC cycling, ... several methods).

My 1964 & 65 are not factory AC, so no under-hood "hot water valve". I hope to add one just to insure no flow thru the heater core in the summer, though not essential since I will use a separate "knee knocker" AC box w/ its own blower. I bought a few plastic heater valves for newer Fords ($7 ebay). You could do similar if not concerned w/ "factory correct". They have a single vacuum line w/ spring return. I need to use a vacuum solenoid for control, actuated by a 12 V signal that is on when the AC box is active.

The valve is leaking so hot water is flowing all the time. The vacuum diagram works fine. Does anyone repair the valve?

My 65 dart has the push button control for factory A/C which has two vacuum lines to the heater control valve. I'm guessing that is to be able to control the flow of water in order to adjust the A/C temperature. The valve has a double diaphragm so it can pull from either side. I have seen these but can't locate one now that I need one. Anyone know where I can find this item?
Tom

I am looking for one also for my 66 Barracuda with factory air. Hope someone has a place to get one.

I "might" have a couple of used ones but unknown if they're a working unit. I'll look and see what I have tomorrow.

I do have a pair of used vacuum control units that have the vacuum pad and water control valves. I did test the vacuum that I either opens or closes the water valve and that does work. I think the other side of the vacuum unit has to function in conjunction with some other operation as it wouldn't do anything. Looks like both water valves do let a very small amount of water through - but not knowing the system - may be the way it operates. To verify, I'd have to get my NOS valve out of storage and check to see if it does the same thing..

I am looking for a quality used one for my 66 Dart GT which has the factory air. PM me please if you are selling. Thanks

I just purchased a new valve for my 66 Barracuda with air. Try www.heatervalves.net He is in Superior Wi and he found a new valve for me . I have a new valve for 1/2 in heater hose that is just like the correct valve for a Barracuda or Dart that I would sell.

That valve was reproduced a couple years ago. I forget where I saw it. Try Vintage Air
Or If all correct isn't a issue, a generic valve, spring loaded one direction and single vacuum line, will serve the same purpose. You'll simply cap one vacuum line.

How exacting are you being with this repair? If you require a valve that looks exactly like the factory original, you're going to be in for spending bigger money than if the goal is to get the system working again quickly and efficiently.

Your type of factory air system was used from '65-'72. The heater water valve through '70 (including your '65) has two vacuum hoses going to it: one to open the valve and one to close it. The water valve for '71 and '72 (and carried over into the new-type HVAC system for '73-up) had one vacuum hose; it was spring-loaded rather than having the "other side" vacuum hose. he pre-'71 type (and its vacuum pots, which are separate parts) have been unavailable for years, or very expensive when you can find them; a later-type (single vacuum hose) valve (this one) can easily be installed to get the system working just fine without spending a pile of money. This is a "vacuum closes" valve, so you hook up the hose that used to close your two-pot valve (the hose that has vacuum when the "MAX A/C" button is pushed). Cap the hose that used to open the 2-pot valve (has vacuum in positions other than "MAX A/C") and you're all done—system will work normally for a long time with this $10 repair.

This is the valve that looks like the one for a Dart and Barracuda only it is for 1/2 in hose. The vacuum actuator bolts on and can be switched to a new valve.

20170126_142441_resized valve.jpg

I am also looking for a replacement vacuum actuator as the vacuum canister is faulty on my customers 67 Cuda.
Oops, a 2016 thread. You should start a wanted thread. Someone has one saved back.

This older type valve has 2 vacuum lines. Supply to one line opens it, supply to other closes it. The more common type valves have one vacuum line and a internal return spring. That type valve can replace this one. You'll plug the one line that you dont need.

Last edited:
Tom

EBAY

There is nothing more than a flat coin like baffle in the pipe. It restricts water flow but cannot stop it completely. If they were a true valve like a ball gate valve, I think there would be some mention of burping/filling the heater core in a service manual.
If yours is passing a lot of water when turned 90 degrees to the pipe, maybe the baffle is rusted away?

-
Back