Which balancer?

-
The Trick Flow is thicker but is recessed where the pulley goes, no belt alignment problems.

Jeff
I have been running sfi approved f.d. from 440 source for about 8ish yrs, the stroker kit was race balanced at hughs engines, you can teven feel the 505 running, even w/ a .616 lift rolle3r in it . No problems --------I`m sold on fluid dampers ! 383 sbc, 406 sbc , 440/505 now .

Anyone have an issue with the aftermarket harmonic balancer being thicker and thus throwing off the belt alignment ?
Early models were way off, later "2.0" models had a recessed face for more accurate stock pulley alignment. IIRC my first genuine LA Fluidamper was alignment challenged. Fluiddampers wont need to be balanced. Balance your crank and flexplate/flywheel together then bolt up the fluiddamper. My balancer did adjust a stock damper to neutral on a 318 I built. It was a little off, Mopar tolerances he said...

Only reason I’m taking the balancer with me is so the machinist can give me his opinion on it and if he’s comfortable with it, then I’ll have him hone it for proper press fit.
Just a general comment for late 340 and 360 engine owners: If you are not changing to internal balance, then the balance process and actual engine operation still requires the proper external weight place at the right distance from the crank centerline and the correct distance out on the snout. If the fluid damper cannot be used in the balance process, then something has to be done to put the weight in the right spot for crank balancing. (Or the balancer has to be able to figure this out without the external weight... I don't know that much about the machines to be able to say.)

I see some of the Fluidampers for external balance engines, have a removable center hub that includes the external balance weight; apparently, this hub gets pulled out and put on the crank for the balance process, then reinstalled in the damper ring for final assembly. But I don't see any Fluidampers listed for a 360 external balance in their catalog, only for internal balance cranks, so no such removable, weighted hub exists from them as far as I can tell. If the Chinese product copies this, then it won't be usable for an external balanced crank either.

-
Back