Which cam company?

-
Berry Cam Service in Lester Prairie in Minnesota. They have been building custom cams for a long time and do a great job. I had a 318 with a custom grind from them, it sounded like a 340 and ran great! I have always heard good things about them. Just "google" them for their info and phone number.

I'm just curious would a Bigger cam company be better that have more money for R&D or is there something I'm missing?

Whoever you go to, make sure to tell them that you want one with an intergrated cast iron gear on it (so you can use a hardened intermiate shaft) or you'll be using a bronze gear and be tearing the motor all apart for a complete rebuild. That bronze gear setup was designed for racers who are continuously ripping into their motors.

I'd stay away from the big company tech lines. They tend to look at nothing but what's in the catalog.

Call an engine builder like Brian at IMM, Indio Motor Machine. Be honest about use and expectations. He can get anything from the comp catalog ground, many times for a price better than a shelf cam.

Tim at Bullet Cams is good and he grinds Hughes stuff for them now IIRC.

Hughes grinds nothing of there own stuff, they sub all that work out. Engle used to do hughes cams.

Whoever you go to, make sure to tell them that you want one with an intergrated cast iron gear on it (so you can use a hardened intermiate shaft) or you'll be using a bronze gear and be tearing the motor all apart for a complete rebuild. That bronze gear setup was designed for racers who are continuously ripping into their motors.

Very good point.

I'd stay away from the big company tech lines. They tend to look at nothing but what's in the catalog.

Call an engine builder like Brian at IMM, Indio Motor Machine. Be honest about use and expectations. He can get anything from the comp catalog ground, many times for a price better than a shelf cam.

Hughes grinds nothing of there own stuff, they sub all that work out. Engle used to do hughes cams.

Nice to know. Thanks.

I used Gerry from Schneider in Ca, I phoned a few cam companies before him and was not getting what I wanted, Gerry actually understood what I was trying to achieve and ground me a custom solid for my blown 340. Schneider makes power.

I'd go Bullet cams. Many of the companies mentioned just TRY to copy good grinds(that never works out well) and just by looking at a cam you would NEVER know if it was a lobe that would work or be a pile of garbage.

Great advice.
I used Bullet for my deal and the amount of conversation that occurred before we settled on a grind spoke volumes about their desire to get it right for me.
The more information you can provide them........" real " end use , flow numbers , compression , gear , trans , fuel etc. will help them pin down exactly what you need.
Brian at IMM is very highly regarded with the small blocks and there are others I'd trust as well.
Ryan at Shady Dell has been really helpful with my build.
And Tim at Bullet definitely knows his stuff.

-
Back