which crate motor would you choose

-
Guitar, that is indeed a good deal with a really nice set of pistons to boot.
Do they put them together right though is the question, and I wonder what the customer service is.

Does the shipping seems a little high to you?

Last time I shipped a motor, it was about 150 bucks a couple years ago. But maybe something changed?

If you bought it, then went through it and corrected somethign you found, and were willing to do that, then yes, I agree it's a good deal.

I really know nothing about them, the shipping may include the crating charge, it's only as good as the condition it gets to you in. But yeah frieght shipping by truck has gone up in recent times.

If I bought a short block I would definetely go through it before installing it. I don't care where it came from, everyone is human (well some more than others) and we all make mistakes. But if I bought a complete dyno tuned and broken in engine, well then I might just pull the pan and rockers check all the torque settings and look for anything abnormal in the pan.

I thought the point of buying a crate motor/shortblock was to be able to put in right in the vehicle,if you have to check everything out(take it apart when you receive it)which i highly recommend from the crate/crap motors i've seen,why bother buying one have one built for you...

I thought the point of buying a crate motor/shortblock was to be able to put in right in the vehicle,if you have to check everything out(take it apart when you receive it)which i highly recommend from the crate/crap motors i've seen,why bother buying one have one built for you...

Time is also a consideration, when I bought my shortblock I was in the middle of a heated points battle for the track championship, with only 2 weeks of racing left, a severly wounded engine and only a week to get another one together buying an available crate short block was the only alternative other than sitting out the rest of the season and missing the finals.

Back in 07, Mopar Muscle magazine did a shootout for small block builders. This would be a fair comparison of what different engine builders who are interested in building or keeping a reputation are producing. You've already heard from Diamondback in this thread. Check the others to see what they can do. The links are the lead up to the challenge and the results. Hope this is helpful.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...2007_mopar_muscle_engine_challenge/index.html

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/...opar_engine_challenge_dyno_results/index.html

any
other opinons
I am 50. I just rebuilt a 340 in my garage. The first engine/swap I ever did. I had the machine work done at my local machinist. But I assembled everything. I pulled my old engine. I installed my newly rebuilt engine. It started on the second crank. It was like the birth of a new child. I learned a ton of info. It took 3 months for the swap. Point is...I know that it was done right(well..hoping it was done right). Because i did it. I don't have a lot of space. And lord knows that I am millions of brain cells less than when I was 20. Try building it yourself. That's what the hobby is all about. Don't be shy. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Don't be in a rush. If you are younger than me than I guarantee you won't.

There's a huge difference in quality and ability when buying a "complete" crate type engine. Price shopping will more than likely get you in trouble as a result.. Because trying to produce a lot of them for the least cash leads to errors and problems they can push on the buyer. I think you are far better getting ideas about good shops close to you, and then callign them directly. It will not be the cheapest, but you will not have the crating or shipping charges and you can see it coming together and have a hand in the parts choices. IMO, a quality very mild 4" stroke long block cannot be built for less than $5000 and you'll still need the carb, water pump, oil pan, etc.

Glad I read this thread, at one point in time I was looking into a blueprint crate engine from summitracing. Anybody know or heard of anything good or bad about Maund Motorworks engines?

I have a mopar performance 360 Magnum crate motor in my 1971 Demon. It is rated at 380 HP and have had no problems with it. Runs great. 4.79 sec. in 100 yards.

And it's a good looking car too. Welcome to the site. I'd like to see more pics of your car.

The problem is 1 or 2 % get a bad one and then post on the interweb about it and 10,000 people read it then spread the word about what garbage these things are and there you have it. You have people who have never bought one, never owned one or even really knew of anyone that had one bad mouthing them and telling everyone what a piece of crap they are because they read it on the internet, it must be true!

Here are a couple of pictures on my Demon.

71 demon.JPG

DSCF0863.jpg

Glad I read this thread, at one point in time I was looking into a blueprint crate engine from summitracing. Anybody know or heard of anything good or bad about Maund Motorworks engines?

I know nothing about them but they have 100% feedback. Does that mean anything on fleabay? I don't know. They sound like thay use some good parts but how is the machine work? Hard to say.

What you might try doing is sign up at ebay if you already haven't and message some of the people that obviously bought engines from them in the past and ask how they like it now.

I have not read all the responses BUT NOT THE BLUEPRINT!

You will REGRET it!

I have not read all the responses BUT NOT THE BLUEPRINT!

You will REGRET it!

Were you the guy who had the piston ring issue from them?
That is the only bad thing I have heard. I dont recall who it was though.

Were you the guy who had the piston ring issue from them?
That is the only bad thing I have heard. I dont recall who it was though.

Yep, the rings were wrong...

Here is my thread on moparts about it:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...stionAnswer&Number=3637741&fpart=1&PHPSESSID=

Another guy had a lot of trouble too...

Should have known when I called them and they did not know how the engine was balanced....

They told me to weld converter weights to the flywheel.... - crazy...

In the moparts thread, I state all the facts, about the motor...

I was working on getting it back together today... I have about another 1200+ in redoing everything...

Maund seems to be a decent guy from what I've read and the limited interaction I've had with him over the years.

Build it yourself!! This way you know EXACTLY how it was built! You will learn a lot through the whole process as well.

Well frickg!

I guess I should come around here more often. Computer blues and all.

Did you find your builder yet? I have a couple/few 360's to start with... One is a 74 truck 360, should be a good one....

Computer issues suck, and I am in the middle of a ten speed roadranger swap into my 92 cummins truck....

-
Back