Which Cylinder Heads?

-

charger426

Reaction score
So my buddy decided to keep his CNC’ed Stealth heads so I’m looking for some cylinder heads for my stroker motor. I contacted Hughes yesterday asking about their CNC’ed ProComp heads. They said they flow the same as their CNC’ed Edelbrock RPM heads and the only difference between the ProComp and RPMs were “American made, helicoil inserts in the threads, pushrod tunnels clearance properly” with the RPMs. I was all set to save 700 bucks to use the ProComps but I then I saw the below article on Hughes webpage. The article says I would have to use offset rockers with the ProComps. If the ProComps were the same as the RPMs I shouldn’t need the off-set rockers. I already have a set of 1.6 standard style roller rockers that I was planning on using for this build. Does anyone have any experience or can comment on needing to use off-set rockers with the ProComps? Or does anyone else have any suggestions on a head to use that is around 2K and uses standard rocker geometry?

Background on the car’s use/current parts. Car is a 71 Swinger that will spend 99% of its life on the street and maybe one or two passes down the track. Want to build a very fun and fast street car that I could drive daily if I wanted to. I already have a set of tri-y headers that I will be using and I’m planning on going with a dual quad modman intake.

Pro-comp info
http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/2procompcylinderheads.php

Flow numbers
http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/1headflowchartscomparisons.php#4650S3

How much are the off set rockers?
From what it sounds like the pro comps require it while the Edelbrock one allow you to use you the rockers you already have. Just Sayin.

How much are the off set rockers?
From what it sounds like the pro comps require it while the Edelbrock one allow you to use you the rockers you already have. Just Sayin.

Hughes rockers are about 700, so basically the difference in price between the RPMs and ProComps. The thing is the ProComps are apparently a copy of the Edelbrock Victor head (hence the need for off-set rockers but, they only flow like the RPMs.

If I go with Max Wedge ports don’t I need both a special intake and headers?

Yep, that's what makes them "Max" wedge heads.... :cheers:

You could always port an intake if you can't find a crossram to match it. :D

Mancini Racing repros the stock Max Wedge exhaust manifolds. :glasses7:

Whoever you were talking to must have been confused and thought you were talking about the small block heads as the RPM and ProComp use the same rockers. The ProComp big block heads do require offset rockers, I have a pair of the heads at my elbow right now.

Just get the big block CNC'd RPM heads.

Yep! No sense saving on the heads when you have to re spend the like amount of rockers.

Yeah the off-set rockers take away any savings I was expecting with the ProComps. Guess the CNC’ed RPMs are the way I will be going, unless anyone else has any suggestion.

Yeah the off-set rockers take away any savings I was expecting with the ProComps. Guess the CNC’ed RPMs are the way I will be going, unless anyone else has any suggestion.

Well you could always go for those stage 4(?) heads that convert them from standard to Hemi heads, just sayin. But that's only if you have a bunch of money burning a hole in your pocket.

Yeah those do look bad *** but like most people I don’t have money burning a hole in my pocket :)

I've heard mixed reviews about INDY-EZ heads. Any opinions on going with the EZs over the RPMs?

Yeah I remember hearing something about those around SEMI. Haven’t heard anything else about them though. I’m not putting together this motor until this time next year so unless some deal shows up I’ll be looking for heads for a little while now.

The trick flows are supposed to come in around 2K.

Hughes 2600+ then you need to buy valve gear... more $

I'm down if they are 2K. Flow wise they are very close to the CNC’ed RPMs, E-Streets, and EZs that Hughes is offering.

The trick flows are supposed to come in around 2K.

Just watched Trick Flows video on YouTube about their upcoming heads looks like they are shooting for a 1800-1900 price range. If their numbers are correct then this heads are going to be an AMAZING value. Within 5 CFMs of CNC RPMs from Hughes on the intake and better on the exhaust for 700-800 dollars less!

Trick Flow Specialties1 month ago

The cost will be in the $1,800.00-$1,900.00 range for the complete pair. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thanks for watching!

Just watched Trick Flows video on YouTube about their upcoming heads looks like they are shooting for a 1800-1900 price range. If their numbers are correct then this heads are going to be an AMAZING value. Within 5 CFMs of CNC RPMs from Hughes on the intake and better on the exhaust for 700-800 dollars less!

Trick Flow Specialties1 month ago

The cost will be in the $1,800.00-$1,900.00 range for the complete pair. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thanks for watching!

Exactly! An amazing value indeed....

INDY 440EZ-1 heads have a much better starting point, easy to CnC, and have stock ports and rocker locations. for $300 more than the eddy's fully assembled...they are the way to go!! AND THEY'RE AMERICAN!!!

just a thought but has anyone ever purchased from Indy's surplus link?
New Mopar Stage VI head and manifolds

Manifold fits 440 block with no adaptors needed
Heart shaped straight spark plug chambers... Combo price $795.00

Are you talking about buying from INDY directly? I've heard nothing but horror stories from people that have dealt with INDY directly from a post purchase customer service prospective. Even though I'm planning on ordering an INDY ModMan "kit" I will be ordering from a dealer rather than INDY directly.

I'm also in process building a 400/470 stroker. I've got a deposit on the Trickflow 240's. They will be released April 1st (no foolin'). Hands down best head for the $$ it seems. Should be a treat for the street !!

-
Back