Which engine?

Which engine?

• Build the 2v 273 that I already have into a 'Commando'

• Try and find an original Commando engine

• Put in a 318 CID

Results are only viewable after voting.
-
318 will make more power than a 273, all else being equal. 45 cubes in bore is huge, and that's the only difference. Besides, much easier/cheaper to find a good 318. But while your searching, I'd include a 360 into the search. Why not? they hold a 42 cube advantage on the 318, and 87 cube advantage over a 273

318willrun,

My thoughts exactly, but since I live in the north woods, my options are limited - drove 2000 miles to pick up my 'new' 65Cuda... - so finding a 360 might be an issue. The Mob here :mob: seems to think I should use my existing 273, beefed up, and I can figure out something for the old Cuda once I'm done. I could 'part it out' or I can get it running as well, I do have two boys - Don't seem right to have two boys and only one Cuda... But that is a question for another day...

Problem is that if I use the 273 and then find a 318 or 360, I'll probably want to put the bigger engine in the Commando and put the 273 BACK into the original. Guess I'm not sure if that it is a 'problem', maybe that's just the way it is with MOPARs... :)lol:).

65Cudafix

Oh hell! Get what ya want and pump it up! Go have some smokin fun!

drop a running 318 into the one that is closest to being back on the road. It is easier to work on a second car when the first is driving. when time and money comes available, rebuild the 273 for the commando car, drop it in place of the 318 and keep the running 318 for the second car.

318willrun,

My thoughts exactly, but since I live in the north woods, my options are limited - drove 2000 miles to pick up my 'new' 65Cuda... - so finding a 360 might be an issue. The Mob here :mob: seems to think I should use my existing 273, beefed up, and I can figure out something for the old Cuda once I'm done. I could 'part it out' or I can get it running as well, I do have two boys - Don't seem right to have two boys and only one Cuda... But that is a question for another day...

Problem is that if I use the 273 and then find a 318 or 360, I'll probably want to put the bigger engine in the Commando and put the 273 BACK into the original. Guess I'm not sure if that it is a 'problem', maybe that's just the way it is with MOPARs... :)lol:).

65Cudafix
I can't imagine it would be that much different in Minn. vs the NW corner of IL. (where I live). Local junk yards will sell running 360's/318's magnums for about 350-400 bucks with around 150,*** miles. LA's are not quite as common anymore, but those are even a little cheaper.
Other places you can look: Any older, junky or wrecked pickup, van, Diplomat, and the such. Many times you can get the hole vehicle for 400 bucks. Pull the mechanics and the body will bring you a hundred back in scrap.

I can't imagine it would be that much different in Minn. vs the NW corner of IL. (where I live). Local junk yards will sell running 360's/318's magnums for about 350-400 bucks with around 150,*** miles. LA's are not quite as common anymore, but those are even a little cheaper.
Other places you can look: Any older, junky or wrecked pickup, van, Diplomat, and the such. Many times you can get the hole vehicle for 400 bucks. Pull the mechanics and the body will bring you a hundred back in scrap.

318willrun, Yeah the local lot has 318's but no 360's. You think to go for a magnum? Will they fit in a '65? 65Cudafix

Local junk yards will sell running 360's/318's magnums for about 350-400 bucks with around 150,*** miles.
Other places you can look: Any older, junky or wrecked pickup, van, Diplomat, and the such. Many times you can get the hole vehicle for 400 bucks.
I love middle America!
Around here, the local junk yard sells engine for 800-1000, exhaust manifolds extra, computer extra for 300, transmissions sell between 1200-1500. Old relics can't be found. Actually old is consider a 2005 & down. Local parts kid scored big time with a 2003 Dodge pick up W/a 5.9. 153,00+ miles for 600 bucks. A rusted wreck it is.

I chose a 273 since he has one. Some gaskets, seals, brass freeze plugs, cam, lifters, double roller timing chain, intake, 4 barrel, and a 4 speed will embarrass a lot of people. Have you guys had a HP 273? In and running in a weekend. Enjoy it. Good heads, forged crank, even good mpg. Do what you want with second one. They are great cars that were meant to be driven.

Don't built the car with cancer in the frame. Build a 318 for the second car and let the party begin.
I "commando built" my 2V 273 with a 904 and it is a nice runner but low on torque.
You can make a 318 scream for walmart prices-------just sayin--------------
Thank you for your service and welcome aboard.

318willrun, Yeah the local lot has 318's but no 360's. You think to go for a magnum? Will they fit in a '65? 65Cudafix
yep, magnum's will fit the same.... magnums have just a couple of minor hick-ups to hurdle, but very easily done. Lots of info on that swap as well

I would say a 318 is a quick option ...to get it running

However I would still be on the lookout for a 360.

I am surprised no one has mention this but a 360 is also good for future expansion. ......think 408 stroker. That is a very far off goal but a 360 is like buying an upgradable computer because a stroker option is definitely on the table with a 360.

You could stroke a 318 but that is not as effective for the money.

I like all mopar engines, I am even building a slant six now for fun because there is no such thing as a bad mopar engine. I do have a 360 tucked away in one of my darts and I can see the day I move for an upgrade and order a stroker kit and bring the big guns out.

For now, the stock 360 is very effective.....3.58 stroke vs. 3.31 stroke. There is a difference there, and that makes the 360 very effective even in stock form.

Just don't get the idea of putting 360 heads on a 318, the increased combustion chamber size kills the compression and it wont run right ....ask me how I know :realcrazy:

I would say a 318 is a quick option ...to get it running

However I would still be on the lookout for a 360.

I am surprised no one has mention this but a 360 is also good for future expansion. ......think 408 stroker. That is a very far off goal but a 360 is like buying an upgradable computer because a stroker option is definitely on the table with a 360.

You could stroke a 318 but that is not as effective for the money.

I like all mopar engines, I am even building a slant six now for fun because there is no such thing as a bad mopar engine. I do have a 360 tucked away in one of my darts and I can see the day I move for an upgrade and order a stroker kit and bring the big guns out.

For now, the stock 360 is very effective.....3.58 stroke vs. 3.31 stroke. There is a difference there, and that makes the 360 very effective even in stock form.

Just don't get the idea of putting 360 heads on a 318, the increased combustion chamber size kills the compression and it wont run right ....ask me how I know :realcrazy:

Rainy Day Auto,

Thanks for the advice, I certainly will/would consider a 360, but as I stated when I casually looked around there weren't none... Then again, please correct me if I'm wrong, I am a newbie (and an idiot), but how much pony power does one want in a '65 Cuda? I believe I read around here somewhere that more than 300 or so and its like kissing your sister... I can't believe I'm saying this here, but can't you have too much engine for a small car? Maybe I should hold off on a 360 until I grow into a 2d Generation 'Cuda... Please let me know your thoughts.

IMG_0707.JPG

65Cudafix

Rainy Day Auto,

Thanks for the advice, I certainly will/would consider a 360, but as I stated when I casually looked around there weren't none... Then again, please correct me if I'm wrong, I am a newbie (and an idiot), but how much pony power does one want in a '65 Cuda? I believe I read around here somewhere that more than 300 or so and its like kissing your sister... I can't believe I'm saying this here, but can't you have too much engine for a small car? Maybe I should hold off on a 360 until I grow into a 2d Generation 'Cuda... Please let me know your thoughts.

if you think the 360 will be too much to handle, just keep the gearing in the 2.s and run a low (stock) stall converter

300 HP will move an early A body along VERY well. Now, if you are wanting to turn low ET's on a drag strip, then that is another story. But it does nto sound like you want a fire breather, just something fun. An honest 225-250 HP will do well for you if that is the case.

I am not sure you have said what your ultimate goals are for the car...???? Just sporty cruising, or all out drag racing?

300 HP will move an early A body along VERY well. Now, if you are wanting to turn low ET's on a drag strip, then that is another story. But it does nto sound like you want a fire breather, just something fun. An honest 225-250 HP will do well for you if that is the case.

I am not sure you have said what your ultimate goals are for the car...???? Just sporty cruising, or all out drag racing?

nm9stheham,

Yeah guess I should have mentioned, I plan on street, would like to Rally drive it. I went through state/county roads in Nebraska on my way to Denver and thought those roads were made for pony cars:lol:.

65Cudafix

Are you talking rally as in real performance rally, or just brisk cruising on curvy roads? Either way, pay attention to having a wide torque band. That is a somewhat different build approach than what works for drag racing or circle track racing.

In that case, a higher compression ratio will be important to that use to help with the wider torque band, and that points to either of the Magnum's over the stock LA's. Only the first 3.5 years of the 340's came with decent stock compression ratios (actual, not advertised). The Magnum's come out the box with almost a point higher static CR than their LA counterparts. The LA's can certainly be built to higher compression ratios, but if you are going stock-out-of-the-box, then the Magnums are better in that regard.

Do you have your heart set on buying something and dropping it in, or building something or having it built?

The 273 commando engine was rated at 235 horse power and is 10.5 to one compression. That will make the little car scoot!

Are you talking rally as in real performance rally, or just brisk cruising on curvy roads? Either way, pay attention to having a wide torque band. That is a somewhat different build approach than what works for drag racing or circle track racing.

In that case, a higher compression ratio will be important to that use to help with the wider torque band, and that points to either of the Magnum's over the stock LA's. Only the first 3.5 years of the 340's came with decent stock compression ratios (actual, not advertised). The Magnum's come out the box with almost a point higher static CR than their LA counterparts. The LA's can certainly be built to higher compression ratios, but if you are going stock-out-of-the-box, then the Magnums are better in that regard.

Do you have your heart set on buying something and dropping it in, or building something or having it built?

nm9stheham,

I'm not opposed to either build or 'drop in'. As Tadams notes above a true "Commando" had good compression. Unfortunately I've only seen a couple offered still in their cars for 2K+ and I don't recall that any were running... I don't have the tools or experience for building an engine, but suppose theres only one way to correct that... A fellow FABO member has offered me his 318 in a couple of months, when his new engine is complete. I guess I'll make do with it and my 273 for a couple of years until I decide to upgrade to a 67-69 (Gen 2) 'Cuda...

Right now, I'm lost in body work and haven't even pulled the 273. I'll keep an eye out for parts. I saw one FABO member discuss re-working a 4v intake to fit in his 66. I cried. I told him I'd buy him a 66 manifold for the 65 but... I believe the intakes do come available here from time to time and will keep my eyes open.

Thanks for the interest and the advice, I really do need all the help I can get.

65Cudafix

Well, going with a known running engine would make everything else easier. And FWIW, the Commando's weren't truly 10.5:1. Mopar seemed to exaggerate by 3/4 of point pretty commonly. I suspect everyone did....

Just keep my comments on compression ratio and wide torque band in mind for the long term, for the type of driving you indicated.

The thing about a 360 is low-rpm torque.
If you like to put it in drive and just drive, it's hard to beat a 360 in a lightweight-A like yours. You can leave 2.76s in the back and up the TC a tad and leave the engine stock, including the big 2bbl.
I once did that with a 340. I put all the 318 top-end on it including the cam. It was dynomite. First gear was good to 60mph-plus and it boiled at least one tire most of the way there.
If you start with a Magnum, you will be ahead of the game.

There is only limited fun to be had with a 4-gear and hiway gears.
The Magnum can be set-up to rev 6000 easy and cheap enough, which will get you 60 mph,with 2.76s, so no shifting there :(
Around town shifting easy, I like 2800. This will get you about 28mph in first, and 39 in second, and 53 in third, and 74 in fourth.
Cruising is about 65=2460 with those 2.76s and 24.5" tall tires. So there you have your boring shifts. But hiway cruising is sipping gas.

If you go automatic;
The 360 will pull this gear pretty sweetly. If you need a little more off the line, I suggest a 2400 to 2800TC. I would go straight to the 2800, but that's just me. With the 2800, out here on the prairies,you wouldn't have to downshift to pass at 60mph.
There is no reason to not drop the running 273 in for now. But I,that's me,I wouldn't spend a nickle on a 273. Bin there done that.Well, I might turbo it.....:). Naw, just kidding

FABO,

Seems that the FABO MOB :mob: think I should build my current 273 to get the car on the road. Guess that's what I'll do, I have a line on a 318 for future build. I'll let you know how things progress. Thanks for you advice and suggestions.

65Cudafix

-
Back