Which New Tires to Use?

-

jysnflem

Reaction score
I would like some opinions on which tire you think would look best on my Dart. I already have Mickey Thompson SR radials up front 26"by 6". I've been running M/T ET streets bias 28"by12.5 in the back with no issues and had a set of BFG 325/50/15 drag radials that hit when I have my family in the car. They end up being 13.1 on a 10"rim and I sold them. I want a tire that can handle normal road abuse a some light rain. The M/T ET Streets SR 28"by 12.1 will fit and match the front with no problem,rain friendly, but I'm afraid the tire is to square and doesn't go with the Radir rims I'm looking for a period correct look. Protrac makes to tires that are bias N50 by 15 that's 12.6 on a 10" rim and a front skinny bias tire to match 26" by 6". The radials will give a better ride, but the bias have that buldge that was so common back in the day which goes with my rims. I'm either going all radial or all bias. What do you think . Thanks Jayson

cok-55515_w[1].jpg

cok-72146_w[1].jpg

mtt-6626_lf_w[1].jpg

WHEW! Ummm, IDK. I like the new tires look alot. Being a radial, it should feel good on the road. Period correct or not.

I was always told not to mix bias ply and radial tires…. But i don't know the reason behind this.

they have different road-handling capabilities that result in unsafe and unpredictable handling especially at speed.

I would go with the good ol' MT Indy Profiles, they have the look you want.

you can fit a 10 inch rim under the rear?? WOW that must have had some
work done to make that happen.

I am using 205/70/r14 front and rear on 14x5.5 steelies,
with 1970 era Plymouth wheel covers.

DSCN2307Medium.JPG

I'd give up alittle look in favor of safety. The M/T radials would be my choice.

Bob
64 Dart 360/auto/391

You can mix bias and radial on the vehicle, just not on the same axle. Meaning you can run radials in the back, bias in the front or visa-versa.
That being said, I wouldn't run bias on anything other than the rear of a pickup or on a trailer. Radials are just too far an improvement. A lesson learned for me was many years ago I bought a '66 Cutlass. It had new 60-series bias plus on it. The car always floated and wandered, but I had assumed that it was just because it was a big car. When the tires finally wore down I replaced them with radials. Wow, it was like I just changed to a sports car. Had I known I would have ditched the bias when I got the car.

I'm not arguing with 63valiant. It may vary from car to car suspension.

Years ago when bias were still available everywhere, I put 4 General radials on the 66 Dart. The ride was so harsh and noisy and jerky, I decided to go back to bias. I found a new pair of K-S 6.50 13s cheap from a guy, mountend them on the front, planning to buy a matching pair for the rear next payday. Hit the road for a 200 mile run, scared the crap out of me. Rear radials did all the steering. Stopped along the way and had them swapped, radials on the front, a little better, but any quick or radical steering bought you a ticket to a Space Mountain ride. I dug into the savings account and put tbias on the rear the next day.

So, I guess you CAN do anything, but I wouldn't. Newer radials are much better, but I wish I could still buy a set of those smooth, quiet, Kelly's for the Dart, neve have found radials as good. But I always take a smooth ride over 'sports car' ride. If I wanted a sports car again, I'd get another one! But that's just me...

-
Back