Which would you rather have?

-

mccula

Reaction score
I'm considering a deal on a 70' dart gt right now. (I know, I know.. dart gt, didn't make em in 70.. well they did.. search google for more info on what the car is/was.)
Anyway: The real question is this: which would you rather have?
'70 dart gt, beautiful interior, decent exterior. 340, 4 spd, 3.91 rear, drums all around
or
'69 barracuda. interior rough. exterior better than the dart, but not perfect. 318, 4 spd, 3.23 rear, front discs
The dart is nasty. It violently throws you back in your seat. The cuda.. well, it's a 318. It's kinda quick, but nothing 'violent' at all. Both cars are bolted up equally (4bbl carbs, mild cams, dual exhaust, headers, 340 has an eddy intake man, the 318 has a stock 340 intake man), so they are both bolted up pretty well, but if heads were added, they would make a better difference on the 340 by far IMO.
It is to be a daily driver, I travel back and forth to school every weekend on the highway for 30-45 mins, the rear can be swapped out of either car, and I also want it to be fast. The 318 doesn't seem to cut it for the fast part. The 340 is plenty quick for me.
So, opinions?

um, dart if you want something you don't have to put time and money in, barracuda if you want something that is more of a project. Personally I would think that the cuda will be worth more in the end but who knows. I can't decide if I like darts demons or cudas the most so I can't be any help their.

Keep the Cuda and put a 340 in it!Better exterior(you were saying)4 speed.The Cuda is a better looking car.My opinion!

Sounds like your already sold on the dart!

Motors come an go...
Its bodies that dont...

So whatever has the better body i say.

For me it would be the Cuda, just for the body style. Never cared about what the body or interior looked like much. Though the interior is alot easier and cleaner to replace than fixing a body up.

Engines and drive trains are all I ever mess with, so that having a 318 ...couldn't care less.

The Cuda would be my choice. Part of the reason the Dart feels so fast is the gear. Years ago I put a 4.88 behind a smoking[oil burning] 283 2bbl in a Nova and light to light nothing beat me. Just an example of what a gear will do.

My opinion means nothing, it is what you think, but here is mine

didn't care for the 69 Barracuda at all. I know same body as the 67/68, just hate the header panel and grills. Why they ruined the hood with the little rise in the center I'll never know. tail lights in the 67 are the best looking.

Don't like the 71 Challenger either, same as the 70, just different grill/tail lights

70 Dart, well didn't care for the new design over the 69, but over the past 40 years they have grown on me and I would pick a 70 dart over 69 cuda any day if they were comparable price and condition.

Now what you want to do with it. they will probably both get about the same mileage, my 67 Barracuda with 273 HIPO did about 12 to 13 mpg back in 74, my 340 Dart gets 10 mpg with Holley, 14 mpg with Edelbrock. So interstate driving and taking it easy maybe 15 with either car & 3.23 gears

The big question is whitch car is in better same and you feel would be more dependable, and WHAT DO YOU REALLY LIKE?

Good Luck

if I could only have 1 car..I would get the most radical one..back in the day..we pack our rides with friends and cruze the to street race locals..everyone chipped in on gas and helped in repairs/mods...and we had a few few.... street racing.

It would depend on the condition of the grilles on the Barracuda. If they are damaged they are super hard to come by and super expensive.
Good grilles I would buy the Barracuda.
Bad grilles then I would buy the Dart.

-
Back