whining from engine?

-

swedefish

Reaction score
Went out for a short spin this afternoon.
Still got that whining sound from the engine. Droped the fan belt to check if it came from the alternator or the waterpump, but the noice was still there.
It comes from the center of the engine above the distributor or the timing cover.
Could any of you guys have any clue what could be the cause of the noice.
It´s almost like something is to tight in the engine.
Here´s a video of the engine at idle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VruYnjtdeNk

Have you run the engine with the air cleaner off?

Try That.

and if I haven't told you previously....sweet car!

Don't know what that sound is, but your car is cool. I'm sure someone here has an answer for you. Although it kinda' sounds like a weird vacuum leak.

Thanks guys.
The noice is the same with or without aircleaner
With the hood down you almost could believe that it´s supercharged.

That's a small diameter vacuum leak. Where's the line that is supposed to go to the distributor? Noticed it's missing.

Hey guy, yeah that beauty deserves to lose that noise, I`ve never experienced a noise like that but, could dist. drive be making that sound? does your idle fluctuate? Looked if though you were moving dist. in video. Did you build engine? Sounds kinda like a noisy geardrive. Other than that, as mentioned vacume leak. weird indeed, good luck

kinda does sound like a "noisy" timing gear set....or like mentioned a small vacuum leak.

I mentioned the air cleaner, because I have heard a car sound like that that was sucking air through a partially closed air door that sounded very similar.

I hope you get it figured out...

Thanks guys, for the respons and the nice words.
I was thinking, I replaced the welch plug in the rear of the engine.
When mounting the new plug could it be mounted so that the geardrive of the cam is making noise against the dist.gear? (meaning, the welch plug is too deep in the hole)
Is the endplay of the cam regulated by the welch plug?

I buillt the engine by myself.
After some tuning of the carb, it idles fine.
The ignition is steady when checked with a timing light.
All new engine, oil pump shaft and bushing, distributor, timing gear/ chain.

That don't sound like a vacume leak to me. Should be more of a hiss sound. My truck had a vacume leak when I would put it in gear and drive just off of idle putting around it would surge and lunge like it was staling. Your car do that? Sounds more like a wuring metal on metal sound to me.

I don't know anything about big blocks but on small blocks if your fuel pump or water pump bolts are too long they can hit the timing chain which would cause a lot of noise.

Thanks for the inputs guys, keep ´em coming

Had a look at the dist. gear thinking it is bottoming in the camshaft gear, but no it didn´t.
Used a driller to spinn the dist out of the engine, no noice. Haven´t checked with a stetoscope yet, I´m going to borrow one tomorrow. Tried to listen a little more careful today of where the noice may come from, and I´m pretty sure of that it doesn´t come from timing gear or dist. gear, seems as it comes from the carb. The noice gets more clear the closer to the carb I listen. The noice varies with the rpm.
Valvetrain issue? Lifter issue?
Leaking intake gasket? Carb issue?

A stupid question, could the ignition coil make any noice on its way going south????[-X

And your sure you have all vac ports plugged? Any slop in throttle shaft/s? what kind of carb you running? You oughta take a Vid, cleaner off and run throttle up slowly. Try spraying CRC mass airflow sensor cleaner around carb shafts, base, and intake manifold edges, see if it effects running.:clock: Some carb cleaners might melt paint. let us know:happy10: Oh, and your not running a gear drive right?

if you think the noise is mechanical, you can use an old broom handle and place one end in different places on the engine and listening to the other end. careful of moving parts though.

I use a pry bar or extension with my hand cupped around the end to listen... Also try around the oil pump... I would think it's teeth (timing set?) or a gear rubbing somewhere... Like the oil pump and cover.

Try running a propane tank(unlit)LOL around the carb. base,if it idles up?There,s your leak!My 2 cents.

:cheers: I found the problem with the engine.
Prine and moparhead hit the nail with the head lol,
Had a leak at the foot of the carb, the carb wasn´t thightend enough.
Can´t believe that a vacuum leak could cause such a loud noice, even my neighbour 100 yards away from me could hear the whining sound.

Well, maybe I shouldn´t cheer because it was my own sloopy job that caused the problem.:bootysha:

Thanks guys for the help, once again FABO saved me.:cheers:

:cheers: I found the problem with the engine.
Prine, moparhead and pettydart hit the nail with the head lol,
Had a leak at the foot of the carb, the carb wasn´t thightend enough.
Can´t believe that a vacuum leak could cause such a loud noice, even my neighbour 100 yards away from me could hear the whining sound.

Well, maybe I shouldn´t cheer because it was my own sloopy job that caused the problem.:bootysha:

Thanks guys for the help, once again FABO saved me.:cheers:

Hey bud, glad ya found it. It`s hard to decifer a noise realisticly with the audio of cameras/camcorders. Enjoy your new quieter ride:-D

Thanks,
Could have sworn of that the noise was from some sort of gear.

good to hear!

Glad it wasn't something that could have potentially caused catastrophic damage!

Have Fun!

-
Back