White smoke

-

SkaggsMan

Reaction score
Hey Abodies,

Sunday I did an oil change on my dart, change the oil (5-30) oil filter, and put in a new t-stat. When I was done I let it idle for around 5-8 mins and alot of white smoke was coming from the exhaust. But when I drove it around it stopped, unless I park it. I did make a little mess with the coolent. Any ideas I hope it isn't anything major.:eek:ops:

You need to make SURE of the color. Pure white is water/coolant. Very light whitish blue is oil. Black/grey is fuel. Sometimes people get the white and light blue confused.

Has the engine been siting for a while ? if so give the valve seats time to soft'en and seal up from being dry, If you have been driving it and just changed
the oil to 5 w 30 the 5 is very thin at cold starts.
I had a truck I bought cheep because of this They put another engine in and it smoked because the exhaust system had oil in it after a couple hundred miles she cleared right up. does it smell like oil when you start it up ? walk around the back and take a sniff
Your breather cap on the valve cover my be clogged up and holding oil to long on top.
Do you have blow by ( a little smoke) when it is running at temp coming out the oil cap when you remove it ?

Strokerscamp: the smoke is white, but i will put my hand to it and see if it is sticky and check and make sure the oil is not milky again.

memike: It used to have 10w-30 in it but it has been 100+ here in SC I decided to try
5w I hope I just made a little mess and it is burning off.

Smell it too. If it smells like a 2 stroke or a weedeater, it's oil and you're probably a little color blind. lol If it smells sweet and is sticky to the touch, it's probably coolant.

Smell it too. If it smells like a 2 stroke or a weedeater, it's oil and you're probably a little color blind. lol If it smells sweet and is sticky to the touch, it's probably coolant.

Ok lets say I am a little color blind, I have been reading other threads and people are saying stuff like a cracked head or the head gaskets. The thing is I never messed with any of that I only changed the oil.

Strokerscamp: the smoke is white, but i will put my hand to it and see if it is sticky and check and make sure the oil is not milky again.

memike: It used to have 10w-30 in it but it has been 100+ here in SC I decided to try
5w I hope I just made a little mess and it is burning off.

The 5W is for cold climates and very thin till it warms up :shaking2:
Have you been driving it very long ? Milky looking oil makes me think it's been setting and condensation has built up in it, or you have a bad head gasket or worse a cracked head or block letting water pass into your oil...
When you changed it the oil looked milky ? Again Have you been driving it for a while now or just getting started ?

Ok lets say I am a little color blind, I have been reading other threads and people are saying stuff like a cracked head or the head gaskets. The thing is I never messed with any of that I only changed the oil.

Right. That's why I am leanin toward it bein oil. That's all you changed. Don't listen to forums. Listen to and trust your senses. That's what I am tryin to tell you. Smell it. Stick your hand in it and feel it. You'll figure it out. It'll probably stop after a while.

Memike I'm an idiot, I thought 5w was for warm climates, and yes it is a daily driver. I just use it for work and back "roughly 8 miles a day" And I have had it for about 5-6 months. I have not changed the oil until sunday, it looked really black and gloppy "you know just old oil" so I changed it. But like I said, How could I have messed up the head by simply changing the oil.

The 5/20 is crap oil for trying to sneak a few more MPGs outta these newer cars. I bet that's the whole issue right there. I bet if you change it back to say a 10/30 all that'll be gone.

Memike I'm an idiot, I thought 5w was for warm climates, and yes it is a daily driver. I just use it for work and back "roughly 8 miles a day" And I have had it for about 5-6 months. I have not changed the oil until sunday, it looked really black and gloppy "you know just old oil" so I changed it. But like I said, How could I have messed up the head by simply changing the oil.

This is good news, there was not water/milky looking oil before, so I bet StrokerScamp is right, I live in Arkansas and I run 30W for our very long hot summers and 10W30 for late fall and winter.. I bet all will clear up now that I have the complete story that you have been driving it daily and this just happened :happy1:

You ain't an idiot. You simply wanted to try something new hoping for good results. Don't sweat the little things. I bet your fix is an oil change away.

You ain't an idiot. You simply wanted to try something new hoping for good results. Don't sweat the little things. I bet your fix is an oil change away.
X2 :cheers:
We can't know it all, if we said we did we would be idiot's :D
Thank you for your time SS :cheers:

When you look at the viscoscity numbers on the bottle (eg. 10W30), the 10 refers to cold start. the 30 refers to running engine temperature viscoscity. .
Up here in Canuckistan:toothy8: we use a 0-30w in the dead of winter because it flows at -35.
If you're concerned about the high temperatures use a higher viscoscity oil, not lower. Try a 10-40w

When you look at the viscoscity numbers on the bottle (eg. 10W30), the 10 refers to cold start. the 30 refers to running engine temperature viscoscity. .
Up here in Canuckistan:toothy8: we use a 0-30w in the dead of winter because it flows at -35.
If you're concerned about the high temperatures use a higher viscoscity oil, not lower. Try a 10-40w

Yup what he said! 10w40 for hot temps.

In order to make white smoke with tranny fluid, it has to be poured slowly down the carb & burnt. We used to do this to clean the carbon out of the combustion chambers.

Cars with vacuum modulators on the trans can leak and pull trans fluid through the vacuum line into the intake.
Older Mopars didn't use this type of shift regulation, as they were made with the kickdown rod system.

In order to make white smoke with tranny fluid, it has to be poured slowly down the carb & burnt. We used to do this to clean the carbon out of the combustion chambers.

-
Back