Who’s into vintage bikes? BMX & Stingrays

-
you guys ever see this site?

http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/A/

I hag out on there and on www.vintagebmx.com as well as www.os-bms.com

Here are some other bikes of mine, http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/user/18268

I was in th bicycle business for some time back in the 80's-90's. I sold all my cool stuff back when I was starting a family, kind of like what is happening now days with you guy's and your cars. Some cool stuff I had.
Webco
2 Thrusters, 1 with the Tri Power
Race Inc.
PK Ripper
FMF
MCS 24" cruiser
GT Mach One
I wish I could have waited 10-15 years longer to sell. I could have cleaned up on Fee-Bay.
Very nice collection you have there Blowfish, I am jealous.
Here is my Schwinn Stingray Deluxe that I have customized. It was in rough shape when I got it.

I had a Thruster Tri Power and a Vanishing point but I had sold them. I have a pre serial number gold Race Inc and an SE DB IV (pre PK) which I am probably going to sell. The main part of my BMX collection is pre 82 Mongoose/BMX Products, pre 82 Redline and early Torkers, I need the room and the cash for my Dart so I am going to start to sell off most of the other brands and my extras

The market on these bikes have changed a lot over the years. The Stingrays peaked about 8-9 years ago and have fallen off dramatically since, old school BMX peaked about 2-3 years ago and has also fallen off as well, not as much as the Stingrays though. They have all fallen off somewhat but the mid 80's and Freestyle bikes are still bringing good money. Hutch is in big demand, I just sold an 86 Trick star.

Nice collection you have there. I like vintage BMX too and have a few projects waiting. I have a 77 DG 1 Racer I'd like to fix up, an 80 ish Torker, 81(?) Supergoose a few Haro freestyle bikes and my last is a late mid school BADD.

I also have a 77 DG undrilled frame, it's hard to find one that hasn't been drilled. PM me the serial numbers from your Torker and Supergoose and I can tell you the exact year, also where is the serial number located on the Torker?

were did you get the redline squareback? the one with two holes at the neck?

I bought it from a local guy that use to be sponsored by Redline and Cook Bros. back in the day. I have an extra frame and fork that I may sell.

Cool bikes man ! those bring back some memories, when I was in Jr. high I had a Roger Decoster, that thing was indestructible! I used to jump it off the loading dock at K-mart (4 or 5 feet) down onto concrete & never broke anything. Try that with a 80 dollar Wall Mart bike & you'll be singing soprano the rest of your life. My brother gave me this mid 80s GT Interceptor, for my 40th birthday. He found it at a garage sale & got it dirt cheap. I probably look like an idiot doing wheelies down my street, but who cares right ?

You would be surprised how many guys our age are still riding, I know a few guys in their mid 40's that are still racing.

Is this of any interest to you Blownfish. I think it came off a Moose Goose, not sure what year. The other is some Redline decals from the 80's. I was going to fee-bay it but thought I would toss it buy you. I would give it to you if I didn't need the $ right now. Just a thought.

DSC00002 (Custom).JPG

DSC00034 (Custom).JPG

No pictures to share but I still own my two BMX bikes from when I was a kid. I had a Mongoose with Roger DeCoster forks, Araya rims, Race Inc. bars, Tuff neck, Dia Compe brakes, those fancy hubs with the allen bolts(?), Torker bottom bracket, steel crank and KKT pedals.

When I was 13 I got a Redline 102B. Also had Race Inc. bars, Tuff Neck, Tioga headset, Tuff Wheels, Uni seat, Dia Compe Brakes and Shimano pedals.

I also had one of the first Rampar Super Chrome frames in the country, or at least that's what the guy at the bike shop told me.

I loved BMX but was never really competitive. I did actually race once or twice though.

In our hood we used to dismantle our banna seat bikes and turn them into BMX bikes. Good times.

BMX however gave way to a skateboard in my world and I never looked back.

That Mongoose sounds cool, some very nice parts on it. Get me the serial number and I can let you know what year it is and if you want to PM me your name as well, I can get the serial number with your name on the BMX Products serial number registry at vintagemongoose.com The guy that started the site (Waza) is probably the largest Mongoose collector in the world. He lives down in Australia, and is one of the most helpful guys I have dealt with in my years of collecting.

I have a Redline 600a that my son has claimed.

Did the Rampar have a gusset similar to the Mongoose but without the hole? BMX Products built some of the first Rampars and they looked just like a Mongoose but like the DeCoster they had a different gusset. I've been looking for one.

Those were Bullseye Hubs rmchrgr.
That was one sweet ride also.

Bullseye! That's it. Nice hubs. The Mongoose was an OK bike, very heavy though. My Redline was nicer, built from scratch with all the best parts of the time.

What I really wanted was a CR/KX/YZ 80 but I was not allowed to get a motorcycle. I had to settle for a fancy BMX bike. Poor me, right?

That Mongoose sounds cool, some very nice parts on it. Get me the serial number and I can let you know what year it is and if you want to PM me your name as well, I can get the serial number with your name on the BMX Products serial number registry at vintagemongoose.com The guy that started the site (Waza) is probably the largest Mongoose collector in the world. He lives down in Australia, and is one of the most helpful guys I have dealt with in my years of collecting.

I have a Redline 600a that my son has claimed.

Did the Rampar have a gusset similar to the Mongoose but without the hole? BMX Products built some of the first Rampars and they looked just like a Mongoose but like the DeCoster they had a different gusset. I've been looking for one.

The bikes are at my dad's house about an hour away from me. I have not seen them in years, they're just sitting in his basement. I bought the Mongoose frame used off a kid from my neighborhood. Just like the guys who owned muscle cars when they first came out, I never really thought it would be of interest to anyone 30 years later.

The Rampar had a hole in the gusset IIRC. The blue anodizing flaked off really easily, I ended up sanding the thing down and just left it that way. Might be in the basement with the rest of the stuff... Rampar never was a hi falutin' bike, the Super Chrome frame was thier attempt to break into the high end market. Didn't work.

Sorry, all this stuff is from memory.

Is this of any interest to you Blownfish. I think it came off a Moose Goose, not sure what year. The other is some Redline decals from the 80's. I was going to fee-bay it but thought I would toss it buy you. I would give it to you if I didn't need the $ right now. Just a thought.

The badge is from 85-86 Cailfornian or Expert, not sure of any other models it came with, I'm not that familiar with them after 82-83. The Moosegoose's were made from 80-82 and just had a decal on the head tube. I have an 80 Moose, great riding bikes.

I'm always interested in decals, let me know what you want for them.

Blownfish,
I think the serial number on my Torker is on the dropout. I had figured out what year it was before as well as that Supergoose but lost the paper I wrote it down on and life has kept me away from being able to do anything with them for awhile.
I go to the Rockford vintage BMX gathering every year since about 2005. I've met and re-met some of my childhood BMX and freestyle heros. This past year I got to meet Stu Thompsen. I also won his Redline that he raced in the silent auction.
I also raced again back in 2005 and I was hoping to do so again this year but I hurt my arm at work and haven't been able to ride (just get fat drinking beer). I bought a new Haro Team 20" to run around the track. Maybe next year.

IMG_0857.jpg

I have two old ten speeds that belonged to my grandparents.

One is a Schwinn "collegiate" and the other a Schwinn "continental".

I have no idea if they are worth anythng but they still look great and ride nice.

Thanks for the flashback Blownfish!I remember all those old bikes from back in the day when the movie..On any Sunday.. came out!

I destroyed all my bikes.

I do have a "vintage" mountain bike I just finished. Its a 1988 Klein Pinnacle Flame. Great technology for a bike backin the late 80's and still keeps up with the high dollar stuff today. I have been told the Klein Pinnacle was very high end in its day...maybe the highest that Klein offered.... I dunno for sure though.

thanks for the pics of the old bmx's and stuff.... nice collection.

-RPM

i had a '79 redline proline back in the day. i was an "A PRO" in Oklahoma till i got heavy into street racing. Traded the proline for a paint job.... LOL! wish i had it back. Anybody remember the monoshocks? I had a yellow Matthews with the girder fork. Wish i had that one also. Great collection of cool bikes.. "STOMPIN STU" was my hero also....

I do have a "vintage" mountain bike I just finished. Its a 1988 Klein Pinnacle Flame. Great technology for a bike backin the late 80's and still keeps up with the high dollar stuff today. I have been told the Klein Pinnacle was very high end in its day...maybe the highest that Klein offered.... I dunno for sure though.

-RPM

Gary Klein (MIT grad.) was hugh innovator in the fat tube aluminun bike market, mile's ahead Cannondale. He was selling a $6000 bike's back in the 80's. To bad he sold out to Trek. I remember when the Attitude hit in the mid 80's. Pro, Cindy Whitehead rode one.
I am refinishing my vintage MTB, a 1985 GT Backwoods.

i had a '79 redline proline back in the day. i was an "A PRO" in Oklahoma till i got heavy into street racing. Traded the proline for a paint job.... LOL! wish i had it back. Anybody remember the monoshocks? I had a yellow Matthews with the girder fork. Wish i had that one also. Great collection of cool bikes.. "STOMPIN STU" was my hero also....

Wasn't the monoshock made by Huffy? That's the one with adjustable shock in the middle.

Stu Thompson, Greg Hill, Harry Leary, Perry Kramer, and don't forget..........Radical Rick :-D

These old bmx links are cool.Havent seen most of these bikes in over 20 years!Notice the bmx bikes today theres only a handful of manufacturers compared to back then,and they were all american made.

These old bmx links are cool.Havent seen most of these bikes in over 20 years!Notice the bmx bikes today theres only a handful of manufacturers compared to back then,and they were all american made.

Yeah those days are gone. Profile still make's part's right here in St. Pete, Fla. about two miles from my house.

I remember when you had to have everything Ashtabula to be cool.
Ashtabula was all cast iron I believe.:-D Not the lightest.

Huffy did make a mono shock. It was for sure a rip-off of the Matthews Monoshock or the Yamaha.

I have a beat up Huffy monoshock in that garage mess.

i have an old huffy mono shock frame hanging in my garage. a friend found it in a salvage yard and knew i was into BMX back in the day and brought it to me.

Huffy did make a mono shock. It was for sure a rip-off of the Matthews Monoshock or the Yamaha.

Yeah I thought Yamaha made on as well. Shocks on the seat rails and I think forks also.

Yeah those days are gone. Profile still make's part's right here in St. Pete, Fla. about two miles from my house.

I remember when you had to have everything Ashtabula to be cool.
Ashtabula was all cast iron I believe.:-D Not the lightest.

Glad to here some are around yet.I bought my GT mountain bike and where the made in USA California sticker used to be it says proudly DESIGNED in the USA.

I ran Profiles 3 piece cranks,they were nice.

I thought for sure my son would have beat me to the punch on this one. This is my 66 Schwinn Cycle Truck. He's in the process of restoring it right now.

This is it Unrestored:
639.jpg

And this is the work in progress:
100_1922.jpg

100_1925.jpg

100_1926.jpg

100_1924.jpg

It has the old skip tooth sprocket/chain:

640.jpg

Wasn't the monoshock made by Huffy? That's the one with adjustable shock in the middle.

Stu Thompson, Greg Hill, Harry Leary, Perry Kramer, and don't forget..........Radical Rick :-D

There were several companies that made a Monoshock, Yamaha, Huffy, Matthews, even Redline and Mongoose made one, I am verrrry interested in finding a Redline or Mongoose Mono. They are pretty scarce though and worth a pretty penny, I will pay good money for the right one.

A few of the older riders from back in the day hang out on Vintage and OS. The Red Barron is on Vintage all the time.

I may be interested in it if you want to sell it, I need an old Mono to use for parts on a project I have in mind.

these bikes are becoming as expensive as some cars.

They're not becoming expensive, they already were. I have some that are worth several thousand and were worth more 3-9 years ago. The market on the older stuff already reached it's peak and has been dropping ever since. My 72 Pea and my 73 Lemon were worth $3000-$4000 each 8-10 years ago but a realistic price today is more like $1500-$1800 each. It's the same with the early BMX, they already reached their peak 2-3 years ago. The ones that are at their top now are some of the mid 80's BMX and the upper end Freestyle bikes.

Like all collectibles though, the best of the best will always have good value. Just not the big money they had when the interest went through the roof.

I ran Profiles 3 piece cranks,they were nice.

Those are some big money cranks today, too new for me but big money. I've seen some go well into the thousands a couple years ago. We're talking upwards of $3000-$4000 just for the cranks. I'm sorry, I love my bikes but that is insane and you can go a long way on a car with that kind of cash.

I spent 350 back then and THAT was alot.Them are some insane prices now!I
wonder what i did with them????????

Those old Schwinn's are the cats a$$ blownfish!

When I was a kid I had a Quad Angle and a Diamondback.

now I have a Haro Group 1AL, Just like the picture, but not mine in the picture.

haro28uc.jpg

Here are the current pics of Nikkis AMF Renegade. I still need to bolt on the chrome fenders and she wants to pinstripe the chain guard before we put it back on...

100_5152.jpg

100_5153.jpg

-
Back