Who here has gone froma Eddie to a Holley?

-

GoodysGotaCuda

Mr. Goody
Reaction score
I have a 650cfm Thunder AVS Edelbrock carb on my teen. Haven't had any issues with it daily driving it for about a year now. At the track, I'm not quite getting the hole shot i think i should be, I'm looking at some other things but a Holley D/P is one of them.

Anyone ever swap one? I've heard a couple guys stick up for the Eddie...but wayyy too many say I should swap for the Holley and I won't ever look back. I have a friend that will loan me a 650 d/p to see how i like it, just curious on your guys experiences. I would probably try to drive it daily if i could, or i guess i could keep a holley as a track carb and just swap it for that if it becomes to finicky.

briankaplan said:
Goody. I know what you mean. I got a 750 eddy on my duster. Just doesn't
have it off the line. I got a 750 holley dp. I might have to try it.

Yep, no matter how i tinker with it i cant get what i think it should be. With a decently built motor, 3000stall, low gear set, and 3.91s she should have a pretty good take off...but not quite :wack:

What i liked about the Eldo, it seems great for drivability, on the street. But i have always made more power with the holley

borrow the holley, try it for yourself, its only gonna cost for a gasket or two, them you can tell us which is better !!! but I will bet on the holley....

68gts340 said:
borrow the holley, try it for yourself, its only gonna cost for a gasket or two, them you can tell us which is better !!! but I will bet on the holley....

We're trying it at the dragstrip on wednesday :thumblef:

I switched from 800 Eddy to 750 Holley Street Avenger (vac sec). The idle was much better and went over a tenth quicker... I switched to a 750 Mighty Demon a year later. The idle was even better and went over a tenth quicker...

I swapped a 750 eddy on my 318 to a 750 vac sec Holley.......I picked up .3 at the track and I will never waste money on an edelbrock carb again. The car just drives and feels so much better. The edelbrock carbs are good for stock to mild motors but if you have a cam and headers and a single plane intake the eddy carb can't handle it.

I dont think it will make too much of a difference, if the Edelbrock has been set up right. It will dump a lot of extra fuel, which might feel stronger..Who knows. I dont think I'd use a DP holley on it, but that's me. I took a 650DP off a road runner 383 with a small cam, headers, and single plane intake. The owner took a little convincing, and I replaced it with a Holey 3310 750 VS. but the first run on it the car dropped .6 and went 4mph faster. The holley makes better power at full throttle, all you need to do is tune them so they can do what they were designed for. Of course, the same can be said for the Edelbrocks...The street Hemi ran the early AFB style carbs, and made serious power..Only soem of the Race Hemis came with Holleys.

I really like my DP on a car with a manual backing it up. The Edelbrock AVS model should be able tuned to deliver similar performance since the air door can be losend up alot. I don't think it will match it.

Im working on going the exact opposite direction.

Goody, wanna sell me that Eddy AVS when you are done with it?

shanker said:
Im working on going the exact opposite direction.

Goody, wanna sell me that Eddy AVS when you are done with it?

Shanker, I have had success with both carbs, the Holley does seem a little bit more tunable and I like the drivability of the Eddy. Can you list some of the reasons why you are switching away from the Holley?

if you mess with the step up springs and metering rods, and tune the air door to open just right, they can work. holleys can be finicky. I run a holley 750 VS with a proform main body and added a rear metering plate/quick change sec. spring kit. it runs awesome, but for my customers, I recommend an eddy since they don't know how to tune a carb and want driveability.

I agree, for the cost of some gaskets and maybe the linkage piece, you can test the holley. I would.

:wack: Well i ran the holley for 1 pass and quickly put the eddie back on.

Eddie was running consistant 14.6s, which is worse than my best of 14.3...but thats beside the point. The holley that ran good on my friends 360 ran a 16.2 for me. I think i took a nap on that pass..yea, we might have gotten a little better if we tinkered with it...but taking about 2full seconds off ain't happenin...so the 650d/p was way, way too much for my setup. Cost me $0 to try it, but atleast i can say ive tested it. Back to messing with the eddie, wondering if bigger shooters would help off the line.

Biggest puzzle for the night was why my previous best 60' on radials was 2.1 and my best on my 2" SHORTER, SLICKS was 2.1.......i need to get that 60' down. somehow get that carb goin better, more converter and some suspension. I thought the slicks would have helped better than that... :wack:

That doesn't sound right at all, did you take the time to jet it, and mess with the shooters? Or did you just leave the carb the way it ran on your friends 360 which was probably too rich for your motor.
Also did you check to make sure you had full throttle when you installed the holley?

ProStreetDuster said:
Also did you check to make sure you had full throttle when you installed the holley?

That's where my $$ would be. Even not tuned, it should have gotten closer than 2 seconds.

If you went 2" smaller tires, you should have seen a jump too. With no cahnges to 60', it could be weather related, or track prep, or tire pressures, or....

Was your finish line rpm the same or higher? What did you play with tire pressure at all? You should have a lot to start with..like 18psi. Drop it if it spins at all by 2psi, until it hooks. You want the most pressure that will let it stick.

On the carb, a larger shooter will end the squirt faster. My suggestion would be to tighten the door a hair first, and try that. If there is no improvement, try to find a smaller squirtor than what's in there, and try that. If it gets better, then go back and quicken the air door a hair. You may also try adding a few degrees timing with the slicks...

moper said:
That's where my $$ would be. Even not tuned, it should have gotten closer than 2 seconds.

If you went 2" smaller tires, you should have seen a jump too. With no cahnges to 60', it could be weather related, or track prep, or tire pressures, or....

Was your finish line rpm the same or higher? What did you play with tire pressure at all? You should have a lot to start with..like 18psi. Drop it if it spins at all by 2psi, until it hooks. You want the most pressure that will let it stick.

On the carb, a larger shooter will end the squirt faster. My suggestion would be to tighten the door a hair first, and try that. If there is no improvement, try to find a smaller squirtor than what's in there, and try that. If it gets better, then go back and quicken the air door a hair. You may also try adding a few degrees timing with the slicks...

We defaintely checked for WOT on the holley, we probably woulda ran better if it wasnt wot lol. But yea we could have messed with it, but we decided to just put the eddie back on for the time being.

And you mention the shooter. Right now my stock accelerator pump is on the lowest setting, the longer, less powerful shot. And it seems to work better that way, but the airdoor is very loose. So you are suggesting maybe try more pump shot and tighten the door some? Or whole different shooters?

thanx

Thrashard340 said:
Shanker, I have had success with both carbs, the Holley does seem a little bit more tunable and I like the drivability of the Eddy. Can you list some of the reasons why you are switching away from the Holley?

I drive a 75 Duster 360 w/ #'s engine and rebuilt w/ Badger Flat Tops, 340 Resto Grind Cam, 1970 340 intake and 1.88 J Heads infront of a built 727 and a 3.21 8.25 sure grip.

The car runs extremely rich, is not very tunable to me (but thats me w/ 0 knowledge of carbs) and gets about 9-11 MPG.

My 70 Coronet R/T, #'s matching 440/4bbl/727/3.32 8.75 gets 20mpg doing 70 on the highway, I think that this Duster should get about 15-19 driving it easy on the highway 65-70mph

I put a Eddy 750 (1407) on my Coronet, spent 10 minutes tuning it, and havnt touched it since.

I recently moved from Waco to Coprus Christi so we are now at sea level, which shouldnt affect it much, but when I stand on the throttle, the drivers side bank just pours black smoke out of the engine

i haven't made the switch but i'm planning to, i'm not running an edelbrock, but a carter AFB, so basically the same thing

I haven't met anyone who lost power when they switched to a holley

infact, yesterday i was watchin that show 'Pinks', and everyone who wasn't fuel injected was running a holley. Given that i watched about 6 episodes, that says something

Goody, the acc pump should be close in the "shortest shot" slot, mainly because of the convertor..But, if the secondary door is too loose, there isnt enough airflow thru the secondaries (because of small displacement and low rpm) to pull the fuel thru and keep the mixture where you want it. You can tighten the door, and let the airspeed thru the carb increase better before it's open, or you can add some pump shot to try to accomodate the lean rpm window. I would tighten that door first, if you are in nuetral, and snap the throttle wide open, the secondary air door should not open more than a small amount before you let off. If it opens easy with no load, it's falling open under load, and making a huge lean spot.

Greaser, please dont quote anything, or use "Pinks" as a reference...As fun as the show is to watch, there isnt much usable info on it, other than to see what people are like under stress and huge egos...lol.

No carburetor can be expected to be right for a package out of the wrapper, unless it s a factory numbers resto and #s correct carb for the application. And that's only because the factory already did the tuning for you. I'd wager any carb, even if you think it's good now, cant be improved upon if nothing was tweaked out of the box for you. I've met a lot of people who really dont realize how good "right" is on a carbureted vehicle..lol.

greaserkid said:
i haven't made the switch but i'm planning to, i'm not running an edelbrock, but a carter AFB, so basically the same thing

I haven't met anyone who lost power when they switched to a holley

infact, yesterday i was watchin that show 'Pinks', and everyone who wasn't fuel injected was running a holley. Given that i watched about 6 episodes, that says something

Hi, my name is Mike. I gained almost two full seconds, and lost 10mph using a holley. nice to meet you. lol, well we probably cuda tuned it a little better, i'll give it that...but gaining those 2seconds back i think was out of the question. 650 AVS vs the 650 double pumper.

greaserkid said:
well i never met anyone who used a double pumper either ;)

Well take a look earlier in the thread and say hi to rumble fish.

"I really like my DP on a car with a manual backing it up....."

oh and go to a drag strip and take a look at who is running what ;)

-
Back