Who is into Tractors ??

-
Into Tractors? Its not a hobby its a sickness.

camera 1 110.jpg

camera 1 087.jpg

camera 1 115.jpg

camera 1 117.jpg

camera 1 126.jpg

camera 1 134.jpg

camera 1 135.jpg

DSCN1501.jpg

DSCN1763.jpg

DSCN1783.jpg

Picture 022.jpg

Picture 023.jpg

Picture 082.jpg

Picture 089.jpg

Picture 101.jpg

18.jpg

26.jpg

N
Nice collection. Thing about your hobby,all the parts are manageable. And easy to push in and out of the shop. Had considered restoring smaller stuff too,gas pumps and odd yard machinery.
I acquired 2 cushman lobsters to restore. Been in the shed for at least 5 years.

My Dad, who is gone now, nearly ended his life young on one of those. In the back end of our property is a wooded/ swampy area with lots of tree roots. When Dad was young, they had a Fordson, of course with the deep cleated steel wheels. He was back in the woods pulling out trees and stumps, and one wheel got entangled in some roots. Before Dad new it, the thing was pointing straight in the air "it seemed to him." Somehow, more accident than purpose, he got the clutch released and the thing came back down.

This was an Oliver my Dad had bought shortly before he died. This was around 2000 at Mom and Dad's after Dad was gone we had a TON of snow. Never understood this tractor. It was an "industrial" and was REALLY too high geared. The bucked (replaced here by plow) was HUGE and heavy, and even with liquid rear tires, had very little traction with the empty bucket raised. Not long after this, I threw together an angle iron frame and stacked some sidewalk sections on the rear for traction.

SCAN05d.JPG

Gramma on the mower, Gramps on the Doodlebug. Model A with an added extra transmission, and a rear axle out of ?? Diamond T or something. This may have been before I was born. When I was 6-7, we moved to Gramps place, and Dad used that for a couple of years. One winter, plowing snow, the thing blew a rod. Plow used a manual "winch" lift made from old steering box

img034.jpg

Next came the "blue tractor." Dad bought this as "had been" part of a grader. All he got "salvage" was the belly pan/ transmission/ rear axle/ flathead engine. BUILT the rest, home made hood, rad and front axle from a 30's Ford, built the blade and arms with again, a "winch" hoist using a steering box. "Took the whole back 40 to turn it around" he said

img002.jpg

When I was maybe 12? Dad bought this Farmall "regular" from our great uncles. All it had was a crank on the front. Dad built electrics, added a flywheel between the gearbox and bell, and mounted an old Ford starter. Built hydraulics and adapted the blade from the "blue tractor" above.

That is not me, that is my little brother, killed in a car crash shortly after high school. He would have been a hell of a guy, was already a good mechanic at 18, worked at the local marina part time

In the photo below the electrics have been added, starter, gen, lights, and you can see part of the hydraulic hoses. The tank for the hydraulic is on left side, an old oil filter housing

the cylindrical units mounted on the front steering support are old knee action shocks, Dad tried to use them to "tame" the steering. They would have helped /cept they were just worn out LOL

img004cs.jpg

On the trailer" is when it was sold after Dad was gone. This rig was manufactured about '24--28 and we DROVE it onto the trailer

The framework hanging down in front of the rear wheels is for the snow blade. Hydraulics have all been removed in this photo, they were rusted/ rotten.

img005cs.jpg

Last edited:
This is as close as I can come to the "roots" of the blue tractor. Early graders were essentially redesigned "towed" graders with a power unit hooked to the rear. Some actually used tractors. The blue tractor was made from the belly pan/ engine/ rear of "something like this"

Oliver35HPgalionGrader1.jpg

Oliver35HPgalionGrader2.jpg

Another type of early grader

champion1a.jpg

There were all sorts of small graders made with Ford, Allis, Farmall, and other tractor drive units

893f608328ccd968bbf762e57d4445b2--antique-tractors-equipment.jpg

Last edited:
No heated cab, no cab of any sort, and no power boost, anywhere....

91035.jpg

Doodlebugs...........turns out "they are a thing.........."

Young son is not having fun, it seems

-
Back