Who is into Tractors ??

-
Place we went camping at as a kid, campground owner had n old Ford 8N tractor, and an old model A frame and rear axle he made into a flatbed trailer he pulled behind it. It had a brush hog attachment he used for mowing the field in front of the place, and i think he had a box blade attachment for smoothing out the dirt roads in an about the place. I really like the 8N.

Rural, farm folk have been restoring tractors now for years. They get carried away as us car guys. You can go to RFD-tv on satellite and see their auctions of restored ones off and on.

I am from a semi Rural area and most of my life I have seen tractors around but never gave much thought to them. But now I am seeing them in a different light.

Who likes old tractors

The Farmall 460 is what kinda started it for me

View attachment 1715143701
Mine not that old, but it is beat up ... I call it the "CLAW Deere"
20151020_085648.jpg

i don't want to put a cub to work. want one as a toy.. growing up the restaurant next to us had a cub and we had a ton of fun with that thing.. its more a memory thing. the A looks a lot like a cuband i've considered one and i know is more powerful but its still not a cub..lol
My Pop's '52 Cub got used a lot when He bought it in the mid '70's, had everything for it, sickle-bar, tines,discs,corn row-planter, frt. & back blades, woods belly deck, lime
spreader, plows, etc. Sold most of it, only thing left is the frt. blade, rear hitch/lift setup, and the Woods deck. We had a sizable garden, roughly 80x160, with a little bit of
everything in it. Tending that and mowing the lot & field was pretty much all it could handle, but it's a great little unit that's still pluckin' away plowing the snow every
winter! I bought some new 23deg tires for it and surprised Him one year, We got them mounted and finally retired the old 45deg donuts that were ancient and hard as a
rock, lol!! A Guy with a farm not far from where I used to work had a '48 Cub sitting out w/a for sale sign on it along with some others, had been converted to 12V and
an electric hydraulic pump, I called & He picked it up at an auction. Wanted $2600, a tad too much for one of My own.............................

I’ve got a 1972 Ford 4000 that I use to bushhog around the farm and will probably use it to put up hay this year. Actually need to go to the Machine shop tomorrow to pick up the freshly machined engine. Need it back together by spring.

that would be a blast to play with, but surprised he didn't roll it

Couple of old Ford N tractors.
Both require attention.

Last edited:
Here’s a “good ole” tractor story.

First a little back ground. My Grandfather was an extremely old school southerner. Not very nice, I remember several occasions when I was very young watching him shove an old revolver in his pants before leaving to play poker. Typical old timey uneducated southerner.

So in the early 60’s the Game Warden, who grandpa of course didn’t like got his new car, they drove cars back then, stuck in the mud on a field path on the farm. He asked grandpa to pull him out. So grandpa was happy to oblige. Long story short, after Dad hooked up the chain to the car grandpa let the tractor roll back into the game wardens fender and ran it through with the disks just befor snatching the **** out of the car. Dad said he drove off snickering after pulling the wardens car out.

No it pre-dates the F series. They are known as a "regular" after the fact.........when built they were simply called Farmall. No real model, that is all they made. When the F series came out, these became known as "the regular"

My uncle had a F20 with a 292 Chevy 6 in it. That was a screamer.

I have a soft spots for for Bantams. They are small garden tractor from the 50's. Here is one that I did this past year doe a guy.

KIMG0059.jpg
KIMG1320.jpg

I had 2 because the steering box went bad on my 8N lawnmower, it was cheaper to buy a second tractor than a new or rebuilt box. My neighbor found an 8N steering box in his barn the following month. I honestly think every barn in KY has 8N parts and Ford Ranger 2300 parts in it somewhere!

-
Back