Who "knows" car stereos?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
My 67 came with some Microshaft junkie menu driven POS that nobody could ever operate WHILE DRIVING

It's an Alpine CDA-105, anybody know if this is a "good radio?" Also has a big amp in the back connected to 4 little bitty speakers

But they chopped up the dash to get it IN there, and I'm left with two or three options:

1. Put this or a similar radio back in

2. Do a rework of the dash, including finding the radio/ heater trim

The question for you guys is, ARE THESE modern stereos "standard sized" and if so how do you figure out what size/ form factor they are so I can look for alternatives? It mounts with a sleeve, so I was thinkin' it's somehow "standardized."

The question for you guys is, ARE THESE modern stereos "standard sized" and if so how do you figure out what size/ form factor they are so I can look for alternatives? It mounts with a sleeve, so I was thinkin' it's somehow "standardized."

They are a standard size. The one you have is a single DIN. There are many choices. Decide on the options you would like and the price range and go shopping or download the manual (http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM CDA-105_EN.pdf) for that one and use the money on something else.

My 67 came with some Microshaft junkie menu driven POS that nobody could ever operate WHILE DRIVING

It's an Alpine CDA-105, anybody know if this is a "good radio?" Also has a big amp in the back connected to 4 little bitty speakers "

I felt the same way about my Kenwood in the beginning.
just ahd to have it because it had 2 little knobs that slightly resembled the original radio(s). The right knob operates 6 directions like a game controller and turns too.
I have learned to turn it on, change stations, and such.
My main issue is with the memory or loss of memory I should say. I set the neg' cable off the battery quite often. So the radio most always powers up to stand by. I have to find tuner, a station, turn the bass up a little and the treble down a little. Programming the stations or setting the clock would be more waste of time than typing all this LOL
Bottom line, You may not find a "modern" stereo you like. Most all of them are right in time with digital cameras, I-phones, and all the other high tech crap. FAR TOO COMPLICATED !
If you find a simple way to maintain the stereos memory with the battery disconnected, I'm all ears. Good luck

Thanks, guys. Ya, I'm thinkin' of just stickin' er back in there. I may pull the amp out --hell there's not enough speakers in the car to justify it!!!

This thing has no built - in CD/ DVD, but it DOES have a data cable, what remains to be seen is what all I'm able to hook to that thing.

'S better'n a hole in the dash, I guess.

Hell, just buy one with an iPod plug and you can take all your music with you anywhere. I have and Alpine CDE-123 stereo. I run two boxed Infinity Kappa 6 X 9's and one 12" Kenwood sub in the rear and two 3.5" Infinity Kappa speakers in the front. It is all powered by a Polk Audio 2200w 5 channel amp that barely fits in the damn car and a Sony 9 band passive eq. I guess I should say I will run all this. I have it all and it's ready to install. I love my music and you might as well have something to overpower the loud exhaust!

thats a reason i dont like apline... they are very comlicated...

as much as i dont like sony there Xplod series decks have the highest RMS for 4 channel of any deck...

they are simple to work and sound great...

as much as i dont like sony there Xplod series decks have the highest RMS for 4 channel of any deck...

they are simple to work and sound great...

Still have an old Xplod cassette deck with matching CD changer. It was a really good stereo and is going into my daughters car. Easy to use as well.

I,m still wondering what single and double din mean.

D.I.N. Is a standard created back in 1984.
Double D.I.N. is twice the height only. Width is unchanged.
Google D.I.N. for more detailed info.

I agree the menus on the Alpine are very complicated, I can't even adjust the clock without pulling out the owner's manual. Throw in an Ipod with 14k songs on it, and things get real complicated!!

That being said I think they are the best head unit out there and wouldn't own anything else. To the OP, look at the link provided above for the owner's manual and find out how to operate your Alpine before you go replacing it.

I printed the owners manual for my Kenwood from their website. It was helpful. 6 or more languages used up a bunch of my ink and paper though. I suggest you take time to select pages to print rather than print all.

Hell, just buy one with an iPod plug!

It HAS an "Ipod plug" that is not the problem. Problem is the Chinese teenagers who design the damn things so they cannot be operated "in flight." My recollection is that the panel lighting is not very good for night flights, either

Yup. I've just about decided to cram the thing back in there --at least fer now--and see if I can learn to navigate some of the menus.

I have an FT-1000MP Mark V field, it's bad enough. I have a Kenwood TH-F6A, even worse. I only THOUGHT the old Yaesu FT-50 was bad, but I STILL haven't figured out my Yaesu VX-5Rw

Anyhow, thanks for your thoughts, guess I'm back where I started. At least I know "the hole is standard" and what to look for if I find a replacement

just ask ur kid..but just so u know alpine is a top shelf head unit..sound like they took the subs out and left the mids/highs. i think i would just learn to operate the unit while sitting still..other then track change or vol theres not alot that needs changed while driving..if you want a diff style music set up ie. blues vs. country. im sure theres a field set up that can be switched for diff style of music, you wont have to go into advanced settings to operate it. When my son gives me a diff phone i kinda go nuts figuring it out..he says just play with it,and it will come,,hate to say the brat is right most of the time..Just remember it wont let you hurt it. I bet you get the rest of the system balanced and you will be vary happy with it..Havnt fig it out yet but some of thes kids think theres only highs or subs, they dont realize music is full spectrum..Im old but i really like my systems powerful and covering full range. learned long time ago you set a system up to play jazz and it will play anything,really well. good luck with it!!

-
Back