Who rebuilds 727's?

-

69dodgedart360

Reaction score
I am looking to have a basic performance 727 rebuild for my 440 A Body and not sure who rebuilds transmissions anymore. All I am interested in is something better than what it initially had with a 4 planetary gear and other basic associated upgrades from stock.

I am in the SF Bay Area I am open to a local shop, but also wouldn't mind waiting for one to rebuilt by a well known Mopar shop. Is John Cope still building transmissions? Any other well known Mopar transmission shops?

Thank you

Get a manual and do it yourself, they are really not that complicated and you will have the pride of saying "I built that".

Cope Bros are selling parts but last I heard not building transmissions. A&A Transmission (somewhere around St. Louis?) is a great source for Torqueflites, anything from restoration transmissions to super full race units. The owner and his son are super knowledgeable and stand behind their work.

A&A Transmission (somewhere around St. Louis?) is a great source for Torqueflites, anything from restoration transmissions to super full race units. The owner and his son are super knowledgeable and stand behind their work.

If you're talking abing Rick Allison who owns the A&A they are in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Tom

Read post #2 over and over and over again. Until it sinks in.

Yeah, but then if the trans craps out in the middle of BFE, I'd have no one but myself to blame ! :rofl:

They don't usually do that. When a beginner makes a mistake, the trans won't even move usually. Watch a couple of youtube videos, but don't waste your money. You have to be able to post pics in here when you ask questions.

Oh, and pull in and out on the input shaft before you remove the pump. Try to get some idea of how much end play there is.

Get a manual and do it yourself, they are really not that complicated and you will have the pride of saying "I built that".
My biggest issue was lack of tools to do the full rebuild. Taking it apart is not the issue, but replacing bushings & getting that drum piston retainer back together was a real challenge. Back when I did it there was no internet so I had no idea what to look for when inspecting the hard parts. If I had to do it today and had all the proper tools it would be a different story entirely. Lots of great parts now to beef up the weak areas.

I am looking to have a basic performance 727 rebuild for my 440 A Body and not sure who rebuilds transmissions anymore. All I am interested in is something better than what it initially had with a 4 planetary gear and other basic associated upgrades from stock.

I am in the SF Bay Area I am open to a local shop, but also wouldn't mind waiting for one to rebuilt by a well known Mopar shop. Is John Cope still building transmissions? Any other well known Mopar transmission shops?

Thank you
In California?

Maybe someone up north knows someone.

@GTXperience Might know someone

It's pretty simple to do. If you can do an engine or other mechanicals, a 727/904 is pretty easy. Lots of videos/youtube to get you through it along with tool/shortcuts. My favorite is the folks that say you need a slide hammer/chain rig to get the front pump out... NOPE

Lots of the performance shops take the same things in a base rebuild kit and mark them up. Transtar 22008c or CF depending on year up to 70 and 71+ transmission. Might have to piece some stuff together for everything.

Last edited:
Tools? My first trans was a 904. I compressed the direct drum return spring with a notched out 2x4 in the snow.
You're one of those "get 'er done" kinda guys, huh?! I was always taught to use the proper tool for the job. Kinda hamstrung me on some things!

Maybe someone up north knows someone.

@GTXperience Might know someone

It's pretty simple to do. If you can do an engine or other mechanicals, a 727/904 is pretty easy. Lots of videos/youtube to get you through it along with tool/shortcuts. My favorite is the folks that say you need a slide hammer/chain rig to get the front pump out... NOPE
Hah hah! I used threaded rod with nuts on the end then used a claw hammer to wedge it out!

my buddy val does and its an great job , he'll install anything you want . pm me for more info . he's not going to pull it or install it , he just deals with the trans itself . he here in san jose ca

Hah hah! I used threaded rod with nuts on the end then used a claw hammer to wedge it out!

Nah, easier than that. Get tailshaft housing/govenor off. Pull all pump bolts out. Put two bolts in that are 1-1.5" longer and run them all the way in. Stand trans on bellhousing and dead blow the tail shaft. Pump falls out and gets caught by the longer bolts.

Hit the play button... spooled to that part in the video.

Last edited:
-
Back