Who rechrome plastic?

-
Mr. G hisself was whining about doing the chrome plating way back in the 90's when I was buying bezels for my 64 Belvedere. I used to save all my armrest bases and turn them in as cores to them before anybody was repopping them, to offset the cost of bezels. He matter of factly stated that he didn't care for the chrome plating division of his business and wished he never got into it. He also stated that he hated the Nats and wouldn't be returning because of the long ride, the heat, and mostly dealing with the bezel issues. He didn't like taking in anything that was broken, and was quite crabby about giving core prices on anything less than a perfect core.

I also remember the line for the bezels, waiting in the heat, and receiving crabby service when you finally did get to talk to him, or his equally crabby kid!!! Geof

A lot of this is not Glens fault and he wasn't alone with his attitude. I've talked several times with him, Charles at CV Platers, and a few others.
Here's some insight for you... First the mix formulas for ABS or any other plastic will never be carved in stone. Their business wasn't brand specific. They took in parts from Ford, GM, any and all.
They din't have modern plastic welders. They used and 2 part paste like an epoxy, actually the stuff dentures are made of to do repairs.
So take a part like a rallye bezel with the radio area cut away. Use this section from a donor bezel to do repairs, make it look good. Put the bezel in a preheat oven and the brim warps, becomes more wavy than it was already.
Customer becomes the whinner.
There were some Ford arm rest bases that would go all to hell in the preheat oven.
There were some well designed and well made OEM parts that could be restored but... one might consider those good parts accidental. None of these plastic parts were actually meant to be restored.
In the end, all those I talked with were actually glad certain parts were reproduced. Fewer headaches for them.
They would go on to say they certainly dont want to be standing in the line of fire when the John Q. Publics want their reproduction part restored. Who knows WTF those parts are made of. The day will come when the owner doesn't know if his part is OEM or a Chineese reproduction.
I hope this sheds some light on the full history of this profession.

Ola Leanna

Ola Steve-O :-D

66MOPAR77 Shawn, thanks for that but as a quick recap, I have "Super Chrome" powder coating (and dozens of other silvers) but can only use it on metal items such as the dash frame itself. Anything that cannot withstand 400+ degrees is not suitable for powder coating.

I don't know if you've been following the adventures of our members in the FABO Reality Show thread, but I'm the other guilty party in Cosgig's 'vendor vortex' that's holding up completion of his dash and gauge cluster ........... :-D It's movin' up the list though!

I thought "Cuba Chick" was your alter ego running the vacuumized plating dept Leanna!! Maybe your little sister "Lena"??LOL!!

Hey Redfish, I don't want anybody to get the idea that I blame Glen in any way! As a matter of fact, if he were still doing the bezels I would have already bought mine from him, and sent all my good cores to him as well! As I mentioned in another post above, I have bezels from him on my 66 and countless armrest bezels and stuff from him on my other cars!!

He' probably out there right now saying how crabby I was too, and everybody else in those many lines!!! Sorry for the off- handed reply from above, my bad!!! Geof

I thought "Cuba Chick" was your alter ego running the vacuumized plating dept Leanna!! Maybe your little sister "Lena"??LOL!!

LOL!! I totally missed that earlier Geof. No little (or big) sisters for me though, sorry. The reason I'm the motorhead I am is because I had a dad who built and ran stock cars, and only one brother 6 years older who never liked to get dirty. :-D (With a quarter of Billy's 30x40 shop delegated to me and PSC, there isn't really room for any "departments" either. Sometimes [especially lately] I could sure use a couple walls though ............... :-\")

LOL!! I totally missed that earlier Geof. No little (or big) sisters for me though, sorry. The reason I'm the motorhead I am is because I had a dad who built and ran stock cars, and only one brother 6 years older who never liked to get dirty. :-D (With a quarter of Billy's 30x40 shop delegated to me and PSC, there isn't really room for any "departments" either. Sometimes [especially lately] I could sure use a couple walls though ............... :-\")

Sooo, maybe you're from Cuba then??LOL!!!:toothy10:

-
Back