Who rechrome plastic?

-

65dartcharger

Dart Charger 273 Historian
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have boxed up all my plastic parts for the instrument cluster on my 1965 Dart and are ready to ship it off. My question is; which supplier should I use to get it rechromed?

Thanks FABO

Leanna ~ The CudaChick1968
appears to have a loyal following on this site.

She powder-coats, ask if she rechromes yet. It is a different process. There is a guy in San Diego area that rechromes plastic. Ill try and find the address. reasonable too.

i was looking to get my ralley dash rechromed and was quoted 8 months to 1 year turn around and you could easly not get the same piece back.if leanna is thinking about rechromeing plastic i will wait and get her.

Leanna ~ The CudaChick1968
appears to have a loyal following on this site.

She powder-coats, ask if she rechromes yet. It is a different process. There is a guy in San Diego area that rechromes plastic. Ill try and find the address. reasonable too.

i was looking to get my ralley dash rechromed and was quoted 8 months to 1 year turn around and you could easly not get the same piece back.if leanna is thinking about rechromeing plastic i will wait and get her.

Thanks for the mentions guys, but rechroming plastic is a very far cry from what I do around here every day. I can't help you out with any of that and never plan to get into it.

CV Platers used to be "the" place but I don't know who's filling the void now.

My stuff is at GCAR right now, and they not only do the vacuumized chrome, but re-detail the entire piece/pieces as well. There is a 10-12 week lead time, and maybe more depending on what your bezels need. Mine didn't need any repair but it still took him 2 weeks to send me a quote. Beautiful work though from the ones I've seen!! Geof

My stuff is at GCAR right now, and they not only do the vacuumized chrome, but re-detail the entire piece/pieces as well. There is a 10-12 week lead time, and maybe more depending on what your bezels need. Mine didn't need any repair but it still took him 2 weeks to send me a quote. Beautiful work though from the ones I've seen!! Geof
GCAR is only an hour or so from me. If I decide to keep the oe dash stuff they are who I will be using.....From what I remember he has the molds to do radio & radio/heater delete for certain models.....I know he has them for the 67-69, I believe he was the one that the others that offer them now copied.....

I used chrometech USA and was more than satisfied with the results. I can send you a pic if you want, send ma your email or just look under the Mopar General Descusion for my thread. " Just got dash pieces back from chromer"

Mr. G's no longer does vacuumized chrome and only have what's left of their stock!! Long before anyone else even thought of offering this service, they were the only game in town.
I have a complete set of Mr. G's bezels in my 66 and after 10 years still look brand new!! Ill let you know how the GCAR bezels come out!! Geof

Mr. G's no longer does vacuumized chrome and only have what's left of their stock!! Long before anyone else even thought of offering this service, they were the only game in town.
I have a complete set of Mr. G's bezels in my 66 and after 10 years still look brand new!! Ill let you know how the GCAR bezels come out!! Geof
Didn't know that, thanks Geof

Here is a pic of mine Just done by Chrometech USA

Attachments

• 1DSCF3222.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 454
I had all the plastic dash parts in my 65 Dart "chromed" at Sacramento Chrome for ~$110. Took about a month because they were in the process of relocating. I took them in bare, after soaking a day in Super Clean to remove the old coating, then I sanded w/ 600 grit. The plastic looked new after my cleaning. It isn't a real vacuum deposition, but some type of new chemical spray. Not sure it is even real chromium, but they said it actually lasts longer.

I didn't try to repaint the background black. I think it looks better as full chrome. For the cluster I removed the clear lenses by drilling the plastic rivets and polished. I re-attached w/ plastic epoxy. Many of the mounting screw posts were split, so I wrapped tight w/ fishing line and covered w/ epoxy. Can't provide photos since the dash is wrapped while I paint the interior (low on my list).

I had all the plastic dash parts in my 65 Dart "chromed" at Sacramento Chrome for ~$110. Took about a month because they were in the process of relocating. I took them in bare, after soaking a day in Super Clean to remove the old coating, then I sanded w/ 600 grit. The plastic looked new after my cleaning. It isn't a real vacuum deposition, but some type of new chemical spray. Not sure it is even real chromium, but they said it actually lasts longer.

I didn't try to repaint the background black. I think it looks better as full chrome. For the cluster I removed the clear lenses by drilling the plastic rivets and polished. I re-attached w/ plastic epoxy. Many of the mounting screw posts were split, so I wrapped tight w/ fishing line and covered w/ epoxy. Can't provide photos since the dash is wrapped while I paint the interior (low on my list).

Very interesting.

Could you please post close up pictures of the pieces you had done??

Is it possible it is this process? I heard that this company was out of business. maybe there is another company or type of process based on this..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-1cTpSZ1l8"]Jay Leno's Garage: Spray-On Chrome - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a pic of mine Just done by Chrometech USA

Those bezels do look YUMMY!!! Did I read in your thread that you detailed them, or did Chrometech offer that service?? Either way, you're the envy of the Duster/DS crowd!! Them guage cluster bezels are almost impossible to find in a condition even remotely close to yours!! Geof

Didn't know that, thanks Geof

Mr. G hisself was whining about doing the chrome plating way back in the 90's when I was buying bezels for my 64 Belvedere. I used to save all my armrest bases and turn them in as cores to them before anybody was repopping them, to offset the cost of bezels. He matter of factly stated that he didn't care for the chrome plating division of his business and wished he never got into it. He also stated that he hated the Nats and wouldn't be returning because of the long ride, the heat, and mostly dealing with the bezel issues. He didn't like taking in anything that was broken, and was quite crabby about giving core prices on anything less than a perfect core.

I also remember the line for the bezels, waiting in the heat, and receiving crabby service when you finally did get to talk to him, or his equally crabby kid!!! Geof

Thanks Geof,
I can't take credit for anything but boxing them up and writing the check lol. Chrometech USA did the whole job, from stripping them to returning them to me as you see them complete.

-
Back