Who's running an AGM battery in a weekend driver?

-
I just made the swap to agm, i got a Interstate MTX 34 Agm battery through work, about $175 my cost. Replaced a 2 year old mopar battery that is still good but will keep for a spare.

22A4E2BE-16BB-4FF4-9DCA-A71631BFCE7D.jpeg

B10479BD-D4D4-44A2-B705-B4003CA956E1.jpeg

When I mentioned MT was Interstate's premium line I was referring to regular wet cells.
If 36 month is the pro-rate, that's not very impressive. If its a free for 26 months and then a pro rate beyond, that's decent.
upload_2022-6-13_17-39-35.png

When I mentioned MT was Interstate's premium line I was referring to regular wet cells.
If 36 month is the pro-rate, that's not very impressive. If its a free for 26 months and then a pro rate beyond, that's decent.
View attachment 1715941726

36 free replacement, most batteries do not offer a pro rate anymore. Mopar and motorcraft are free replacement only. As with some other brands

8 Years, Summit AGM Yellow Top, Reproduction in the fish and another Best Mopar Award!

Fired up just fine this weekend!

My 2015 Ram 3500 Dually "Batteries" just replaced last week! Oh another $500! AGM is doing me better!

I do tend it when storing for periods of time. In fact I have a NOCO G7200 hardwired in the Dually for quick connect and did not help those batteries.

image61222.jpeg

IMG_2776.JPG

Last edited:
My RK (Exide) is 36 month free replacement and 7 years pro-rated.

$165 retail.

2 of the last 3 RK batteries I bought were 5 year and lasted almost 7.

The 3rd failed after 2.5 and was replaced free.

Ive run a lot of AGM's,primarily optima's. I sold a lot also when I was in the parts business. About ten years ago the optima batteries went to ****. They changed something. The red tops were absolute garbage. They came in junk from the warehouse. The yellow tops and blue tops seemed ok. I'e run a blue top marine for about seven years in my pickup. But anything that sits for long periods of time seems to kill an agm battery. If you stick a battery tender on it you are all right. For the last couple years anything that I have to put a battery in gets a normal old fashioned marine battery;. They last longer,work better and are cheaper.
I'm no longer a fan of AGM unless it is mounted in the vehicle compartment.

I pretty much run blems or reconditioned batteries in everything I own, excavating equipment, tractors, trucks and cars. I get them for $40 and lots of time he delivers them. I get about the same amount of time as I did with new ones for a fraction of the cost. It does pay to have friends, Joe

Optima batteries must use an AGM mode charger ...OR...just do what others have done and put a Lead acid in parallel and that LA voltage will trip the automatic charger and start charging the optima as well. Lipo batteries have a similar issue when they get low the BMS will open the circuit and won't allow a charger to charge it (or the device to pull from it) as it will permanently damage the cell. So you have to use a lipo charger (up to 48 hours) to wake up these old cells or wire a like voltage cell in parallel and allow its voltage to trick the BMS to close and force a charge into the cell. Even "defective" lipo cells can be woken up with this method. My scooter i found in an abandoned apartment building took 48 hours on a lipo charger to finally take a charge: the charger probes the BMS with a pulse maybe every minute or so to see if it will take a charge, this minute pulse adds up over time and finally gives the BMS or cell enough voltage to trigger the BMS to allow it to start charging. Or you can charge the cell behind the BMS until it is charged enough to allow the BMS to let it change normally. Tricky stuff but these scooter/Ebike batteries are awesome in AH capacity.

Optima batteries must use an AGM mode charger ...OR...just do what others have done and put a Lead acid in parallel and that LA voltage will trip the automatic charger and start charging the optima as well. Lipo batteries have a similar issue when they get low the BMS will open the circuit and won't allow a charger to charge it (or the device to pull from it) as it will permanently damage the cell. So you have to use a lipo charger (up to 48 hours) to wake up these old cells or wire a like voltage cell in parallel and allow its voltage to trick the BMS to close and force a charge into the cell. Even "defective" lipo cells can be woken up with this method. My scooter i found in an abandoned apartment building took 48 hours on a lipo charger to finally take a charge: the charger probes the BMS with a pulse maybe every minute or so to see if it will take a charge, this minute pulse adds up over time and finally gives the BMS or cell enough voltage to trigger the BMS to allow it to start charging. Or you can charge the cell behind the BMS until it is charged enough to allow the BMS to let it change normally. Tricky stuff but these scooter/Ebike batteries are awesome in AH capacity.
Yep. The Optima charger or a battery in parallel is a must.

-
Back