Why a relative replaced some perfectly good Michelin Tires?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
She found a nail in a tire (tread area) on a road trip to the city where she originally purchased the tires. The tire with the nail still held air and never went flat. The tire shop said the tire was more than 5 years old and therefore could not be repaired. She spent over $1000 on a new set of tires. Then I found a similar story on-line in the link below:

Why Many Tire Shops Won't Repair Older Tires

Those tire failures were from idiots not checking tire pressure.

Another example of government sticking it's big nose where it doesn't need to be.

Idiotic.

Litigious society. No one wants to get sued for a dry rot blow out 5 miles after they leave a tire repair shop....Of course '5 year dry' rot is a tire manufacturer derived formula that is designed to limit most any case of tire deterioration. Generally everything is under rated these days for that same reason. Jacks, chain, tire life.....
Now its up to you to go back and buy those "used" tires for a dime on the dollar including the one with the nail in it thats in that stack of tires out back.

Yes, I gave up on getting a flat fixed for my pickup after trying three tire shops. They all gave me the story that they can't repair a tire more than six years old. The tire I wanted fixed was on my 2009 Ram 1500. OEM tire but over half the year I run Blizzaks so the tread is still plenty good. I had to take it home and plug and patch it with my Harbor Freight tire repair stand.

Those tire failures were from idiots not checking tire pressure.

Another example of government sticking it's big nose where it doesn't need to be.

Idiotic.

I don't think so, at least not with Michelins. Lemmie splain, Lucy. Michelin tires have VERY long lasting treads. So long in fact, that the tread outlasts the tire carcass' useful lifespan.

In other words, there is a great probability that the tire will separate before the tread wears out. I was on my way to work on Mother's day 2016 when my left front tire exploded. Yes, I had a set of older Michelin tires. The tread was great, but the sidewalls had minute cracking. Being in the tire business several years, I knew they were dangerous, but hoped they would last a little longer. They did not.

I would be leery of Michelins especially after one has been violated.

My Dad and I have been wearing out sets of Michelins for 40 years and still alive to talk about it. Guess we have dedicated guardian angels?

I don't think so, at least not with Michelins. Lemmie splain, Lucy. Michelin tires have VERY long lasting treads. So long in fact, that the tread outlasts the tire carcass' useful lifespan.

In other words, there is a great probability that the tire will separate before the tread wears out. I was on my way to work on Mother's day 2016 when my left front tire exploded. Yes, I had a set of older Michelin tires. The tread was great, but the sidewalls had minute cracking. Being in the tire business several years, I knew they were dangerous, but hoped they would last a little longer. They did not.

The article was referencing the tire failures that Firestone was having back a decade or so ago.

The article was referencing the tire failures that Firestone was having back a decade or so ago.

Good for the article. I was talkin about Michlens, not Firestones. Anybody whose spent any time at all in the tire business knows Firestone ain't ever made a tire worth a crap.

funny, i just spend the last hour or so replacing a flat tire on my sister in laws van
(technically, she aint even my sister in law, she my wifes sister in law, whatever that makes her to me)

anyway, it had a screw in it too
i told her to take it in and get it fixed, we'll see what they say

rotating and keeping the pressure right is the key to a tire lasting.

the only way I can see a sidewall letting go before the tread is worn out (on a daily driver) is if the tire is run low, which quickly weakens/damages the sidewall.

I run Michelins on my Truck.... And my Barracuda.... And our Acura TSX... And my BMW 650 Dakar..... And my KTM 300..

Hell, I've had people come to the shop and replace tires because they weren't black enough.
I **** you not, I had a lady come in and wanted blue tires! She saw the blue protectorate on the white walls and she was upset that we cleaned it off before giving the car back.

I read the article.... Tire stores and car
manufactures just want to sell more tires.
I have been in the car biz for over 30 years and I see this crap all the time.
Things like this create their own reality!

Welcome to the new world.... Politics, religion, business.... Nobody has any integrity anymore.

The contractor my father worked for in the early 70s, specializing in Interstate highways, bought their own tire shop for the company trucks and equipment. Everything had Michelins. Radials were in their infancy then as far as I knew at 14 yrs old. Dad's truck goes to the shop to get a new set of Michelins. Life is good? Right? About a month later on his way home from work far far away the left rear, for lack of a better word, grenaded. About destroyed that corner of the bed when it came apart, even killed the tail light. The other 3 were just happy as pigs in poop for 70K miles :rofl:

We had a customer get her car towed in with a flat 24hrs after she bought the car. Had a 9/16 wrench go righ thru the center of the tread into the tire! Would never have believed it if I hadnt seen it myself!

Most tire companies say to replace the tires at five years regardless of the condition of tread or sidewall.
I thought Michelin was the only one that says to replace at ten years.
I think the materials of current tires is vastly different than fifty years ago (just like car batteries).
In other words after five years (ten for Michelin) I don't trust them.

**** my tires never last 5 + years...

i don't see the problem.. ya don't like a shops policy (there to protect them) then find another shop or plug it yourself. then you can be on the hook if someone is killed because that old tire blows and causes an accident..

Tires are date stamped and do get dryrot and outgasing over time but 5 yrs is way premature unless they have been sitting in the desert sun continously. Low tire pressure is the main cause of tire failure.

I do pay attention to the production date on my dirtbike tires but that is because the knobs will start chunking if the rubber dries out. Not because it will go flat.

RRR, I've been told that Michelins get their ride quality by using real soft sidewalls. I went thru 2 sets on my Mini-Van before changing them all due to excessive side wall cracks.I was very diligent about keeping the air pressure correct. Was someone blowing smoke up my *** or there something there ?[/QUOTE]

Good for the article. I was talkin about Michlens, not Firestones. Anybody whose spent any time at all in the tire business knows Firestone ain't ever made a tire worth a crap.

Always had good luck with Firestone Slicks on our Drag Car but their street tires weren't worthy of a Go- Kart.

There was a recall on Michelins because of the sidewall cracking! Nella's van had Michelins on it that were about 3 years old and had under 30k miles on them! Took the van to my tire guy because we were going on a long trip and pulling the camper, and I didn't like the small cracks on there! He warrantied the entire set, even the spare, due to the recall!! Got a new set of tires for free outta that deal!! It does help that his store is the #1 Discount Tire store in the nation, and he's been there since we were in high school!!

-
Back