Why a relative replaced some perfectly good Michelin Tires?

-
I don't think so, at least not with Michelins. Lemmie splain, Lucy. Michelin tires have VERY long lasting treads. So long in fact, that the tread outlasts the tire carcass' useful lifespan.

In other words, there is a great probability that the tire will separate before the tread wears out. I was on my way to work on Mother's day 2016 when my left front tire exploded. Yes, I had a set of older Michelin tires. The tread was great, but the sidewalls had minute cracking. Being in the tire business several years, I knew they were dangerous, but hoped they would last a little longer. They did not.

I would be leery of Michelins especially after one has been violated.
Back when I was Manager of a Consumer Tire Auto Center in Hawaii, we would see failed Michelin all the time. On the island, they never got many miles and age eventually made them fail. We used to say that 'Michelin' was a French word meaning "exploding tire".

my Cadillac mechanic friend had a lady come in and demand they get the tire valves rotating in sync. He did with a wink, told her to drive out around a corner to the cashier and check them again...
Doh! She never came back for an adjustment....

....Includes RoadHandler T Plus tires, made for Sears by Michelin (shown). With a 6-year unlimited mileage Tread Wearout Warranty*. #51000 series. Weatherwise'“ tires, made for Sears by Michelin (not shown), are backed by a 120,000 Tread Wearout Warranty*....

I remember the 721 radial in the 70`s was bad for shifting a belt.

"7 around two wrapped by 1" Those tires were total crap. How Firestone hasn't gone out of business is anybody's guess. "I guess" their ties with racing are that strong.

My brother in law used to be some kinda big shot for Goodyear. He would go to all the plants (worldwide) and QC the molds. He said on a couple occasions, after fine tuning a mold or testing a new one, some of his superiors would say "That's as good as a Michelin"

"7 around two wrapped by 1" Those tires were total crap. How Firestone hasn't gone out of business is anybody's guess. "I guess" their ties with racing are that strong.

Back when I worked at tire shops we used say that the only redeeming quality of Firestone was that they were black, round, and had a hole in the middle.

The tire companies must be doing something right. Don't see as many cars on the side of the road with flats these days.

I've been running Bfg's for many years now. Have have great luck with them. Some people love em others hate em I've been fine with them. Now my next set may try Cooper tires. Not sure we'll see!

I've been running Bfg's for many years now. Have have great luck with them. Some people love em others hate em I've been fine with them. Now my next set may try Cooper tires. Not sure we'll see!
I have had good luck with the Cooper Cobra tires.

I have had good luck with the Cooper Cobra tires.

The tire of choice for most of the hobby stock circle trackers in this neighborhood. They have trouble keeping them on the beads for some odd reason. :wtf: Could be there competitors that never lernt when race cars touch ... bad things happen :mad:

You forgot the Firestone 500's, and it's simple, they had an exclusive forged in history deal to supply Ford with all of it's OE tires.......................................

You forgot the Firestone 500's, and it's simple, they had an exclusive forged in history deal to supply Ford with all of it's OE tires.......................................

Yeah and I wonder how many lives that cost?

She found a nail in a tire (tread area) on a road trip to the city where she originally purchased the tires. The tire with the nail still held air and never went flat. The tire shop said the tire was more than 5 years old and therefore could not be repaired. She spent over $1000 on a new set of tires. Then I found a similar story on-line in the link below:

Why Many Tire Shops Won't Repair Older Tires
First, She CHOSE to spend $1K on a set of tires, She didn't HAVE to.
Second, ever operate a tire shop? As an Owner? The shop did the right thing even if it sounds jerky and unreasonable to older gearheads. We have to throw out brand new
tires at the dealership when they reach 6yrs. old, never mounted, never seen 1 foot of roll. Our dealer has a policy of only using a patch/plug style repair, and only if it is in
the center rows out to the last rain-grooves, otherwise, We sell a tire. Don't preach to Me about anal retentive practices, I've run tires w/a string/cord plug in a sidewall,
but that's My personal ride and I'm not "Aunt Tilley". No professional business will open themselves up to an un-necessary liability after said vehicle ends up in an accident
whether or not it had anything to contribute to such.

So if a shop sells a set of new tires that were manufactured five years ago, does the purchaser drive around the block once and purchase another set freshly manufactured tires, or does the purchaser drive around on the "new" five year old tires for five more years and then look for a new set? This is getting confusing.

It all goes back to city driving and highway driving.
My Wife puts 5000 miles on her Jeep Compass every year.and it's 3 years old.
And the local Car-X dealer says she needs new tires for the winter. hahaha.
What a joke.fuckstix

I bought an nice CJ-5 a few years back, my wife showed it to me and said that was pretty, her birthday was coming up soon, so we went and looked at it, nice jeep, clean, nice paint ran ok.
Bought it for her.
We together did some minor repairs, and to this day she loves that old jeep for a summer toy.
One day I told her, we need to put new tires on it.
She gave me the deer in the headlight look and said why, the tires have good tread, drive fine.
I said the sidewalls are starting to crack, I could find no date code on the tires, but I did see a paint code sticker inside the glove box that it was painted at a high-end shop in 1994.
I would say the tires were from around the same time, this was just last year we put new tires on the Jeep, a blow out on that would result in a roll over if running at any type of speed.

I gave the tires to a co-worker because his jeep needed tires bad, they slowly starting blowing out on him, one by one.
I warned him, but 3/4 tread free tires, when you need them looks like a good deal, but I told him the story on why I replaced the tires.

Then perhaps the California Vehicle Code needs updating, I can't find anything regarding tire age, just tread depth (section 34500 would refer to trucks, buses, etc):

(a) No dealer or person holding a retail seller’s permit shall sell, offer for sale, expose for sale, or install on a vehicle axle for use on a highway, a pneumatic tire when the tire has less than the tread depth specified in subdivision (b). This subdivision does not apply to any person who installs on a vehicle, as part of an emergency service rendered to a disabled vehicle upon a highway, a spare tire with which the disabled vehicle was equipped.

(b) No person shall use on a highway a pneumatic tire on a vehicle axle when the tire has less than the following tread depth, except when temporarily installed on a disabled vehicle as specified in subdivision (a):

(1) One thirty-second (1/32) of an inch tread depth in any two adjacent grooves at any location of the tire, except as provided in paragraphs (2) and (3).

(2) Four thirty-second (4/32) of an inch tread depth at all points in all major grooves on a tire on the steering axle of any motor vehicle specified in Section 34500, and two thirty-second (2/32) of an inch tread depth at all points in all major grooves on all other tires on the axles of these vehicles.

(3) Six thirty-second (6/32) of an inch tread depth at all points in all major grooves on snow tires used in lieu of tire traction devices in posted tire traction device control areas.

(c) The measurement of tread depth shall not be made where tie bars, humps, or fillets are located.

(d) The requirements of this section shall not apply to implements of husbandry.

(e) The department, if it determines that such action is appropriate and in keeping with reasonable safety requirements, may adopt regulations establishing more stringent tread depth requirements than those specified in this section for those vehicles defined in Sections 322 and 545, and may adopt regulations establishing tread depth requirements different from those specified in this section for those vehicles listed in Section 34500.

I bought dunlop rvxt tires,less than a year they were cracking, went back to the retailer, they they all do that. Didnt warranty them. 13 years ago,they havent got any worse. Half worn.
Lots of michelin users around here.
The 5 year thing, thats new to me.

[QUOTE="Tooljunkie, post: 1971905382,
The 5 year thing, thats new to me.[/QUOTE]

Been a big topic on all the RV Sites for a few years now

But most RV spend most of their life time sitting.

It would be enlightening for us all to see these laws, regulations, policies in writing regarding the sale, repair, and installation of "older" tires. If it can't be found in print, then it is just a bunch of hot air. That is why I began by publishing above the vehicle code quote.

Actually I was a certified annual safety inspector for the state of WV years ago.
1/32 of tread in every groove of the tire.
No dry rot cracking in the sidewalls.

-
Back