Why a relative replaced some perfectly good Michelin Tires?

-
I wonder if this internet page is outdated?
West Virginia Lift Laws | Vehicle Modification Rules

west virginia.png

So if a shop sells a set of new tires that were manufactured five years ago, does the purchaser drive around the block once and purchase another set freshly manufactured tires, or does the purchaser drive around on the "new" five year old tires for five more years and then look for a new set? This is getting confusing.
I've posted this in other threads, but all the same, there is a sound reason for this. A tire
that passes 6yrs. old & then is sold will have an "average mileage" life expectancy that will
exceed the safe operating window of the polymers that it is constructed of, hence at that point
they don't want them to be sold. It's like everything else, operating/storage conditions and
driver habits can decrease the life a perfectly good fresh tire, most of us wear them out long
before they degrade. However, there are a lot of different brands that have shown a high amt.
of breakdown per mileage & time recently, formulae differ tire mfr.& model/line within as well.
As far as vehicle codes go, every state is different, and I can tell You for a fact it's not always
up to speed, relevant, or even informed sometimes. Sometimes the rules are changed just
based on the amount of complaining from constituents rather than studies, science, or facts.
Rusty rotors, cracked windshields, window tint, rusted brake lines, blown-out protective boots
of all types, etc., etc., have all been revised repeatedly mostly based on complaints, nothing
else.....................................

The Michelin Man web address statement makes the most sense to me:
Do I need new tires? | When to change tires | Michelin US

Here's what it says:
What are the basics?
There is no way to tell exactly how long a tire lasts. The lifespan and mileage of a tire depends of a combination of factors: its design, the driver’s habits, the climate, the road conditions and the care that's put into the tires.

A few milestones and tips:
1- Keep five years in mind

After five years or more in use, your tires should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year by a professional.

2- Ten years is a maximum
If the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.
This applies to spare tires as well.

3- Proper care expands a tire’s lifespan
You can increase your tire's longevity by maintaining the correct air pressure, performing regular tire rotations and vehicle maintenance.

Check our Scheduled care tips
For original equipment: follow the vehicle manufacturer’s tire replacement recommendations.

The Michelin Man web address statement makes the most sense to me:
Do I need new tires? | When to change tires | Michelin US

Here's what it says:
What are the basics?
There is no way to tell exactly how long a tire lasts. The lifespan and mileage of a tire depends of a combination of factors: its design, the driver’s habits, the climate, the road conditions and the care that's put into the tires.

A few milestones and tips:
1- Keep five years in mind

After five years or more in use, your tires should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year by a professional.

2- Ten years is a maximum
If the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator.
This applies to spare tires as well.

3- Proper care expands a tire’s lifespan
You can increase your tire's longevity by maintaining the correct air pressure, performing regular tire rotations and vehicle maintenance.

Check our Scheduled care tips
For original equipment: follow the vehicle manufacturer’s tire replacement recommendations.
And that is pretty much on the nuggets..................................keep them in the shade whenever possible is a certain goal towards their longevity.....................

14248-2ba61aaba56656e240a23c92c1e2ba4d.jpg
IMG_0608.JPG

I've had all sorts of tires and I can say, I've never had extreme sidewall cracks until I had Michelin's. 4X2 LongBed MegaCab, all 4 tires had sidewall cracks , you could literally peel chunks of rubber off with your finger, exposing the steel belts..... I will however have to say, treadwear was great!!!! No joke, I drive hard and the tread wear was almost non existent.

Had bad sidewall cracking issues on Goodyears. Never buy that brand again. Now have Michelins, and had to have a patch after 4 years of use. Tire place warned that the sidewalls were starting to show cracks.

Now I read this stuff on tire places not servicing older tires...

Guess buying tires with 60000-90000 mile treadwear warranties is pointless unless you use it as a taxi or something.

I don't think so, at least not with Michelins. Lemmie splain, Lucy. Michelin tires have VERY long lasting treads. So long in fact, that the tread outlasts the tire carcass' useful lifespan.

In other words, there is a great probability that the tire will separate before the tread wears out. I was on my way to work on Mother's day 2016 when my left front tire exploded. Yes, I had a set of older Michelin tires. The tread was great, but the sidewalls had minute cracking. Being in the tire business several years, I knew they were dangerous, but hoped they would last a little longer. They did not.

I would be leery of Michelins especially after one has been violated.

I don't think so, at least not with Michelins. Lemmie splain, Lucy. Michelin tires have VERY long lasting treads. So long in fact, that the tread outlasts the tire carcass' useful lifespan.

In other words, there is a great probability that the tire will separate before the tread wears out. I was on my way to work on Mother's day 2016 when my left front tire exploded. Yes, I had a set of older Michelin tires. The tread was great, but the sidewalls had minute cracking. Being in the tire business several years, I knew they were dangerous, but hoped they would last a little longer. They did not.

I would be leery of Michelins especially after one has been violated.
Lol Nice RRR
Good to know that someone thinks like me (Lemmie splain, Lucy). I use that on my wife all the time. She is a redhead and I sometimes call her Lucy. I will also at times when I come through the door and shout "Hey Lucy, I'm home"

But most RV spend most of their life time sitting.

That's actually harder on them than rolling down the road. Just sitting they will dry rot faster,rolling the chemicals in the rubber get's activated and they don't dry out quite as fast.I knew a Rv friend that would not buy a tire any older than 6 months from the Mfg date.

On my camper a good friend is a tire guy, he said instead of letting them sit on bare concrete, to park the tires up on a 2x12 and use tire covers to protect from the sunlight.

"7 around two wrapped by 1" Those tires were total crap. How Firestone hasn't gone out of business is anybody's guess. "I guess" their ties with racing are that strong.
Firestone DID go out of business after the Ford Exploder debacle..... they went into receivership, and were bought by Bridgestone (from Japan).

I've been running Bfg's for many years now. Have have great luck with them. Some people love em others hate em I've been fine with them. Now my next set may try Cooper tires. Not sure we'll see!
FWIW.... BFG has been owned by owned by Michelin for at least 10 years.

Cooper is in Findlay OH. They are mid-pack tires, IMHO. Looong ago, I rallied on their old bias-ply Weathermasters however.... we called them 'rock crushers' LOL

I remember this commercial.
My grandpa actually went and bought a set of these for his Nova because of it.

This is a very interesting and debatable topic. 2 separate topics, age and location of damage. The common thread being safety and government control of what is deemed safe. In my opinion, government tire lobbyist have steered the legislation in such a way as to deem most any tire irreparable. I'm torn, because I'm old school and yet I like safe roadways as well. I feel like if I have a screw within 1" of the sidewall I'd like to still be able to get it repaired. Nobody, big retailer, will do this anymore. I want to be safe, but I've had many a tire in this condition over the years, and getting a plug or repair has never been a problem. But the tire companies want to sell more tires. Walmart won't even sell you 2 tires at a time anymore. Government and retail restrictions. Fortunately I have a tire guy who is old school. He was taught by an old timer to "do as the customer asks." So he'll plug a tire for me that has a screw within 1" of the sidewall. Now I'm not a young street racer or real race car driver. So my situation might be different, but seems a shame that people have to buy a new set of tires for something unnecessary in reality. Too much government, too much corporate greed. Thanks

The other factor is daily driving. After the wife wore her Michelins on the 2001 Cherokee almost bald, we put on a new set. I took the "bald" tires and put them on our back-up car (1992 Cherokee) which had tires with tread but they were over 10 years old.

The back-up car is only driven around town on errands once in awhile (in dry weather). I don't consider it a danger putting around at 25-35 mph. It seems I'm not alone, many Mexicans here run tires until there is no visible tread. Not the safest practice, but many get by doing it.

I find there is an overflow in Mexico of two types of businesses-pharmacies and tire shops. Seems to be one or the other on every street corner around here. The guys in the mom and pop tire shops sit around all day waiting for a customer. Not only will they not turn away a flat repair, they do it right with a patch on the inside for about $50 pesos (at current exchange rate that is $3.00 usd).

Last edited:
And we all know. Those other 3 "good" tires from that 4 tire set they shamed us into buying were resold. In California you even have to pay a "recycling" fee for the replaced tires. On the other hand, many freight trucks run on recaps. 80K pounds in CA on recaps and they get all nutted up over 4K pound SUV on a patched/plugged tire. Well, I guess lawyers have to work too. Excuse my rant please.

The Firestone-Ford Exploder situation led us to where we are today, IMHO; everyone scared of a lawsuit. In that case, a largish SUV had not-so-large tires for the weight involved, and careless, or unknowing drivers ran them low on air, and the wrecks resulted. Now fear of litigation is trumping good sense and good practices.

I recently had a pair of new tires installed on my main 3/4 ton truck and the tire dealer pumped all 4 tires (2 new, 2 old) all the way up to 80 psi before finishing. I just rolled my eyes, went around the corner, and lowered the pressures to where I have run them for about half a million miles, towing 4-6 tons most of the time. And then I ignore the dash warning display, like I have for the 43k miles since buying the truck. The tires have not changed, nor have the safe pressures.

The Firestone-Ford Exploder situation led us to where we are today, IMHO; everyone scared of a lawsuit. In that case, a largish SUV had not-so-large tires for the weight involved, and careless, or unknowing drivers ran them low on air, and the wrecks resulted. Now fear of litigation is trumping good sense and good practices.

I recently had a pair of new tires installed on my main 3/4 ton truck and the tire dealer pumped all 4 tires (2 new, 2 old) all the way up to 80 psi before finishing. I just rolled my eyes, went around the corner, and lowered the pressures to where I have run them for about half a million miles, towing 4-6 tons most of the time. And then I ignore the dash warning display, like I have for the 43k miles since buying the truck. The tires have not changed, nor have the safe pressures.
Add to this that the owners of the "SUV" took the S to the extreme of Sport and drove them like a Corvette. :wtf: They're pickups with permanent camper shells. The earlier models anyway

I just bead blasted and powder coated a wheel from my '64 Valiant and remounted the 13" tire. The tire has been on the car in my shop when not driven and only has a few hundred miles on it since I bought it. It looks brand new. No visible deterioration at all. I took it to two shops to be balanced and neither would touch it as the date code was beyond what they are allowed to service. I was told at both places that they are not even allowed to put air in a tire that is over ten yers old. The only way they can even touch them is to remove them for disposal. One of the shops told me it is federal law and the other shop pointed me to a laminated card on the service counter. When I asked who gives their shop that direction he said that there is a tire manufactring group that they must belong to which sets standards for their shop in order for them to purchase the tires they sell. He gave me a copy of the card which he claims is provided by the "association" and not the tire chain.
WhenToReplacYourTires.jpg

I did take the tire to an individual service shop who balanced it. He did say he is getting pressure from a couple of his tire distributers, which is passed down from the manufacturers, to not service tires older than six years but he keeps ignoring them and they keep providing tires.

Last edited:
Never really heard of such a thing, will scan the tire stewardsip board and see if there is mention of anything like that here in canada.
If the manufacturer is mandating
This policy, then perhaps they should start a program that recovers 10 year old barely worn tires,at least offers a rebate of sorts. If safety is job one,then it would be in their best interest to
Replace the tires at a reduced cost to the consumer.
My mom drives less than 300 miles per year, car is garaged when not in use. 3000 miles is like zero wear.

Last edited:
Well, how about grinding off the date codes? What would they do then? This stuff is getting pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Probably already been said , learn to plug a tire. You can do it with the tire on the car even in most cases in under 2 min.
Keep a kit in your glove box, every parts store has a cheap o section of roadside bits and tools...you'll find one there.

Other thing about old tires, mainly used tires that look glossy n new. You never know which direction the tire originally road all it's previous milege , neither does the tire jockey ..so the tire goes on, wrong direction and shortly down the road it bubbles and or tread separates and you get a vibration, perhaps in the steering wheel and wonder "hey I just got a tire that looked bitchin with fresh balance, wth ?!"

Never spend more than 40 bucks on a used tire unless you really know who owned them and how they came. New tires can be real cheap, too cheap to buy 50 dollar used.

-
Back