why is it so difficult to ship things to our neighbors?

-

shafer

Reaction score
Thanks for the opportunity to sell some extra parts on this site. But to those who are new to shipping which i am selling parts out of the 50 states can come with red tape.
here is my story
i posted some interior parts for sale and sold some to a person in canada.
no problem . i checked the cost and we agreed on a price. Everyone is happy. Well when the funds came i went to the post office to find out that prices have increased due to $4 gas. not working here, went to a fedex hub and they can not ship the parts because of numbers and letters in the zip code- well they then said they could sent via air for $300 ouch, this was a $35 transaction. Well i almost sent back the money but a very nice lady at a ups store helpped me. i am gratful to her. i was able to fulfil my end of the deal. The parts go through customs and the guy from canada got his notice from ups only to find he has to pay some kind of duty before he can get his parts. why is this? Canada is our freinds so why are there so much hoops to cross before a customer in canada gets what he or she ordered. This isnt fair! the parts dont even have to cross any oceans, what is the difference in shipping to buffaloe ny and that town in canada on the otherside of niagra falls < 10 miles separate them.
sorry for ranting , have any others experienced this?

Ya. Your not the only one. There has been a few threads about this over the years. One not long ago.

Some one just needs to get out there and erase that line on the map.

As posted in a recent thread,the best way and cheapest is to ship USPS to Canada.I,ve also noticed that these shipping company,s need to edumacate there new employees on shipping International,not just States side.The big companies are theives!Rant over.LOL

I just payed 98 effing dollars to have a driveshaft I had made in canada shipped to me from maybe an hour away. Why? because I am sick and tired of the border thuggery horse ****.

It would be nice to be treated like an American instead of them looking at everyone like they have balloons full of cocaine shoved up their asses.

There is a problem for sure with this. I still cant believe you can send items to and from the U.S.A or Canada through the post office with no extra fees......IE Brokerage fees.:wack: So why if you get something through a Shipping Co. do you have this charge....United States or Canada.........Makes no sense just makes money in there pocket.It sucks but sometimes you have no choice.Im glad all worked out for you Shaffer.............Im sure the person on the other end is gratefull to get his parts regardless of a extra charge...Even if it was a surprise........

The other irritating thing(s) is the really poor tracking on USPS, and nearly NO tracking once it crosses into Canada

Some time ago I won a nice IFR service monitor on the bay. Made arrangments, sent U.S. Postal money order by registered insured mail

The payment just plain disappeared somewhere in Canada I did file for --and got-- refund on my money orders

MONTHS LATER here comes the envelope --unopened-- with the original money orders inside AND THE CORRECT DELIVERY ADDRESS on the envelope.

The radio amateur up there thinks I lied and I think he's playing games. Not the way to promote international relations.

The problem of shipping with UPS is that everything goes through there brokerage house. I bought some trim pieces from AZ and they sent it by UPS and had to pay 69.00 in fees, for a 90.00 part plus shipping. If it is shipped by truck as a LTL shipment it also has to go through a brokerage house, but the fee is minimal. If you send it by USPS and Canada post(if possible) you don't have to pay any fees. used auto parts are duty free so all you should have to pay is HST (if comming to Ontario).
My rant is over

Ya. Your not the only one. There has been a few threads about this over the years. One not long ago.

Some one just needs to get out there and erase that line on the map.

Ha ha ha, yea, well, I'd be OK with that. I haven't met a Canadaian (SP!?) I didn't like yet. (Fingers crossed!)

That crap about shipping stuff across that imaginary line drives me nutz and is sooooo worng it's stupid!

went to a fedex hub and they can not ship the parts because of numbers and letters in the zip code

Bull. I send parts in both directions across the US/Canada border all the time via FedEx Ground service (no, it doesnt' cost $300). They're perfectly capable of it; either the counter staff at the FedEx hub didn't understand you or you didn't understand him or her.

a very nice lady at a ups store helpped me. i am gratful to her

Bad decision on your part. Your buyer is complaining for a good reason: UPS charges extortionate "brokerage fees" to the recipient of packages sent from the US to Canada. This is not the Canadian government's fault, it's UPS' greed, pure and simple. The reason your buyer specified shipping by the post office is because Canada Post doesn't engage in this kind of moneygrubbing. You should've used the post office as you and your buyer agreed.

Bull. I send parts in both directions across the US/Canada border all the time via FedEx Ground service (no, it doesnt' cost $300). They're perfectly capable of it; either the counter staff at the FedEx hub didn't understand you or you didn't understand him or her.

Bad decision on your part. Your buyer is complaining for a good reason: UPS charges extortionate "brokerage fees" to the recipient of packages sent from the US to Canada. This is not the Canadian government's fault, it's UPS' greed, pure and simple. The reason your buyer specified shipping by the post office is because Canada Post doesn't engage in this kind of moneygrubbing. You should've used the post office as you and your buyer agreed.

perhaps the guys at fed ex just didnt feel like being bothered filling out the paper work and made stuff up so the customer didnt want to send it through them.

Seems like your jumping on the OP.

she claimed that the computer could not read the zip code
plus i was an idiot - i had never shipped out of country before- this was a learning experience

NEVER have things shipped via anything but usps. Fedex and ups etc always have this "brokerage fee",which the shippee gets whammed with. And you dont get your parcel unless you pay.

And the canadian will pay tax on whatver you send unless they dont declare it.Dont reccomend that as theres a heap of trouble waiting down that road. The Canadian will pay tax based on value,not what he paid for it. So too bad if you get a great deal;you still paying full taxes.Even if you show a reciept showing you paid 1/2 full value it doesnt matter.

Leanna is sending a set of valve covers soon. Im gonna get raped by my govt on them Im sure...

"why is it so difficult to ship things to our neighbors?"

Avarice.

our company ships worldwide. there is less paperwork to ship to the United Arimus than to Canada. and even after everything was done, it was still held at the border and more info had to be faxed so they would release the order.

Ok Im gonna chime in as I usually do on shipping nonsense. I have both bought and sold on here and the #1 thing is communication between buyer and seller. There has to be a mutual agreement as to how parts are to be shipped. Best choice is via our Post Offices. Broker fees are less and I mean waaaayyyy less thru our post offices. There is no need to use a courier at all, unless parts are oversized. Up here I think if the part is longer than 3 feet they wont take it. As for the numbers/letters for postal codes up here, I realize it can get confusing whether the "I" is an "I" or a "one" same with an "O" is it a "zero" or an "O". Our postal codes go like this..letter,number,letter,number, letter, number. So for Lakefield our postal code is K0L2H0 both the "0" are zeros, when ya go to the PO or courier if they punch it in as the letter "O" their computer system wont recognize it. Up here in the great white north, it always alternates letter number letter number letter number. HOpe this helps. And every single courier is gonna screw you either way!!

why?

because few old nuts decide they need to value there job
and decide to piss people off(us)

Im tired to pay all kind of taxes but no choice

nest month we will paye 1% more in provincial taxes this will
get it to 9.5% + 5% in gst (federal) taxes so...
and ya 1cent more in gas taxes this will get the gas to 1.279 per liter

and for usps shiping yes sometime we dont pay for the duty fees
sometime we pay for it I dont know why and one of my friend
working at the post office doesnt understand either

Have shipped numerous packages to Canada.... the only way to go is Postal Service. It keeps the fees down on the Canadian side and its pretty simple to fill out a customs form. Just go to the post office and get a quote to ship the item. Thats about it.

-RPM

RPM is correct,I sell a lot of parts on ebay to lots of foreign countries.usps is the way to go,plus they include insurance,and tracking in the postage price.paper work is minimal.

.............All parts 4 "ANTIQUE" vehicals , new or used R tax free................kim........also get the shipper to print off a pay pal shipping label............p/p will b able 2 track it 4 u.........kim........

... Leanna is sending a set of valve covers soon. Im gonna get raped by my govt on them Im sure...

Paul, the latest tracking info says they arrived in Portland at 4:00 this afternoon so they're getting closer! :-D Hopefully the customs guys won't treat you too harshly.

12% hst. I guess they dont qualify as vintage parts...

If you want to show them a "before" pic I'm sure they'll change their mind on that vintage status. LMAO

What's hst?

Harmonised sales tax. Very unpopular recent tax that taxes a much broader spectrum of things. All I know is we have less money than ever before.

Hey if you have before pics send em! I'll try it. They may be vintage after all.

Everyone on both sides of the border has to be realistic inregards to the timeline required when receiving items via the post office by regular ground delivery. Keep in mind it needs to past through three sets of hands Canada Post, Border customs and U.S.P.S or vise-versa, patience is in order when using this method.

-
Back