Why is it so hard to buy parts from people

-

Thomas Dennis

Reaction score
Trying to purchase parts from people on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace is so difficult. You can't get them to respond but adds say if add is up part is still for sale. Even when you can get someone to respond and setup a day and time to go to purchase the parts you can't get them to give you an address or a place to meetup so you can purchase these parts. But the parts are still for sale.

Trying to purchase parts from people on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace is so difficult. You can't get them to respond but adds say if add is up part is still for sale. Even when you can get someone to respond and setup a day and time to go to purchase the parts you can't get them to give you an address or a place to meetup so you can purchase these parts. But the parts are still for sale.

Marketplace sucks as a general rule (as do all things Meta (aka FB)). I have had good success and responsiveness through eBay... and eBay motors. Maybe because they are "car" people as opposed to someone just throwing an item into the cyber ether. Dunno

I need a phone call. Period. I've already been on a couple goose chases from emails, whatever, only to "get there" and no place, wrong place, or nobody home. AND I GO ARMED

Yesterday when I scored the HVAC manifold/ gauges I thought "it was gonna be another one." Sent an message, as usual, explaining "this is my laptop, my phone is not smart, please VOICE call" No response. 4 hours later, I went "hello, anybody" and I get "yes I still have it." Well that is not what I ASKED you. So I told him to call, and he turned out to be a nice guy. I've no idea WTF the problem is "at that end."

85% of people are either an idiot or an asshole.

There's a very special cross section that are both.

Doesn't leave much room for sane, rational people to deal with.

For sell

Must sale

my lost, your gain

1 pic of the open driver's door area, none of entire car - but - "no time for 20 questions"

No title, easy to get

At least with Facebook, I know marketplace is trash. I sold a motorcycle through marketplace. Potential buyers messages did NOT give me any notification the way a chat does.
I had to check manually. Sometimes I'd get some sort of notification from FB, but rarely.
Same after I'd respond: they would write back and there would be no way for me to know they responded if I didn't manually check. Really sucked.
FB also often edits out emails, phone numbers, etc automatically for "safety". I can post all kinds of terrorist propaganda there, but not the phone number that every Nigerian and "warranty center" calls at all hours of the day. Go figure.

How was your FABO experience?

Actually just talking to my buddy about the exact same issues. I have bought alot of stuff from Marketplace ( Craigslist is basically dead in my area now) the past few years, but all of a sudden, it's like pulling teeth to get any info from these knuckleheads. I am not going to f-in beg you to sell me something.

Had a deal happen to me while in Florida this Winter.

Visiting Florida for the Winter and Minnesota is my home base, same with my cell phone Minnesota area code number.

Texted the guy 30 miles away in Florida said I would like to come by and purchase your item for sale. When is a good time and day.

His response, yeah sure come by. That was it.

These type of responses went on about 4 times, no address, no meet time. Then I thought the hell with it.

Being a legitimate buyer with cash in hand. The only thing I can think of is my out state area code on my cell phone, him thinking it was some type of scammer call and stringing me along.

Pretty stupid, he missed out on an easy sale by not knowing the facts.

There are good people to deal with, and there is also no shortage of idiots.

Call is good, then you can kind of feel out what type of person they are.

The craigslist golden rule: trust no one until they have proven themselves trustworthy.

# 2. These people will tell you anything, to turn what they are selling into spendable Cash.

Good luck, have had more good experiences on craigslist than bad.

Things are heading to the bad area now with how screwed up the world is and people being unethical and all.

Had a deal happen to me while in Florida this Winter.

Visiting Florida for the Winter and Minnesota is my home base, same with my cell phone Minnesota area code number.

Texted the guy 30 miles away in Florida said I would like to come by and purchase your item for sale. When is a good time and day.

His response, yeah sure come by. That was it.

If you didn't say, "I'm in FL on vacation right near you in (Insert city)." Then the assumption is scammer from the seller.

Should have laid it out better if you didn't. Communication... JMO

People don't think to ask or say, "sure when you coming down from Minn", which would have been my response. Cut the extra out being proactive.

I haven’t advertised on Craigslist for at least 8 years. Facebook marketplace and racing groups on Facebook is my go place. Write up an ad with all the needed info, lots of pictures, ability to share ad in up to 20 groups with a few clicks, and you are set to go. I laugh at how some guys post up ads and then one or two pictures from a 20 year old flip phone and the want 90% of the price they paid for it new, plus shipping. Lol.

85% of people are either an idiot or an asshole.

There's a very special cross section that are both.

Doesn't leave much room for sane, rational people to deal with.
This right here ^^^^^^ sums it up, PLUS the "other" leftover percentage are thieves and criminals trying to do you harm.

That's not just CL, that's one part of my general life's philosophy.

I guard my cell phone number carefully and understand guarding my address.

NO WAY do I give out my phone number until I know if I'm going to deal with a person or not.

I don't understand why people have a problem with CL's encrypted email, or why they don't understand that they can answer email at their convenience.

I have the problem of not getting any response from my ads.
I keep the price reasonable, and I'm flexible on price, but no interest. I had the same experience here, and at the Florida Mopar show. Nothing but lookers, and cheapskates. Advertised some trim for sale, for years.
I finally took it to the recycler.

People always talk about craigslist flakes but that's always assumed that it's the people buying stuff.. it's the same with people selling stuff... I don't go to marketplace too much or I guess it's Facebook I use my wife's phone for that but I find no difference.. generally I find the same exact stuff for sale on both..
On craigslist I generally asked to have them email me a phone number and a name and that right there weeds out many many flakes...
The recently put a vehicle for sale and had the fifth guy in line ask if he could be put first giving me the old my son would like it also and I don't have a vehicle line...
Needless to say that took him completely out of the running...
Personally I just took near two tons to the scrap yard last month and at least 80% of it could have been sold but dealing with people... Not interested... Between Ferris and non-ferrous I got about $750..
I needed one of the six radiator fan blades that I scrapped the following week...
:BangHead:... It cost me 20 bucks from a really good Mopar guy that sells parts close by... That $750 is now $730 lol and until I spend all that on things I could have kept I'm still feeling good about not having two tons of scrap metal around... Or some people put it parts I could use one day...

There idea of good and my idea of good is NEVER close. I want to hold it in my hand to visibly check it out. I looked at pics of a car and he had a for sale sign against the door panel, sure enough when I got there a rat hole was behind the sign. You better know what you’re looking at!

I've recently had experience with both craigslist and meta marketplace. It is the same people or the same type of people on both. Like most, I do not want random people coming to my house. I've had two people back out of a deal because I wanted to meet at the local Home Depot, not my house. One person called that a red flag and backed out of the deal. At least, he didn't waste more of my time by flaking when I was at the Home Depot

I've recently had experience with both craigslist and meta marketplace. It is the same people or the same type of people on both. Like most, I do not want random people coming to my house. I've had two people back out of a deal because I wanted to meet at the local Home Depot, not my house. One person called that a red flag and backed out of the deal. At least, he didn't waste more of my time by flaking when I was at the Home Depot

I never ever meet people at my home

Just last weekend a met a fellow fabo member at a BK parking lot

I tend to keep anything that could be a "spare part" to a vehicle I have.

Murphy's law applies doubly in that case, as jpar found out.

Last edited:
i am fed up with market place, i ta;led to a guy about a rust free fl truck cab ,he called me only sent pics of cab with doors open i asked for cab inner rocker pics he said its just as clean as outer rockers, so i drove 300 miles last friday to buy the truck ,get there at 3pm he wasnt there, he showed up at 330 by that time i had looked at truck and found there was very little left of the inner rockers they where frinking gone ... so i asked him why he lied about the cab being rust free? he said it is . the outer rockers are rust free, i said did you look under the truck?? he said oh NO i didnt look, im like i WASTED my time and fuel to look at a rusted out POS. i wanted to tell him what i really thought of him ,,,but i held back. so 665 in miles and $225 in fuel all because he was to lazy to look under the truck.

i tried 9 different people on fakebook to try to buy plastic totes. i messaged them 3-4 times each. finally got an answer from the last guy on the 2nd message to him. i reported all the others as phony/fake ads. i had money burning a hole in my pocket. finally got 40 bought.

I tent to keep anything that could be a "spare part" to a vehicle I have.

Murphy's law applies doubly in that case, as jpar found out.
I just don't have the property to handle holding all the stuff that I think I'd use one day. I was more than happy to get rid of 2 tons of scrap metal and $750 and paid $20 for a fan... There was a 73 power wagon on craigslist yesterday for $500... It was tempting but here we go again....

What year had no posts around the door windows?

there are a few people on this board and fbbo and truck site that are that way. send message after message and never reply. no posters on this thread fall on that list.

-
Back