Why is oil coming out of these?

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
Oil is shooting out of here. When the car is running my motor is shooting oil out of these damn little plugs in the intake. Why would it do that? The worse part is these plugs aren't coming out because they are pressed in.

Attachments

• WP_20141006_18_51_25_Pro.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 745
Ok here comes the dumb questions lol....what engine are you working on? WHat type intake is that? Do you have a good crankcase evacuation system? If those plugs are pressed in from the factory then that might be the simple answer, they were installed wrong or simply came loose. I remember back in the day we had a manifold with plugs and we ended up tapping them and putting short bolts with thread sealer in the holes, which would mean removing the manifold to do this. But hang tight there will be hundreds of theories and fixes coming your way so at least post what your working on to save them asking the same questions lol!! Good luck and keep us posted if you find a cure!

Is that a crosswind intake...with plugs for the magnum bolts?

if so...do you have the PCV hooke up? OIl vapor.....clean..and use some clear rtv around the plugs

ok..I see pcv hooked up in picture....

Is that a crosswind intake...with plugs for the magnum bolts?if so...do you have the PCV hooke up? OIl vapor.....clean..and use some clear rtv around the plugsok..I see pcv hooked up in picture....
Pro Comp intake on 340 motor. Aluminum pro comp heads as well. For the heck of it I checked the intake bolts and they were loose. Tightened them up and the little plug on right rear is spewing oil out everywhere.

You should use some liquid teflon on the intake bolts. The oils getting pushed up the bolt threads, collecting under the plug, then spitting out when there's enough there. I tapped and plugged them on the one I used because the plugs they gave you didn't fit well - as int he holes were sort of round and the plugs were sort of round but they didn't seat 100% around. Another magic part of the Crosswind.

Yours is the 2nd thread I've read lately concerning oil leaks. I think they come in 3s. - Or is that celebrity deaths?

The intake MRL installed on my 408 had similar plugs. I tried to remove a few that interfered with my throttle cable mount and couldn't get them out. I ended up just grinding them down. I would imagine that any of yours that are leaking might be removable with more effort. It sounds like a pain in the butt but I'd pull the intake off if you can't get the plugs out otherwise.

Yours is the 2nd thread I've read lately concerning oil leaks. I think they come in 3s. - Or is that celebrity deaths?

The intake MRL installed on my 408 had similar plugs. I tried to remove a few that interfered with my throttle cable mount and couldn't get them out. I ended up just grinding them down. I would imagine that any of yours that are leaking might be removable with more effort. It sounds like a pain in the butt but I'd pull the intake off if you can't get the plugs out otherwise.

Did yours leak as we'll? Mine literally spews oil out of it. I could literally power my oil pressure gauge off of this plug. Is that normal if the plug isn't sealed tight? Just started doing this out of the blue!

Did yours leak as we'll? Mine literally spews oil out of it. I could literally power my oil pressure gauge off of this plug. Is that normal if the plug isn't sealed tight? Just started doing this out of the blue!
Mine are dry as a bone. The intake was already installed on my motor by Mike at MRL when I received it. The only reason I attempted to pull out the back 2 plugs on the left side was the clearance issues with my linkage bracket. I sure couldn't get mine to budge. When I started grinding on mine I was afraid I might grind through but I figured that I'd pull the intake off if I did. Luckily they were pretty thick. I have less than 2 hundred miles on the motor so far. No oil leak issues anywhere but I did have a problem with the spark plugs not seating and switched to a tapered spark plug.

Previous owner of my 318 installed Edelbrock intake and valve covers and oil would leak onto the intake. Not as bad as you describe but a PIA nevertheless. Turned out the valve covers were hanging up on excess metal on the intake. No leaks after I ground away a bunch of material.

Perhaps by tightening the intake the valve cover to head gasketl was somehow upset???

Previous owner of my 318 installed Edelbrock intake and valve covers and oil would leak onto the intake. Not as bad as you describe but a PIA nevertheless. Turned out the valve covers were hanging up on excess metal on the intake. No leaks after I ground away a bunch of material.

Perhaps by tightening the intake the valve cover to head gasketl was somehow upset???

I did switch valve covers recently. The intake does have huge runners and it's possible they are hitting on it.

You should use some liquid teflon on the intake bolts. The oils getting pushed up the bolt threads, collecting under the plug, then spitting out when there's enough there. I tapped and plugged them on the one I used because the plugs they gave you didn't fit well - as int he holes were sort of round and the plugs were sort of round but they didn't seat 100% around. Another magic part of the Crosswind.

Yup....

[n=inkjunkie;1970594799]Yup....[/QUOTE]Nothing on this assembly has gone smoothly. None of the rockers cleared the valve springs. The intake requires a lot of rtv in the front and back of lifter valleys. Now I have oil puking out everywhere too. The valve covers won't seal above the headers. Everything has been a nightmare dealing with this pro comp stuff.

It seems for the majority the nightmares are still a good value.
Keep after it - the trade off for "least expensive" or even just "aftermarket" is almost always more attention to detail and minor spending on stuff you might never normally think about.

The joys of aftermarket parts. According to some, If you don't look forward to these sort of problems and you don't have more wear in the hood hinges than in the door hinges, you're not a enthusiast. Good luck with it.

The joys of aftermarket parts. According to some, If you don't look forward to these sort of problems and you don't have more wear in the hood hinges than in the door hinges, you're not a enthusiast. Good luck with it.
Definitely not a simple bolt on and roll. A lot of weird issues.

LOL Welcome to MY World! I do believe there is no such thing as "bolt on and go". Procomp to Jesel, its always something.
What did you do on the pro comp manifold to stop the oil leak at these Plugs ? Whatever you did seems to have worked , the pro comps you have used for customers seem to hold oil . Never had a problem with my Air Gap

Maybe I'm "behind the curve", but why use the Procomp manifold? I'd also like to know why do they have these plugs? Looks mickey-mouse to me.

Maybe I'm "behind the curve", but why use the Procomp manifold? I'd also like to know why do they have these plugs? Looks mickey-mouse to me.
Cost less fill bolt holes not used, mag holes on la engine ?

Well Im not 100% sure his oil leak is coming out the plugs. I could be coming out the valve cover. He needs to look into it further.
Its very common for SBM valve cover to hit the intake and leave a GAP between the valve cover and head. That's where my money is on the leak. I have to notch every valve cover to make room, and sometimes take some material off the intake as well!

They have the plugs because the intake is made for LA and Magnum. When used on a LA you put the plugs in the Vertical bolt holes for the Magnum holes to cover them up. Its not a totally bad intake. I have used many of them and so far it makes the same power as the RPM. Just might need a tweek here and there, but at $100 less than an RPM, it fits the budget when needed.

Sure its not a cracked oil sending unit spraying on intake manifold?

My bets the valve covers too. Every aluminum cover I have are notched. if the gaskets not permanently stuck could you loosen the intake and slide a small square of flat beer can to block off the hole like people do with heat risers. Just an idea.

I had to clearance my Weiand Stealth to clear my Holley valve covers.....both parts are made by the same company and they still needed "fit". My neighbor spent two days grinding the ARP heads studs of his sons BBC because they interfered with the headers and we all know how well their main studs fit the oil pump on SBM's....Welcome to engine building.

I had to clearance my Weiand Stealth to clear my Holley valve covers.....both parts are made by the same company and they still needed "fit". My neighbor spent two days grinding the ARP heads studs of his sons BBC because they interfered with the headers and we all know how well their main studs fit the oil pump on SBM's....Welcome to engine building.

We had to use head bolts with the ARP head studs for our 512 stroker because the 2 center outside studs would not clear our TTIs. And like almost everybody else has already said, we've had to notch most of our aluminum valve covers to clear the intake manifolds.

-
Back