Why To Never Buy Chinese Sh*t

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
Was out adjusting the valves today due to a tick. The lash was off a little bit on every valve. I had gotten about a third of the way through the sequence and dink............stud broke right off.

Cheap sh*it from China. PROFORM ROLLER ROCKERS. Don't buy them......seriously if you love your mopar
newstuffforruby002-1.jpg

The PO had installed these and now I know why someone told me to junk them right away. Well...that didn't take long to find the ticking. Just glad I wasn't on the road.

Wow glad you found that one before it became catastrophic sp?. I have always wondered about that procomp/proform stuff. The prices just seem to good to be true well I guess they are. I have some of their valve covers and other misc. accessories but I think I will leave it at that and buy the quality stuff for the inside of my motor. Thanks for sharing hopefully it keeps some other guys from wasting their money. Justin

oh man.. thats really bad. i dont have any of the cheap stuff on my car, because i know you get what you pay for from past experiences. but im glad you werent on the road when something decided to fall apart like that

Dave can you just order a better quality adjustment stud and lock nut? As long as the rocker itself is ok it might work.
Well as long as the made in China :protest: rocker is trustable.

Been searching for adjusters. I'll have to make a call I guess. Not a listed item on Summit or Jegs

Just found some made adjuster by Crane p/n 99802-16. The pushrods are made by Crane so that's good too. These will get me going again until I can afford to get some real adjustable rockers. Hiopefully the rockers themselves are not as bad as the adjusters.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/crn-99802-16.jpg

I have a bad feeling that this will be a waste of $50.

We have a newish brand come into the scene here in oz sponsoring major events .drag meets etc

Name ; ProComp, from yes you guessed it China
Results engine failures everywhere

I kept away from this brand but the price certainly sucked a few people going by what I have heard.

Benton

Glad there was no "On the road problems" with that.

The Proforms have that rep. Junk!

I would have never bought them myself. The previous owner installed them. Total junk is right.

There will those who say that was an uncomon failure. IMO, it is far more common than it should be. The knife set I bought when I moved out is Chinese Stainless steel. Out of 15 knives, three do not have rust spots on them. The metallurgy in China is not great. It's getting better, but I wont run the stuff until it's on par with items 50% more expensive. The Crosswind intakes are a much more brittle aluminum, and they dont machine as well and can crack pretty easy. There are differences in cheap and pricey parts. Only your builder or you can make that call. For me, risk is not worth it.

There will those who say that was an uncomon failure. IMO, it is far more common than it should be. The knife set I bought when I moved out is Chinese Stainless steel. Out of 15 knives, three do not have rust spots on them. The metallurgy in China is not great. It's getting better, but I wont run the stuff until it's on par with items 50% more expensive. The Crosswind intakes are a much more brittle aluminum, and they dont machine as well and can crack pretty easy. There are differences in cheap and pricey parts. Only your builder or you can make that call. For me, risk is not worth it.

Amen. I was working for an aircraft repair company in the early 90s. There was a rash of failures traced back to Chinese sourced grade 8 bolts. At least two people died as a result. The FAA determined that the Chinese source of the fastners had simply put grade 8 markings on standard bolts. Because per FAA requirements, we were able to track down and replace repairs we had made with questionable fasteners as well as junk thousands of dollars of inventory. We magnafluxed as removed and inventory fastners and in both cases found the material to be substantially porous. The as removed one we checked had also stretched. (So much for sending someone out for a bolt stretcher.)

Bottom line: If you have a fastener in a high stress/critical area, make sure it is the appropriate grade, made in USA, Canada, or Western Europe.

I won't even buy an EGG ROLL because I don't know what's in it.... Chinese aluminum rockers? Nope....

BTW: Dave, you interested in a set of Crane 1.5 roller rockers? I doubt I'm going to re-install them. PM me... 8)

I had a set of crane roller rockers that I over torqued and they snapped, crane had no data on the tightness. I later found out the torque is only supposed to be around 20 ft lbs. The material used in these things I guess is very hard and brittle and will not take high amounts of torque to snap.

In any event, learn from me, replace them - be carefull on the lock nut torque !

I had the exact same thing happen to my proform rockers, picture looked just like mine. I just bought some Crane Adjusters and haven't had anymore problems.

Was out adjusting the valves today due to a tick. The lash was off a little bit on every valve. I had gotten about a third of the way through the sequence and dink............stud broke right off.

Cheap sh*it from China. PROFORM ROLLER ROCKERS. Don't buy them......seriously if you love your mopar
newstuffforruby002-1.jpg

The PO had installed these and now I know why someone told me to junk them right away. Well...that didn't take long to find the ticking. Just glad I wasn't on the road.

that was me. watch for cracks at the shaft. do yourself a favor and recycle those with your old beer cans. a pushrod dropped thru a lifter hole and chunked by the cam into your piston skirt would suck.this may happen with those rockers. Dave please dont make me tell you i told you so.trash those rockers

I bought a set of those for the 440 I have been having pushrod issues with just to get an adjustable valvetrain. Sent them back. JUNK

I bought a set from Mancini when I rebuilt my 360 2 years ago. I had 2 break when I first installed them. Called Mancini and then they tell me they are made in china. They let me return them for a cam. The needle bearins on those are junk so even if you do find adjusters (I never did) they will break. If you have to have adjustable on a budget like I was use 273 or cranes ductile iron ones.

-
Back