Why? Why????

-

02sixxer

Reaction score
Murphy's law take full effect!

Snapped the last head bolt today. Torqued the first head to spec. Torqued the second and on the last bolt......... It snapped just as the torque wrench hit torque.

Was planning on putting the engine in this weekend but it'll have to wait two more weeks. :violent1:

Murphy's law take full effect!

Snapped the last head bolt today. Torqued the first head to spec. Torqued the second and on the last bolt......... It snapped just as the torque wrench hit torque.

Was planning on putting the engine in this weekend but it'll have to wait two more weeks. :violent1:

Section 3, Page 2, Line 13.....Breakage must always happen at the end of the project.....

Man that sucks, hopefully it snapped above the deck?

You will want to make sure the head bolts are not bottoming out in the holes and that they are tapped completely down the bolt hole. If the blocks decks or heads were cut (or cut more than a little) or the threads were not completely threaded far enough down the bolts can bottom out, and the torque reading is reached by that, rather than by the bolts stretching and holding like it's supposed to.

Like Moper said, you want to check ALL the holes. In a way, you're lucky you broke one, if you didn't squeeze those head gaskets right, you'd had more problems later.

Yes I did reuse them. They are not old though. The engine was built in 2010 with arp bolts. I changed out the heads to 915's. I thought they would be fine. I guess you learn as you go.

-
Back