Wi-Fi device detection

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So some may remember the squatter situation we dealt with thru most of 2021 and 2022. They’re off the property but the last several months, we will randomly hear people talking inside one of our barns. Mind you, the nearest neighbor we have is nearly a mile away.

Anyway, this morning, 3 of us again heard people having a conversation. Well at the same time, my laptop popped up a new Wi-Fi network was discovered. Again, no one else anywhere close. It then disappeared at the same time the voices stopped. 15 minutes later, it came back along with the voices.

I’ve tracked it to one of our barns, one particular corner of said barn but the size makes it a pain to track from there.

The squatters did have camera and other recording devices throughout the property and were ordered by the court under threat of criminal charges to remove them. Which they did as best we could tell at the time but we’re wondering now if there’s not something hidden watching us again.

Sounds paranoid, I know but two of the individuals that heard and saw this weren’t involved in the case and work for the local Utility company and were out this morning to work on the gas line.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to find this device

Try Googling "how to find hidden wifi devices". I'm NOT a techie but was curious and came up with several hits that may be helpful to you.

Top of the list:
Because hidden networks still communicate with other devices, it's possible to detect using a wireless network analyzer like NetSpot. NetSpot is a versatile wireless network analyzer that can instantly collect detailed information about all WiFi networks available in the area and present it as an interactive table.

So some may remember the squatter situation we dealt with thru most of 2021 and 2022. They’re off the property but the last several months, we will randomly hear people talking inside one of our barns. Mind you, the nearest neighbor we have is nearly a mile away.

Anyway, this morning, 3 of us again heard people having a conversation. Well at the same time, my laptop popped up a new Wi-Fi network was discovered. Again, no one else anywhere close. It then disappeared at the same time the voices stopped. 15 minutes later, it came back along with the voices.

I’ve tracked it to one of our barns, one particular corner of said barn but the size makes it a pain to track from there.

The squatters did have camera and other recording devices throughout the property and were ordered by the court under threat of criminal charges to remove them. Which they did as best we could tell at the time but we’re wondering now if there’s not something hidden watching us again.

Sounds paranoid, I know but two of the individuals that heard and saw this weren’t involved in the case and work for the local Utility company and were out this morning to work on the gas line.
Just don't walk around Neckid

Anyone have any suggestions on how to find this device
If you have a smart phone, you could try moving around the areas you suspect, and watch for a signal strength change while on the WiFi settings - for location of nearby devices.

Worth a try.

Stronger signals will be higher up the list.

If you suspect the barn area, trying switching off the power to that building.

Or if that doesn't work, inspect inside the distribution box - there may be some cleverly disguised wiring to power the device. No battery would last very long if the device is constantly sending out a signal.

On a PC laptop, go into settings, devices and search for anything on bluetooth, etc.

It won't tell you where it is, just that there is something around a detectable. Likely some type of ring camera hidden that has two way audio.

You may also be able to change the password on your router. New password should kill the connection to anything that has the old password looking for the router.

If you suspect the barn area, trying switching off the power to that building.

Or if that doesn't work, inspect inside the distribution box - there may be some cleverly disguised wiring to power the device. No battery would last very long if the device is constantly sending out a signal.
Did. Even killed the main at the meter. It still has power. Even after being off for 6 hours. I’m guessing it’s battery powered and wired into something somewhere to recharge

on a laptop, go into settings, devices and search for anything on bluetooth, etc.

It won't tell you where it is, just that there is something around a detectable. Likely some type of ring camera hidden that has two way audio.

You may also be able to change the password on your router. New password should kill the connection to anything that has the old password looking for the router.
Password changed. It whatever this is, is emitting it’s own Wi-Fi network. Labeled “you’re a jackass”

In windows, the first page that comes up will have a list of things that are active in the area.

Are they right on the naming reference? LOL

If you see that in the list, there is definitely something there and the hunt is on.

Likely a 5g type connection that is totally bypassing your network. I'd search your place top to bottom for hidden cameras, etc. until you have a clean sheet of devices you can positively identify.

As kiwi mentioned, the battery on these will run down if not maintained. Might be hardwired in somewhere.

Last edited:
If this was put in by the squatter, he used to do just this type of stuff professionally for various police departments… so he knows his **** about this stuff

In windows, trhe first page that comes up will have a list of things that are active in the area.
Yep, it’s coming up active. But doesn’t tell me what device , just that it’s a network labeled “you’re a jackass”

Password changed. It whatever this is, is emitting it’s own Wi-Fi network. Labeled “you’re a jackass”
Oh, there is something there for sure.

It might take a while to find it. Have another trusted Electrician come and inspect all your power distribution boards. Unless there's a hidden solar panel somewhere on a roof, or in a tree, there must be a connection somewhere on your property.

Here is an example of what I am meaning with the closest and strongest at the top - using my laptop...

WiFi example.jpg

The hidden one is next door - he's an IT guy working from home.

Here is an example of what I am meaning with the closest and strongest at the top - using my laptop...

View attachment 1716094318

The hidden one is next door - he's an IT guy working from home.
Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't delve into this too often.
It's possible to select and furhter identify whether its a device that connects to the internet (router and modem, or hotspot) or whether its a device like a printer that can connect to your network.

Correct me if I'm wrong because I don't delve into this too often.
It's possible to select and furhter identify whether its a device that connects to the internet (router and modem, or hotspot) or whether its a device like a printer that can connect to your network.
I'm no expert either, but you can also search for Bluetooth items nearby - although the range of such devices is typically 30 feet (10 metres if metric), before they drop off and become out of range.

WiFi can be made to travel quite a bit more - depending on the strength of the device.....I have seen WiFi travel around 109.3 yards (100 metres in metric) :p
That was a high output WiFi transmitter for a rural home.

I am fairly ce3rtain that you can only 'interrogate' known devices as to their properties, type and MAC configuration etc. Unless you have access to the device (electronically with password etc) you may not be able to determine what it is.
A lot of devices can be determined if you are familiar with Network hardware brands, names and models etc.

Sometimes people even change the device name to 'Printer...." etc

Whatever it is could be solar powered, I have 2 outdoor cameras that are solar powered wifi connected, both of which I can talk and listen through from my cell phone.

Whatever it is could be solar powered, I have 2 outdoor cameras that are solar powered wifi connected, both of which I can talk and listen through from my cell phone.
Possibly. But the barn in question has no windows and I climbed all over the roof today, there’s not evidence of solar panels

Get a couple of free ranging rottweilers and change the name of your wi-fi router to "FBI-VAN" ???

-
Back