Widest Tire/Wheel combo for a '72 Duster?

-

ramcharger

Dismember
Reaction score
I will most likeley be going with 16" rims as there is a huge selection of High Perf. street tires availible for a very reasonable prices in this diameter. I'm not a big fan of big wheels, but it seems ZR rated tires in 15" are becoming more rare as time marches on.

I would like to go with 235 or 245 in the front and 255+ in the rear in a 50+ series tire (I don't like skinny rubber either, no 45 series tires for me, lol!). Is this possible without a spring relocation and or tubs/body mods? What backspacing/offset would I need in a 16 x 8 rim to make this possible?

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

I had 255/60-15s on the back of the Duster. I just changed them out for 275/50-15s. Got them on 15x8 rims with 4 1/2 back space.
Fit with about 3/4 to 1 in clearance by the spring. Didn't move
the springs at all.

100_1176.jpg

Excellent information and thanks for the pic! I hear it's colder than a witches tit in a brass bra up there. Just talked to my Mom today and she was saying -20F and -40F with the wind chill. I hope that your staying warm next to the fire with the beverage of your choice!

I agree 28 in. tall is max, height on the tire,and 4.5 back spacing for 8 in. wide rim .
We ran the same tire as Brian in 2006, they work well Mickey Thompson street radial.

hey 7172duster my 74 duster has the complete caltrac setup in stock local, question is everything in factory local with a 15-8 with 4.5 backspacing will a 27-11.50 hoosier qtp fit and not hit anything, what do you think, i saw the pics of your car and it looked like you had some pretty good sized tires under it

hey 7172duster my 74 duster has the complete caltrac setup in stock local, question is everything in factory local with a 15-8 with 4.5 backspacing will a 27-11.50 hoosier qtp fit and not hit anything, what do you think, i saw the pics of your car and it looked like you had some pretty good sized tires under it

The 11.5 will probably rub on the upper wheel well on the outside unless you have your rear raised up considerably. We are currently runninga 9x30 hoosier light weight radial on a 10 in. rim. The lower front wheel well has been opened up app. 1 inch, and the inner wheel well has been rolled where he tire has a tendancy to rub. Dane
100_0240.jpg
[/IMG]

the way it sounds to avoid trouble i think i will just go with the 27-10.50 et streets, thanks guys

MikesDuster has 28X11.5 QTPs on his. His spring are in the stock location but I believe he used a spacer.

Up front I'm running Radir wheels 15x4 2 1/2 backspacing with mickey thompson sr radial 15x5 tire?
Out back radir wheel 15x10 with 5" backspacing, mickey thompson 28x12.5 ET streets. jysnflem

milan1.jpg

milan2.jpg

I agree 28 in. tall is max, height on the tire,and 4.5 back spacing for 8 in. wide rim .
We ran the same tire as Brian in 2006, they work well Mickey Thompson street radial.

Thanks Dane! Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks Dnfs!

Yes, I know it's an old thread but it looks like a 275/60-15 should fit on the rear of '72 Duster without having to mini-tub or move the springs inboard with 15x8 wheels on 4 1/2" of backspacing.

What about the front? I'd like to run 235 or 245/60 15's. Is this possible without moving the wheels way out or severley limiting my ability to park?

Yes, I know it's an old thread but it looks like a 275/60-15 should fit on the rear of '72 Duster without having to mini-tub or move the springs inboard with 15x8 wheels on 4 1/2" of backspacing.

What about the front? I'd like to run 235 or 245/60 15's. Is this possible without moving the wheels way out or severley limiting my ability to park?

255's on the front of my Demon, 25" tall. It all depends on your wheel backspace, ride height, front suspension, brake offset.....These have 8" wide w/ 6.5" of BS, nothing stock on this car though.

I have full turn w/ the racknpinion. I bought a couple of craigslist mustang wheels measured the backspacing and ordered my wheels accordingly. The pic is about 1/2" lower than ride height

9-22 updates 019.jpg

255's on the front of my Demon, 25" tall. It all depends on your wheel backspace, ride height, front suspension, brake offset.....These have 8" wide w/ 6.5" of BS, nothing stock on this car though.

I have full turn w/ the racknpinion. I bought a couple of craigslist mustang wheels measured the backspacing and ordered my wheels accordingly. The pic is about 1/2" lower than ride height

Excellent information! Thanks for the input. The 235's I'm looking at 26.10" tall and the 245's are 26.60" tall. Are you running an aftermarket K-Frame?

Check out 70duster440's site for a good look at 16's with 255's on the rear.
http://www.70duster440.com/index.html

I also have 16's, Cragar S/S 7" front with 3 7/8 backspace and 8" rear with 4 3/4 backspace but don't like the offset on the rear, not out far enough.
70duster440's fit better I think

I think a 4" backspace on the rear would be good, cause 3 1/2 gets too close to the quarter panel in my opinion.

I also had the 16x8 on the front with no interference and 17x9 4 1/2 backspace rear with 255's and they rubbed the quarterpanel slightly.

there are some pics with the 17" rears on this thread-- http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=40593

Thanks for the input charger! I really want to stick with 15" steels for the look I'm going after but I want it to perform well too and not be afraid of twisty roads.

OH, one more thing. these 16 and 17 Cragars are freakin HEAVY!!

Lol! Yeah, I changed my mind on the build. The original reason I wanted to go 16 was the availiblity of V rated tires in the width I was looking for.

Excellent information! Thanks for the input. The 235's I'm looking at 26.10" tall and the 245's are 26.60" tall. Are you running an aftermarket K-Frame?

Yes, AlterKtion. Pics once you get the setup plz..

-
Back