Wierd carpet question

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
I have a wierd carpet question. I was looking at carpets by ACC. I had ordered 2 different ones and sent them back because they fit like **** around the 4 speed shifter hump. I had bought an ACC carpet for a 69 charger 440 4 speed years ago and it fit perfectly around the 4 speed hump.

I am looking at ACC carpets on rock auto again. Theres a moulded 4 speed carpet for $144.79, then for a higher price of $214.79 theres the "Essex" moulded carpet. Whats the difference? Does "Essex" moulded mean it fits like its supposed to but you pay more so it fits correctly??

If so thats kinda effed up. The pics looked identical. If this is the case, why would they offer an ill fitting product and put their name on it.

I have a wierd carpet question. I was looking at carpets by ACC. I had ordered 2 different ones and sent them back because they fit like **** around the 4 speed shifter hump. I had bought an ACC carpet for a 69 charger 440 4 speed years ago and it fit perfectly around the 4 speed hump.

I am looking at ACC carpets on rock auto again. Theres a moulded 4 speed carpet for $144.79, then for a higher price of $214.79 theres the "Essex" moulded carpet. Whats the difference? Does "Essex" moulded mean it fits like its supposed to but you pay more so it fits correctly??

If so thats kinda effed up. The pics looked identical. If this is the case, why would they offer an ill fitting product and put their name on it.

Maybe they want to offer a good one that takes extra effort to fit right and also one for the cheaper crowd.
Passing up the "Shop for the best price" crowd would be a big mistake in my opinion.

I guess, however until i saw this on rock auto, i was under the assumption that their quality went down hill. I ordered mine thru 1Aauto.com. this website did not give me an option of anything other than auto, or standard shift, console, or no console. I went through the trouble of ordering and returning 2 ill fitting carpets from ACC.

I was told by people here that i need to use a heat gun to mould and press it in place. When i'd press it in place since my car is a non console 4 speed, the overlap seam in the tunnel area between the seats would get crooked, so i just rolled em up and called em junk and returned both of them. I will note i returned the first carpet, then they sent a second carpet, it was the same shitty fit. Those 2 experiences soured me on them.

Last edited:
At this point i have half a mind to spray the floorpan w black bedliner coating, snap in the rubber floor plugs and call it good like that. I do not want to spend my hard earned money again on something thats supposed to fit correctly, but they are too lazy to make it right. I have a feeling what i got was factory rejects. Like they were kicking em out saying well somebody will buy these and not care or know any better.

Last edited:
At this point i have half a mind to spray the floorpan w black bedliner coating, snap in the rubber floor plugs and call it good like that. I do not want to spend my hard earned money again on something that supposed to fit correctly, but they are too lasy to make it right. I have a feeling what i got was factory rejects. Like they were kicking em out saying well somebody will buy these and not care or know any better.
ACC quality sucks now. I know I am done with them. Trim Parts has really nice carpet.

I have the stockinterior carpet for my 66 and it fit's great,(yeah it sat in the sun for 6 hours @95* het till I got to put it in and a little trimming at the sill plate area and good to go.

The "Essex" carpet is just a better grade of cut pile compared to the regular cut pile carpet they usually use for your year car, more plush carpet more money you pay.
there is also a 500 and 600 series loop carpet same thing there
500-Series 80-20 Style Raylon Loop (nylon/rayon). what is weird is the blended 500 series is/has a better durability,less color fade than the more expensive(yet often correct for oem replacement) 600 series carpet.
-Series 100% Nylon Loop.

I'd recommend to never order a laytex backed, since they quite making them a couple of years ago except for large special orders due to deterioration problem. Mass backing is a plus and also a better fit to the floor pan. (again they recommend using heat or laying out in the sun to soften the carpet and it is HEAVY!) most installers do heat the carpet set to make the fit better.
nowadays 90% of the carpet sets are made off a computerized copy of the original floor pan and a slight alteration is needed by them so the fit is in between an auto of different years same similar floorpan and another pan for a 4 spd of different but similar years pan.

We have been selling both ACC and Trim Parts carpets as they predominately make 99% of the automotive replacement carpet. Everyone has a different opinion on which is the best and we have had issues with both suppliers. ECS does not manufacture the carpet that they sell. They purchase the carpet from ACC and have it shipped to them on a floor pan so that it can be shipped to the customer in a flat manner so that it is not all rolled up inside a small box. That is the reason for the extra expense.

-
Back