wierd issue

-

tyler_s18

k-member
Reaction score
so i am looking at getting my friends 88 ramcharger. he is sick of it and wants my truck so i think we could make something work lol. when he got it it was fuel injected. something was wrong so they switched it to carb its a 360 btw. they removed 'all computer componets' like o2 sensors, computers, etc i guess. now he can drive it to school in the morning when it is cold outside but when he trys to drive to work after it dies when it gets warm. i dont know if the coolant temp is wat he is talking about or if it is outside air. they said they thought the cat was plugged so they chopped them off. nothing so maby vapor lock so they made sure the lines were away from exhaust and put reflective tape in spots. now they are thinking maby valves. i think its a magnum motor cuz they said it was hydrolic. so what could i check? i would like to go back to fuel injection but dont know how bad its messed up lol thanks and i will check it out and maby put the motor from the scamp in it and drive it lol. he just built the engine i think so maby he messed something up

ya. i could use money tho so if i can get some cash on top i might do it. it also has a lot of good parts like a lift and good 35"s good body with good interior. it is almost built how i want mine just not the engine lol

I new a guy in the early 90s that had a Dodge ram with a 360. He could crank it in the morning and go to work but it ran funny. If he went up the road to the store lets say it would not crank until the motor was cold. He took it back to the dealership and they could not find what was wrong with it at all. He took it to them numerous times trying to "catch" what was the problem but no dice. For some reason the guy kept the truck but left it running on short runs into town. Sounds awfully familiar when I read your post.

Just be careful what you wish for... lol.

For One...if the truck has a 360 that is painted black, has 5 valve cover bolts, and formerly had Fuel Injection....we are talking about a Roller Cam 360 LA.

On the issue of it running cold, and dieing or not starting....I am pretty sure all engines require the same 3 basic things to run....Air, Fuel, and Spark...If it is lacking fuel it will stumble or never fire, if its lacking 12v power at the distributor...it will never hit a plug.

Mopars are Famous for Ballast Resistor BS.

Little problems can be fixed with the right know how and a step by step approach.

If the ramcharger is in better condition visually then your truck....and you want a Mopar SUV...I say go for it.

Easy... buy the MP ignition conversion. Replace the dist and module with MP and dont use the factory harness... wire it like it had points. Then just get the timing and carb tuned and you're there. no problem. Fix is under $300.

One thing that comes to mind is the fuel pump. If it still has the fuel injection pump in the tank it could be causing problems, what with the much higher pressures vs. carb requirements. Fuel pressure with injection is supposed to stay up to keep injectors loaded and would overpower needle and seat as the pump runs for a second or two after shut down.

-
Back