Will a starter alone move an automatic?

-

Max10

Reaction score
I know you can move a manual vehicle a short distnace under starter power alone. Can the same be done with a push button slant 6? if I put it in drive or reverse and crank, it cranks, but no movement occurs.

Automatic trans. has to have ATF pumping through them to make them move, as far as I know. Cranking the starter on a manual trans. is like direct drive when car is in gear.

If you have a super dooper quadooooooper tight torque converter and 5.13 gears, and a HP mini starter on 24V ...... then maybe. :D
Kidding aside, No, it's not going to move it.

Pull the Auto, put in a manual... works like a charm

pull the plugs, put it in neutral and let it rip with a deep cycle marine battery till the starter lead is too hot to touch. punch reverse and it *might* boogie.

No, it will not move. But also, you should not be able to crank the engine in drive or reverse. The starter should not engage due to the neutral safety switch.

LOL at some of the responses. The more you know, as they used to say on TV.
Neutral safety switch isn't working.

LOL at some of the responses. The more you know, as they used to say on TV.
Neutral safety switch isn't working.
No, but the PB trans can be push started/coast started, because of the rear pump driven by the output shaft.....something the later trannys do not have, so there's that.

Yea, he said it was a push button transmission in the first post.

Still the starter won't move the car because of the neutral safety switch. Even if you jumped it, I doubt it would because of the torque converter. The rear pump would make no difference.

I've often wondered if you could mod a non rear pump transmission with an external "boost" electric pump for push starting.

Even then, I doubt the starter would generate enough RPM to drive through the converter.

This is finna go to three pages and the answer is still a firm "NO". lol

-
Back