Will GM 200r4 work with factory floor shift location?

-
Not much going on today but I had a chance to run the wires under the car. There was a existing hole already (didn't want to make another hole in my body) so I found a perfect grommet, wrapped the wires with "LINERLESS TAPE", and ran then under the car. I also had to make a small bracket to support the wires under the car so that they don't hang or move around too much. Now I'm "set". Next week I'll probably run the wires over to the tranny switch and connect to see if everything works right. If it does I'll just leave it all hooked up to the shifter and it will be one less thing I'll have to worry about when I swap the trannys.
Anyone looking for a very, very low mileage (1500 miles) 904 that works perfect??? It will be available once I make the swap.

Treblig in Tex

Attachments

• DSC02154.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 359
  • DSC02155.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 349
I finally received the reverse light switch. For all those who own a '69 Mopar and plan to swap to a transmission that does not have the reverse light switch mounted on the tranny I have the easy solution. As it turns out many of the auto shifters prior to '69 used a reverse switch mounted inside the console and it also turns out that Mopar used the same or very similar shifter on many cars prior to '69. The '69 cuda shifter (like many other '69s) have the provision for the reverse light switch even though these cars were fitted with a tranny switch. If your shifter has the two threaded holes on the driver's side (like the first pic) of the shifter then you can easily mount a reverse light switch in your console without modification. I couldn't figure out how the switch worked from the pics but with the help of other members it turns out to be pretty simple. Now all I have to do is "brave" the cold and install it and check for functionality!!:blob:

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02118.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 371
  • DSC02156.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 361
  • DSC02157.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 374
Finally got the '69 cuda on the lift to test fit all my cross member pieces. I also connected the neutral safety and reverse light wires to my console. The pieces fit pretty close but I did have to do some minor grinding to clear this little corner or that little corner. I had previously drilled some pilot holes in the pieces (you'll have to read some of my previous posts) to use a guides to tell me where I had to drill for the new cross member bolts. Once I got everything positioned, level and square I used the pilot holes to transfer the hole location to the torque shaft brace that runs under the body. Once the pilot hole was transferred I removed the metal pieces and drilled the holes all the way through the brace. It all fit very close and should work real good. Tomorrow I put in the transmission cooler.
PS - If you happen to notice that some of the pieces are a too long or wide, I did this on purpose so that when I install the 2004R I have plenty of metal to get the tranny centered (left to right) and on the correct horizontal plane. Once I get the tranny exactly where it needs to be I'll drill some bolt holes to lock it in place, cut off all the excess metal, smooth and paint the pieces before final installation.
Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02171.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 364
  • DSC02170.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 376
  • DSC02168.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 361
  • DSC02167.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 388
  • DSC02164.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 370
  • DSC02162.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 390
  • DSC02161.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 391
  • DSC02160.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 381
  • DSC02159.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 376
I finally received the speedo cable extension. I don't know if everyone remembers but the 2004r speedo connection is further back than the 904 so the stock Mopar speedo cable won't reach. But luckily the size and thread of most speedo cables are the same so the GM speedo cable extension will actually connect to the stock Mopar cable. The 2004r socket/connection is just behind the trans lower cross member. I didn't want the speedo cable hanging underneath the frame (gotta have a place to jack the car) so I drilled (step drill) some holes in the frame to snake the speedo cable to the place it needed to be. I'm doing all this work now so that (when I swap trannys) I won't have as much work and won't run into any surprises. It will also let me have very little down time for my precious Cuda. The second pic is the cable entering the frame and the last pic is the cable exiting the front frame. The third pic shows the cable below the frame I will eventually put a hole in the area as well to keep the cable out of harms way. I didn't make the second hole in the frame because I still drive the car and if I leave the cable extension connected and routed through the frame holes my speedometer won't work (still using the 904) . I also fitted the front brackets that will hold the front belly pan (at least that what I call it, pics later). I'm also installing the trans cooler (pics later).

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02175.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 363
  • DSC02174.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 372
  • DSC02173.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC02172.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 359
  • DSC02170.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 352
SORRY...I forgot to include pics of the speedo cable extension. They come in various lengths for GM cars but will also work on many cars because the fittings are alike. The one I bought was 20" long... $19.95). You can see the extension attached to the Mopar stock speedo cable.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02176.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 360
  • DSC02177.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 359
  • DSC02178.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 352
Got the trans cooler in the cuda today and ran the rubber trans hoses. Had to make some large holes in the radiator support to pass the hoses to the rear of the radiator (with rubber grommets). I plugged them on the backside until I install the 2004R. Also wrapped and tied down the safety neutral and back up light wires. I also took some pics of the mag truck 2 1/4" exhaust manifold as it passes the torsion bar/oil filter area (in case anyone is interested).

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02191.JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 315
  • DSC02189.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 345
  • DSC02185.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC02196.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC02194.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 362
  • DSC02188.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC02187.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 372
Finally got the cuda off the car lift. Pre-fitted all my homemade 2004r tranny/cross member brackets and found no problems. Tested the speedo cable extension and rerouted the cable. Put a some undercoating on the underside. I also found one interesting fact...if you install a rod end in the car (under the console) like I did you can't remove the lower torque shaft brace/arm. The torque shaft has to be able to move side to side in order to remove the lower bracket. Since I had the upper rod end in place the shaft is rigid. It rotates easily but won't move side to side. This won't be a problem but it was unexpected. It tells me that the upper rod end will adequately support the shaft after I cut off the lower half of the torque shaft. Got the Neutral Safety switch and the pre-'69 reverse light switch installed wired and working. It was probably more trouble removing the console than anything else. My gauges and stereo are mounted under the A/C so I had to remove the gauges to get the console out. Anyway, while I was under the console I also wired in a back-up system for the neutral safety switch. I figured that if the N/S switch ever failed I wouldn't want to have to remove the console in some parking lot to get the car started so I wired in a regular toggle switch from the N/S to the toggle switch then to ground. I'll mount the back-up N/S switch (on a small bracket) just under the console lip so I can reach it by sliding my hand/fingers under the driver's side console. No one will know it's there but if the shifter mounted N/S switch ever fails I can still start my car. For those who may not know (most of you probably know) the neutral safety wiring is simply a ground wire that normally runs (in my car) to the transmission and when the car is in PARK or NEUTRAL the wire is grounded by a pawl in the tranny. All I had to do is cut/spice in a wire to go to the shifter switch (see previous posts) that I bought at the Auto Parts. The reverse light is just as simple, it has two wires that get connected when the car is in reverse. When I install the 2004r I won't have to worry about these switches since they are already connected and working from the console. I am quickly running out of things to do to prepare the Cuda for the new tranny. I feel as if I forgotten something but really can't think of anything else??? I guess I just start porting the heads for the 318/390 STROKER>:burnout:

Treblig

Attachments

• $(KGrHqFHJCEFINDlGMmkBSHKg9uoVw~~60_57[1].jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 342
  • DSC02198.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC02202.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 340
  • DSC02203.JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 325
Finally received the Hardened Pump stator support. Now I have to wait for all the other stuff. I think I've decided to go with the 1600-1800 GN torque converter , non luck up with brazed fins. I don't plan on doing any racing just the occasional ROMP in the street.

treblig

Attachments

• DSC02205.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 337
  • DSC02204.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 350
Finally got my 2004r hardened sun shell!!. Also ordered the 1800 stall non lock-up torque converter with brazed fins. Also just bought a '67 Fastback Cuda body, no motor or trans but lots of parts to sell. Body isn't bad at all but I already have a nice fastback so I don't need another project. Will be advertising body and parts very soon. The '67 Cuda does have a much larger rear end than mine had, I'll be selling that too. It also has some nice old wide aluminum wheels look like large bolt pattern. Will post pics soon as I sort through everything.

treblig

Attachments

• DSC02239.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 336
  • DSC02240.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 312
Cool thread,been following for quite a while now. Curious as to what h.p level you are building for,and what the $$ investment is so far.

Cool thread,been following for quite a while now. Curious as to what h.p level you are building for,and what the $$ investment is so far.

Thanks for keeping up with my labor of love (SPEED!!). Close as I can figure I've spent about $891 not including parts for the 390 stroker. But then again, I'm going way overboard on some of these things because I'm crazy and I like to make stuff. My plan was to build a 390 stroker with around 375/400 HP. But the more I think about it I'm wondering how the car will launch with the lower 1st gear (2004R) and 4:10s in the rear. The 318 in my Cuda run real good. I already have a new posi in the rear end. If it launches like I want I may not have to build the 390??? I've bought the rods, adj rockers, heads and valves already and all I need is the crank , pistons, cam kit & timing chain. So I'm pretty close. If it car does well with the tranny and gears I might just sell the engine stuff...but we'll see. The 390 sounds so sexy:burnout:.
Thanks again for reading my posts. I wish more folks would comment or suggest, I'm flying blind here!!!

PS- I just bought a '67 fastback Cuda for parts. It's a pretty nice body with no front suspension, no engine, no tranny but it does have a bigger rear end with these neat wide aluminum wheels. Real nice front and rear stainless!! It also has the grill stuff and many interior parts. I hate to do it but I'll probably cut it up for parts to sell. I'll post pics tomorrow. Maybe somebody can tell me what type of rear it has.

Treblig

Interesting. I know how you feel about the lack of replies,but dont let it discourage you. Lots of guys here are lurkers,and only read. And it is hard to draw much attention unless you have a billion $$ build.

I like your approach. You make a ton of stuff yourself,as compared to the wallet guys just buying premade. I am much the same way.Thats the true hotrod spirit,make it yourself and make it fit. A lot of wacky combo's have been built from junk,and outrun the big $$ wallet cars..

I am interested in the 200r4. It seems to be a good fit behind a big block in an A body. There is one available locally for $150.

Im following for sure, keep up the good work!!! OD is in my future & this seems like a easy choice... I stashed a 2nd neutral safety on my car too, good plan!

JOE

I'll get there, it's just a matter of time. The torque converter should be here in three weeks and while I wait I plan to order the rest of the tranny parts. In the last couple of weeks I have managed to clean and undercoat the underside of the Cuda, readjusted the front anti-sway bar, installed headlight relays, built a center armrest (upholstered top to be done today), installed trans cooler, sealed the trunk exhaust leak, stabilized the giant speaker/amp box I built (it mounts behind the back seat). I've never talked about my 500 watt speaker system, it's pretty bad @ss. Maybe I'll take some pics of it, It's so well hidden nobody even knows or realizes that it's there until I blow their ear drums out!!!!! I also made and installed some seat belt extensions and built a box (plastic housing) for my electric seat controls. I found the vacuum leak in my heater/AC system that I had ever since I bought the car and ordered a replacement vacuum control (the one that is attached to the heater/AC buttons) . Sent my speedo off to get repaired. So I've been busy while I collect my tranny stuff.

Treblig

Just to keep the thread alive while I wait for the rest of my 2004R parts. Here are some pics of the KILLER arm rest I designed and built while waiting for the tranny parts. It's nice and sold and well padded. I also built it high enough to be able to open and access the console compartment. I'm still planning on adding another part to attach just in front of the arm rest (like a small cubby) to put my cell phone and garage door opener, change, etc.

Now I can cruise and hold the steering wheel with my arm resting on a nice solid pad.

treblig

Attachments

• DSC02511.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 262
  • DSC02510.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 281
  • DSC02509.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 282
  • DSC02508.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 274
  • DSC02507.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 276
  • DSC02506.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC02505.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC02504.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 301
A few folks have asked "what's going to happen if there's not enough clearance for the shifter torque shaft once the 2004R is installed?" Well all my measurements say that there's enough clearance but if there is not enough clearance here's the back up plan. See PICS,
Put a small hole in the floor and snake a trans cable from the floor shifter, through the floor, around the back of the trans and over to the 2004R shifter lever. The cable shown here is missing the eyelet but they sell the one I need.
Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02555.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC02554.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 271
  • LOK-1825_xl[1].jpg
    21 KB · Views: 202
Well it's been a while waiting on tranny parts and checking on prices and transmission shops. I decided to go with TransPartsWarehouse. I had bought many trans parts from this place in the past and after talking to Mike about my 2004R I found out that this place is the cat's MEOW!!! They have a Half Million dollar Dyno (for lack of a better word) that they test their trannys on. Mike is going to have his guys tear down my tranny, let me take some pics along the way then test it with my new non lock up converter on their Dyno (see pics). The converter was made to order by Precision. It's a non lock, 27 spline, with brazed fins and new snout.
They can test almost any tranny on this thing (Dyno) and have adapters out the ying yang!! They keep a large stock of all kinds of trannys. They actually load test the tranny as it goes through the gears that way I can be sure everything is working properly before installation. I should be getting real close to installation in a few weeks.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02630.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC02629.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC02628.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 244
  • DSC02627.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC02626.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC02631.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 251
Wow!That's a lot of transmissions! Is implied that these guys build to spec,and then test. So are they reasonable cost wise? Ie;What would they want for a 200r4 that holds 700 h.p? And do they have a websight?

Wow!That's a lot of transmissions! Is implied that these guys build to spec,and then test. So are they reasonable cost wise? Ie;What would they want for a 200r4 that holds 700 h.p? And do they have a websight?

As far as cost goes. They're charging me $600 LABOR. I thought that was a super good price for complete overhaul, installing a shift kit and testing on their Dyno. I had some of the HD parts for the 2004R already and a list of items I wanted checked/replaced. Mike told me they would check it out and only use the items off my list that would help me get the transmission I'm looking for. I'm not building a super RACE tranny. In fact I never plan to go to the drag strip. But I did tell Mike that I plan to swap out my 318 for a 390 stroker so I wanted a heavy duty transmission that shifts FIRM but not HARD (daily driver)!! I have a list of HD parts I wanted for the 2004R but nobody had asked about my list so I hadn't bothered to post it. Not too many FABO members have interest in putting a 2004R into a Mopar. But there aren't too many ways to drive 75MPH cruising at 2600 RPM running 410 gears in a '69 Cuda.

PS - If that's a Canada flag in your information block you're a long way from me!! South Texas
Treblig

Yup,im Canada! But it never hurts to investigate all possibilities,in fact sometimes it saves me some $$. Not so this time,lol..Im thinking it's gonna actually be cheaper in the long run to hunt down an 18 spline 833..

This is a great write up! Quite easy to keep up with too :D the interior looks amazing

This is a great write up! Quite easy to keep up with too :D the interior looks amazing

MoparDaddy, Thanks, I really appreciate it. Just doing my best to repay other members for all the help they have given me.

Treblig

Forgot pics of the non locking 1600-1800 stall torque 2004R converter.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02625.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 256
Man these guys don't fool around. They're following my instructions to the letter on this tranny. They've tore it down, found all the weak/worn parts, replaced every single bushing (very important), replaced clutches and steels, tossed out the old pump body (it was still usable but it had minor scoring...SEE PICS), they are using the shift kit instruction sheet to make all the modifications to improve shifting and fluid pressures, new ten vane pump, replacing servos with HD ones, valve body mods, installing non lock up kit , they're even drilling the 1/4" hole in the front pump drain to improve flow. It's looking great!!!!
I'm so HAPPY!!!!!:wav:

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02657.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC02658.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 221
  • DSC02659.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC02656.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC02655.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 220
  • DSC02654.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC02653.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC02652.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC02651.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 279
  • DSC02650.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 230
OOOPS!! I accidently started a new thread to show my back up safety switch. I meant to put it here. Don't know how to delete a thread.

treblig

Attachments

• DSC02679.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC02680.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC02681.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC02682.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 251
-
Back